Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 AM   #16
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Edit: Found this page that says XM Weather is free with a subscription to XM NavTraffic. And it specifically lists the 2730 in here - http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/existing/XM_NavTraffic.pdf
Quote:
In addition to the real-time traffic data, the XM NavTraffic service also includes basic weather information as part of the activation at no extra cost. The basic weather information includes: County Warnings, Current Conditions, and City Forecast. This basic weather information is nation wide and not limited to only the markets covered by the NavTraffic service. The source of the weather data is the same source as the XM WX Satellite Weather service, through our partner WxWorx. Note that not all devices that are capable of XM NavTraffic can support the basic weather data. Currently, only the Garmin 2730 and 7200/7500 StreetPilot products enable the basic weather information.
I think we may finally have an answer.

If you also look at the manual for the xm puck for the 2730 http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Stree...nersManual.pdf It does not show the same images that are available on the 376/478.

I was pointing QD at the Marine packages last night when I downloaded the manual and looked at the images and saw it was different. No Nexrad radar, just the weather map.

So I think the short answer is that they Marine Packages will not work on the 2730. They work on my 376c just fne, but it's a different unit with different screen and hardware.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #17
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave

So I think the short answer is that they Marine Packages will not work on the 2730. They work on my 376c just fne, but it's a different unit with different screen and hardware.
and Firmware too. Nexrad only works on the chart plotters and aviation GPS's.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #18
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
I think we may finally have an answer.

If you also look at the manual for the xm puck for the 2730 http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Stree...nersManual.pdf It does not show the same images that are available on the 376/478.

I was pointing QD at the Marine packages last night when I downloaded the manual and looked at the images and saw it was different. No Nexrad radar, just the weather map.

Yeah, I knew the 2730 didn't do Nexrad and all those other picture images the chart plotters do like the 376/478. That's why I figured those guys only had the SkyWatch package, but maybe you are right that it can't support that basic weather either. I have a 2820 also that can take the XM puck and do XM radio and I guess show weather, but I don't like the way it does XM, so I rarely hook it up to the Garmin GXM-30. I may try it and see if the basic weather comes through. I guess if it doesn't then you are on to something. I didn't think my 2820 supported traffic though, so I was assuming the 2730 didn't either, but maybe they differ that way.

Good luck to both guys having issues. Its aggravating for sure.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:13 AM   #19
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,271
2820 and the 2730 both support traffic, I have done it, just like the zumo. The poor man WX that works on those devices is the freeby incorporated with traffic.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #20
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
2820 and the 2730 both support traffic, I have done it, just like the zumo. The poor man WX that works on those devices is the freeby incorporated with traffic.
Interesting, I did not know that. You learn something new everyday.
Of course, I really haven't had my 2820 that long and the only other GPS in this family I've been used to operating was the 2610 unit.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #21
Eagleavn
EagleAvn

Oddometer: 111
XM Music

Do you have to buy that $250 dollar antenna just to get the music stuff. I have no need of weather and traffic, I just want to hear the music.

Thanks,
Eagleavn
2008 Honda CRF450X
Eagleavn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #22
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleavn
Do you have to buy that $250 dollar antenna just to get the music stuff. I have no need of weather and traffic, I just want to hear the music.

Thanks,
Eagleavn
Yes, you need the GXM-30 puck which basically is the XM service all built in, but the GPS is able to extract it. The XM service is tied to the puck, not the GPS. if you have multiple GPS's that can accept the antenna, you can move it between different GPS units.

However, it's frequently available for under $150 and sometimes even less here on ADV if you get lucky and find inmates selling one.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #23
Eagleavn
EagleAvn

Oddometer: 111
XM Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Yes, you need the GXM-30 puck which basically is the XM service all built in, but the GPS is able to extract it. The XM service is tied to the puck, not the GPS. if you have multiple GPS's that can accept the antenna, you can move it between different GPS units.

However, it's frequently available for under $150 and sometimes even less here on ADV if you get lucky and find inmates selling one.

Ok thanks. Any suggestions for a good GPS?

Thanks,
Eagleavn
2008 Honda CRF450X
Eagleavn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
jhedges
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
So are you able to view weather radar on the 2730? Even if it's only every 15 minutes? I know it can't do Nexrad, but can it do radar summary with Skywatch for example? Anybody got weather radar on a 2730? thanks
jhedges is offline   Reply With Quote