User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #166
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
2009 Factory T

Love it! Just bought it a few weeks ago.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #167
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin_ADV View Post
Love it! Just bought it a few weeks ago.

Very spicey, I see your wearing the Tuono grin
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #168
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,308
Those colors are awesome! Just like my old XT.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #169
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,250
I think I may have an '07 on the way. The flat black and grey. I see some listed as '07.5 but I'm not sure what the distinction is, perhaps someone could explain?

Also, what problem do I look out for? It has around 5k miles.

Thanks guys!
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #170
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
I think I may have an '07 on the way. The flat black and grey. I see some listed as '07.5 but I'm not sure what the distinction is, perhaps someone could explain?

Also, what problem do I look out for? It has around 5k miles.

Thanks guys!
Go over here for info and help http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/content.php Stator issues on some 07's that was corrected in 08.The 07.5 got a small HP increase.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #171
OConnor
Bad juju

Well I started reading the Tuono forums and realized they were seeing the same issues Ducati is with their fuel tanks only Aprilia is ignoring the problem. I'm no longer interested.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #172
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Well I started reading the Tuono forums and realized they were seeing the same issues Ducati is with their fuel tanks only Aprilia is ignoring the problem. I'm no longer interested.
Interesting, since my ~40,000 mile Tuono with plastic tank is doing just fine, and it runs E-10 more often than not. As is my 70k mile Sprint, also with plastic tank from Acerbis.

That said, Aprilia IS providing new tanks free of charge under warranty for those few that have had an issue with swelling...I'd hardly call that "ignoring the problem".

I just suspect that it's cheaper for them to eat the cost of a handful of new tanks on a case-by-case basis than it is to go back to the drawing board to guarantee they're immune to the effects of ethanol, an additive pretty much only used in one of their smaller sales markets, North America (and Brazil).

And THAT said, I imagine Acerbis is indeed seriously looking into the issue, as they are the OEM for the bulk of all plastic tanks.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #173
OConnor
Bad juju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Interesting, since my ~40,000 mile Tuono with plastic tank is doing just fine, and it runs E-10 more often than not. As is my 70k mile Sprint, also with plastic tank from Acerbis.

That said, Aprilia IS providing new tanks free of charge under warranty for those few that have had an issue with swelling...I'd hardly call that "ignoring the problem".

I just suspect that it's cheaper for them to eat the cost of a handful of new tanks on a case-by-case basis than it is to go back to the drawing board to guarantee they're immune to the effects of ethanol, an additive pretty much only used in one of their smaller sales markets, North America (and Brazil).

And THAT said, I imagine Acerbis is indeed seriously looking into the issue, as they are the OEM for the bulk of all plastic tanks.
So if I buy the '07 and it develops the issue I'm covered?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #174
roma258
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Bought 2007 Tuono R over the weekend, got it registered yesterday and finally had a chance to take her out for a ride. I think I'm in love.
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #175
cb400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 8
'03 Tuono

Just had my 43K mile tuono on the track at CMP a couple of weekends ago. I love the damn thing. Even though sometimes, Tuono means "bitch"

--jeff
cb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #176
roma258
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Two week update:

Just got back from a 600 mile weekend sorty in the Catskills and Northeast PA. Awesome bike, a few minor niggles but I'm having too much of a blast to care.

The good:
The bike came with a Power Commander, so I'm not sure that this holds true for the stock mapping, but the fuel injection is just buttery smooth. Ok, it doesn't like being under 2500 RPM, but what bike does?
The engine is just fantastic. Anywhere from 5k to 11k is basically its sweet spot, thing just rips, but in a smooth controlled manner.
Surprisingly comfortable- the seat is firm but feel great for longer days, the bar position is perfect for me (I'm 5'10"). The seat is a bit tall, but it doesn't really bother me.
Handling in on smooth, or even decent pavement is spot on. The bike won't cover up for your mistakes, but it drops into a turn with confidence and will hold its line with the best of 'em.
Looks- I've gotten more compliments in 2 weeks than I have in my prior 7 years of bike ownership. It's a stunning looking bike and even Harley guys dig it.

The bad-
Mostly minor, but fuel economy is non-existent. 25 mpg in the city, 30 outside. But I knew this coming in.
The digital display tends to fog up on occasion, especially when it's cool out. Pretty annoying, gotta assume there's a fix for it out there.
Bad pavement upsets the firm suspension at speed. Not a shocker, but I had to deal with a bit too much poor pavement over my trip, pretty annoying.
Rear brake doesn't work....at all. Not bad, but completely not functional. I knew about this coming in, but didn't think it would literally do nothing. Yikes.

That's about it. Awesome bike, can't wait to do many more rides on it, get the feeling I'll be keeping it for a long, long time. Pic for clicks:
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #177
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
Gentlemen...all the miles of smiles and cloud scraping wheelie comments are great to read about and it's wonderful to see folks enjoying the activity we all love so much, but my question is...how is the seating position/comfort for a 500 mile day in the twisties? How severe is the knee angle with the set back pegs? I'm 62 and have been riding for over 48 years, but my knees aren't happy being balled up in to tight a knot for long periods. TIA

Larry
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #178
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
I would not worry about it. You will need fuel long before your knees complain.

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #179
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 5,915
My left knee has been giving me grief lately. So I bought a set of Buell comfort footpegs and fitted them. needed a little work to make them fit. Lost a little ground clearance that only shows when I'm misbehaving. Need to make an adaptor for the brake pedal for it to be comfortable. As it is now I need to pick my foot up from the peg to apply it. But not really a problem.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #180
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmotogear View Post
I would not worry about it. You will need fuel long before your knees complain.

LOL...I had typed a remark about the short time between fuel stops, but deleted it as didn't want to sound to negative.

The lower pegs was something I've been looking at also...Wild Hair Accessories (www.whaccessories.com) has some nice pieces. With some of these installed, it should take care of the knee position concerns. I'm used to dragging pegs...

Might seem a waste of a fine piece of equipment, but the price of the hold-over V2's makes it very inviting for this old rider.
Maybe Santa will be good to me.

Thanks guys.

Trans4ormer screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 04:17 AM
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote