Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2004, 07:44 PM   #1
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
This is how to install a kick starter on a DRZ400S

Howdy All,

I recently installed the kick start kit on my DRZ400S, if your interested in how it's done, click on this link for complete photos and commentary. WARNING, the instructions that come with the kit DO NOT do a very good job of showing or explaining some of the finer points of this modification.

http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/gallery/136763

This is one of the best things I have done to my bike.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
This is one of the best things I have done to my bike.
Interesting sentiment. I have it on my list of things I'd like for my DRZ-S, but feel little urgency. Yet there is another fellow out here who feels it is an almost useless mod. Adds weight for something that he claims isn't effective for hot starts anyway, and which you will just about never have to use anyway. Use a battery tender, and when that fails, bump start. That is what the other guy said, more or less.

I can see both sides of it, maybe that's why I have not taken any action yet.

I have heard from people that there is a spacer that gets re-installed, and it is not clear from the instructions that you are supposed to reinstall it, and if you don't then a piece of your case gets busted off internally when you start the bike. But I don't know this from personal experience, just hearsay.

How often are you actually using this to start, and why?

-Vincent
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Wink It's called, "Insurance"

Howdy Viverrid,

I always use my battery tender plus, still when using my bike in some very rough terrain, after dropping it too many times, and in a situation where it is impossible to bump start because any direction from where I am at is, "UP" the hill, the kicker will get me back to the truck.

I have ridden the bike without the kicker for two years and have been damned lucky to have made it out of some of the places I ride. Hopefully, I will never have to use it, but I feel a lot better knowing it's there if it's needed.

If I was worried about a few pounds of extra weight on the bike I wouldn't have added the oversize gas tank, skid plate, hand guards, etc. I am not a Moto-Cross star, I just ride the thing for fun not to go as fast as I can, if I survive the day it's a good ride for me even if I am the last rider in the pack.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
Tracker

Oddometer: n/a
Howdy Cob,

I had the "Kick only" DRZ400 and never felt the need for electric start as it started well with the kick cold or hot, plus the 20lb weight savings was a bonus.

BTW how are you doing haven't seen you sence the eastern Wa ADV meet.\

Cheers,
Old 06-25-2004, 07:00 AM   #5
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Hey Mr Cob,

That is a really nice gallery you set up there. How you been man?

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 07:13 AM   #6
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,036
FWIW, my '00 DRZ400E was a leftover and the battery died on the second ride I took. Bump-starting that bike is a bitch. I had the kicker installed when I returned the bike for a warranty claim on the battery.

As Tracker mentioned, the bike is a one-kick starter hot or cold. I usually use the kicker in cold weather to lessen the load on the battery, or anytime I want to make fun of my Yamaha buddies. And it sure is nice to have the button as well.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:04 PM   #7
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
back up = good
many times a bump start is impossible.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:15 PM   #8
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,005
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such a wonderful set of instructions like those before! I wish every part/accessory /upgrade was illustrated like that!

Thanks for the details Mr. C - it's on my list of things to add to the S.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #9
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 751
Suzuki says the kick start kit does not fit an S. I'm glad to hear it does work.

I have a Re-Kluse clutch and can not bump start. A kicker for back-up would be great.

Thanks

Dualsport screwed with this post 03-24-2006 at 06:41 AM
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #10
SIKLR250
NYC

Oddometer: 507
Good for you! Real motorcycles have kick starters.

SIKLR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 AM   #11
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKLR250
Good for you! Real motorcycles have kick starters.
....from the guy on the klr250. I've never HAD to bump start my dr650 (or any of my electric start bikes over the past 10 years....but I've done it "for fun" plenty of times. I've never had a problem bump starting any bike
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #12
6Speed4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
650 kicker?

does anyone know of a kicker kit for a DR650? cause those KTMs look dead sexy(and reliable) with em.
6Speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #13
SIKLR250
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
....from the guy on the klr250. I've never HAD to bump start my dr650 (or any of my electric start bikes over the past 10 years....but I've done it "for fun" plenty of times. I've never had a problem bump starting any bike
It's not a matter of having a back up system for starting a bike. A motorcycle with an electric starter just seems so lame (unless one has a disability that makes it difficult to use a kick starter). What gets me are those Yamaha commercials that make it seem oh so difficult to kick start a motorcycle. Quite pathetic...

Old 03-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #14
SIKLR250
NYC

Just my opinion of course and we all know that opinions are like assholes - everyone has one.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #15
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,082
Tow Start

I know I wish I had a kick starter on my DRZ last year when I killed a marginal battery on a single track in a valley between two hills. Tow rope (elastic ATV version) worked well for bumping on muddy roads where it sometimes took a while to get adequate traction. The electrical is not too powerful on this thing so now I do some careful battery management like some of the rest of you.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote