User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
inkdwheels OP
Negro Please.

Oddometer: 1,081
Bike to car communications?

My wife and I are moving to ATL in a couple weeks. She will be driving and I will be riding. We would like to find a way to talk to each other without using a cell phone. It would be a bonus if I could use my mp3 player with the setup as well.

I know there have been a dozen threads on communication gear, but im not sure about short range bike to car type stuff.

Thanks
inkdwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
brfinley
Brooster

Oddometer: 426
These are things that I use:

RAM Mount ~$35
MotoComm helmet set ~$60
Some kind of FRS/GMRS Radio ~$70

This is about the cheapest way that works. if you buy something more expensive like StarCom1 or Baehr which will allow multiple connections like an MP3, cell phone, etc. and possibly improved performance with wind noise.

You can also get a better quality GMRS radio like Icom IC-F21GM that has a detachable antenna. This will allow you to use an external antenna that can be positioned better (outside, high, vertical, away from signal blockers like your body). This is the best way to improve your communication range. If you are going to be riding in fairly close proximity, that would be overkill. If you get separated and aren't sure if you are ahead or behind, it could help.

Another interesting possibility is to substitute a Garmin Rhino instead of a regular GMRS radio. These will give you position reporting over the radio to your partner in addition to normal GPS and radio functions. They aren't cheap though.

Or.....chuck the whole idea. Are you old enough to remember Saturday Night Live? Weekend Update? Garret Morris doing the recap for the hearing impaired?

Happy motoring, and HAVE A PLEASANT TOMORROW.

BRF
brfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Question

I know this thread is long-dead... But I'm wondering if anyone can provide some updated links/info about possible bike-to-car communication solutions? I'd love to mount a CB to the bike as our vehicles already have them set up. But, I've only found one motorcycle CB on the market and it seems excessively expensive. I'm not necessarily against the idea of mounting a small car CB on the bike, I'm just worried about water... There's that, and the fact that CBs require some amount of on-the-fly maintenance with squelch and what not; something that I'd rather not have to worry about while riding.

I'd also like a mic/headset system that allows auxiliary inputs. So, to sum it up, something that can be used bike-to-car, bike-to-bike, and for music/podcasts/whatever. Can anyone offer some insight? Please and thank you as always.

wolfbuzz screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 09:10 PM
wolfbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
This is simple. Mount the Sena SMH-10 to your helmet and pair your cell phone to it. She can communicate either with her cell phone, or you can purchase a Sena headset (better choice) for her. Sena's been making hands-free headsets for years.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrog View Post
This is simple. Mount the Sena SMH-10 to your helmet and pair your cell phone to it. She can communicate either with her cell phone, or you can purchase a Sena headset (better choice) for her. Sena's been making hands-free headsets for years.
This. I use a Sena. There are other comparable brands, but it seems like Sena is leaping ahead of the others.

Pair with your smartphone. Use it for music. Use it to call whoever you want. Get a second one so when your wife rides with you.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,523
I use an autocom and have it plugged into a two way radio. I talk to my kids this way in a nearby car with them having another radio. I also have the autocom paired to a cell in my tankbag, which also provides the music.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=39
Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 275
Loving my Sena... they have CB capabilities and I believe they have Ham radio capability. The new model just came out, the SENA 20S.

FTL900 screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 03:04 PM
FTL900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbuzz View Post
I know this thread is long-dead... But I'm wondering if anyone can provide some updated links/info about possible bike-to-car communication solutions? I'd love to mount a CB to the bike as our vehicles already have them setup up. But, I've only found one motorcycle CB on the market and it seems excessively expensive. I'm not necessarily against the idea of mounting a small car CB on the bike, I'm just worried about water... There's that, and the fact that CBs require some amount of on-the-fly maintenance with squelch and what not; something that I'd rather not have to worry about while riding.

I'd also like a mic/headset system that allows auxiliary inputs. So, to sum it up, something that can be used bike-to-car, bike-to-bike, and for music/podcasts/whatever. Can anyone offer some insight? Please and thank you as always.
The two most popular interfaces (they allow you to connect a headset to a phone/radio/mp3/etc.) are made by Senha and Scala. Look through the threads here in the equipment forum for info about the different models, capabilities, etc.

As for worrying about water, if you want a waterproof radio with buttons suitable for use while wearing your gloves, you're going to pay good money, and there's really no way around that. If you're willing to get a radio that's not weather-resistant, and do the work yourself to get it sealed/protected, remote mount an antenna, wire in power, etc., then you can spend less money...but you spend a bunch of time and effort, and the quality of your results depends directly on the patience, thoroughness, and effort you put into the installation.

In my use, I've never wanted a radio/phone/mp3 to use while I'm riding. That's as much about my preferences as anything else, but from that starting point, I've always just talked with other riders/vehicles, and agreed on some hand signals, and circumstances where one vehicle/person would stop and wait for the other, stop and call the other, etc. I've found that approach took care of what we needed to take care of, on the road (and literally, 'road'; we didn't do any off-road riding).

HTH!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,106
I think a Midland FRS set and then get the compatible MC headset for yourself and be done with it.

Might be the cheapest way into a setup but probably won't work with mp3.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:25 AM   #11
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
If you're dead set on a CB setup there is one "car" CB that I really like, I'll have to dig it out to get your the make and model but it is tiny, it's about the side of two packs of cigarettes sitting side by side, maybe a little smaller.

I wanted a CB for Alaska, one of the few places where CB use is almost mandatory if you want information on road conditions from truckers.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I appreciate the replies, everyone! Definitely some stuff to think about here... An inmate has actually contacted me and is willing to sell his old J&M Motorcycle CB.