Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
GOZFST OP
Gozfst

Oddometer: 195
Pissed 2730 XM Weather Activation

Here's my story my wife and I bought 2 2730's last fall I used mine on the bike until I put it away for the winter. I activated XM Radio and weather at the time. They both worked great. When I put the bike away for the winter I canceled the weather because I also got traffic and that didn't work very well so I canceled the traffic not knowing traffic and weather are one upgrade. I tried to reactivate this spring and have had no luck. We've spent hours on the phone with XM but they say it's activated but I just kept getting the "Waiting for subsription" message. I gave up thinking there was something wrong with my unit. Tonight we activated her 2730 for the radio and weather. Her's is the same deal,radio works but no weather. Anyone else have this problem? If so how was it resolved?
Thanks
GOZFST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOZFST
Here's my story my wife and I bought 2 2730's last fall I used mine on the bike until I put it away for the winter. I activated XM Radio and weather at the time. They both worked great. When I put the bike away for the winter I canceled the weather because I also got traffic and that didn't work very well so I canceled the traffic not knowing traffic and weather are one upgrade. I tried to reactivate this spring and have had no luck. We've spent hours on the phone with XM but they say it's activated but I just kept getting the "Waiting for subsription" message. I gave up thinking there was something wrong with my unit. Tonight we activated her 2730 for the radio and weather. Her's is the same deal,radio works but no weather. Anyone else have this problem? If so how was it resolved?
Thanks
This may seem obvious, but you do know the weather and radio package is connected to the XM antenna and not the GPS unit. You could techically share one Garmin XM puck between different units and the weather/XM would transfer? I figure you do know this, but just want to be sure.

Hmm, have you checked your account online to see what subscriptions it has? Also, anytime I activate the weather part, I always have to get transferred to another group. The same people that activate the XM, don't activate the weather? I have a Garmin puck with XM/weather and it works fine between my 376, 478 and 2820
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
GOZFST OP
Gozfst

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
This may seem obvious, but you do know the weather and radio package is connected to the XM antenna and not the GPS unit. You could techically share one Garmin XM puck between different units and the weather/XM would transfer? I figure you do know this, but just want to be sure.

Hmm, have you checked your account online to see what subscriptions it has? Also, anytime I activate the weather part, I always have to get transferred to another group. The same people that activate the XM, don't activate the weather? I have a Garmin puck with XM/weather and it works fine between my 376, 478 and 2820
My account says I don't have weather. I wasn't aware that I could share the antennae , but we would want our own idividual ones to listen to XM on each of our bikes, but thanks for the tip.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
My account says I don't have weather. I wasn't aware that I could share the antennae , but we would want our own idividual ones to listen to XM on each of our bikes, but thanks for the tip.
I hear you about having 2 XM antenna's. My wife and I have 2 also so we can both listen to XM each. I'm assuming you are just getting the basic weather with the 2730. It sounds like whoever you spoke with at XM didn't exactly know what they were doing. Like I said, every time I do anything with my weather package, I have to get transferred to a different group.

Try this number. 1-800-985-9200
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Mr. FantaStik
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Just so you know, XM has some 1 yr subscriptions available for only $77. Just tell them you saw an ad on the internet and would like to get the same deal. It will be extra with the weather and traffic but the yr sub. is cheap.

FWIW, I cancelled all my subscritions with XM because at one point when I only wanted to cancel two out of three subscriptions (I didn't really use the two), they made it so hard to get out by putting me on hold for a long time, transferring me to various depts, and then finally hanging up on me. Hanging up once, ok maybe it was a bad connection, but four times?! When I finally got someone's ear when I told them I was closing the billing account that they have on record (so they can't charge anything anymore), I finally just cancelled all my subscriptions. Good riddance.

'06 KaTooM 950ADV S
'03 SV650 Naked

Mr. FantaStik screwed with this post 06-05-2009 at 10:03 PM
Mr. FantaStik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
GOZFST OP
Gozfst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. FantaStik
Just so you know, XM has some 1 yr subscriptions available for only $77. Just tell them you saw an ad on the internet and would like to get the same deal. It will be extra with the weather and traffic but the yr sub. is cheap.

FWIW, I cancelled all my subscritions with XM because at one point when I only wanted to cancel two out of three subscriptions (I didn't really use the two), they made it so hard to get out by putting me on hold for a long time, transferring me to various depts, and then finally hanging up on me. Hanging up once, ok maybe it was a bad connection, but four times?! When I finally got someone's ear when I told them I was closing the billing account that they have on record (so they can't charge anything anymore), I finally just cancelled all my subscriptions. Good riddance.
My wife stumbled on the sort of solution. The only way to get the weather to work was to go online and sign up and pay for a 1 year subsription. I t started to work. She then made the mistake of calling them to verify the pricing and cancel one radio we don't use. The "Help" at XM assured she could cancel the traffic and keep just he weather. The also said we could pay monthly instead of yearly, BUTT since the monthly charge is less than $5 they would bill us every other month. So we fell for it. Yep traffic went away and so did weather.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Oddometer: 1,154
I am having the same problem with my 2730!!!!! Any word on whats going on?

-Shawn

Quote:
Thanks
QUICKDRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKDRAW
I am having the same problem with my 2730!!!!! Any word on whats going on?

-Shawn
What weather package are you trying to sign up for? I would assume you would be signing up for the "SkyWatch" for $9.99/mo - http://www.xmwxweather.com/marine/da...e-pricing.html

All the other weather packages, you need a chart plotter gps like the 376c/478 to see?

Did you try this number I gave the OP - 1-800-985-9200
Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

I am currently on hold with them, but did manage to log in to my online account... which says I have: XM NavWeather Service???

-Shawn

Quote:
What weather package are you trying to sign up for? I would assume you would be signing up for the "SkyWatch" for $9.99/mo - http://www.xmwxweather.com/marine/da...e-pricing.html

All the other weather packages, you need a chart plotter gps like the 376c/478 to see?

Did you try this number I gave the OP - 1-800-985-9200
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Update: XM said the same thing they had been saying the last four times I called them...... "Put your radio within view of the sky, and put it on the map page"

No Help..

-Shawn

Quote:
I am currently on hold with them, but did manage to log in to my online account... which says I have: XM NavWeather Service???

-Shawn
Old 06-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
2500hd4x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I have gone through this twice with my 2730. The upshot of it is, is that NavWeather will not work without NavTraffic activated. Even though it is a seperate package and they say it will, it won't. Even they don't know why.....Finally got sick of screwing with it (on hold with XM forever) and called the 1-800-985-9200 for weather/traffic/data services that is buried on XM's uninformative website, complained in a nice manner and got NavTraffic turned on for free. NavWeather/Traffic is a separate company from XM and that is what the above number is for. Now everything works. Good luck.
2500hd4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
QUICKDRAW
Bug Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hd4x
I have gone through this twice with my 2730. The upshot of it is, is that NavWeather will not work without NavTraffic activated. Even though it is a seperate package and they say it will, it won't. Even they don't know why.....Finally got sick of screwing with it (on hold with XM forever) and called the 1-800-985-9200 for weather/traffic/data services that is buried on XM's uninformative website, complained in a nice manner and got NavTraffic turned on for free. NavWeather/Traffic is a separate company from XM and that is what the above number is for. Now everything works. Good luck.
Hmm.... wonder how I am going to convince them to credit me for the past 10 months?

-Shawn
Old 06-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Don't some XM receivers get Navtraffic through a different antenna then the GXM30? Maybe they offer two different weather packages?

I don't think the GXM30 accepts Navtraffic?

I just looked online and my subscription says:
XMWX Marine XM WX Master Mariner Service

Are you guys finding a different XM Weather service? Whats the monthly rate?

Edit: Found this page that says XM Weather is free with a subscription to XM NavTraffic. And it specifically lists the 2730 in here - http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/existing/XM_NavTraffic.pdf
Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
2500hd4x
Adventurer

Quote:
Hmm.... wonder how I am going to convince them to credit me for the past 10 months?

-Shawn
Explain the situation (firmly) and be nice? Worked for me.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
2500hd4x
Adventurer

Quote:
Don't some XM receivers get Navtraffic through a different antenna then the GXM30? Maybe they offer two different weather packages?

I don't think the GXM30 accepts Navtraffic?

I just looked online and my subscription says:
XMWX Marine XM WX Master Mariner Service

Are you guys finding a different XM Weather service? Whats the monthly rate?

Edit: Found this page that says XM Weather is free with a subscription to XM NavTraffic. And it specifically lists the 2730 in here - http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/existing/XM_NavTraffic.pdf
XM Nav Weather and traffic both work (TOGETHER Only) on my GXM 30 w/my 2730.....That may be how they are getting it to work. I am paying $16.94 for all music channels and XM Weather on my subscription.