User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
ColtTX92 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Don't buy a DR650!

I purchased a Suzuki motorcycle for my birthday- a 2014 DR650SE Dual Sport.
Well, at 4400 miles and 82 days of ownership, one of the engine bearings failed. This is in addition to the fact that Suzuki cross-threaded the drain plug for the spark arrestor from the factory.
I found out today that Suzuki is not going to replace my bike, in spite of multiple quality control issues on this machine. They also won't offer me a replacement engine. They will only rebuild the existing engine... on a bike that didn't make it to three months without a catastrophic engine failure.
To make matters even worse, Suzuki's warranty rep only wanted to replace the bearing that failed. He had no intention of replacing any of the other parts that the dealer's mechanics recommended until they pushed the issue. Currently, Suzuki's representative has gone on vacation until January 5th without approving my warranty service. The phone number he gave my dealer as an alternative contact goes straight to voice mail stating they won't return until January 5th.
Furthermore, when I called Suzuki's corporate office to complain about their rep's lack of punctuality, they refused to make any record of my issues with their personnel, and flat out told me I was not permitted to speak to anyone in their technical department and that if I was unhappy with the repairs being done they would make a note of it on the service record for my bike... but that they would not escalate the call to anyone competent I could discuss my concerns with.
Team Mancuso in La Marque has done what they can to take care of me. They let me look at the insides of my bike after they got it apart to inspect the damage, and I know they took care of business because of time-stamped emails. Suzuki's rep has failed to communicate with them, and Suzuki's corporate office flat out doesn't care.
I will never recommend a Suzuki product to anyone. The quality of components is poor, the quality of assembly is poor, the quality control is apparently nonexistent, and their customer service is infuriating and really just unprofessional and unacceptable. I will never own another Suzuki product as long as I live, and am seriously considering selling off this jalopy on principle.
I'm going to have a four month old bike (it would have been three, but you have to add the month it is taking to repair their failure) that has a rebuilt engine and a helicoiled exhaust bolt. As far as I am concerned I paid new price for a product that is worse than used, and have to deal with several useless people to even get that.
ColtTX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
But other than that, how do you like the bike?

When I walk through the house or the office I make motorcycle sounds with shifting and everything...
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
plenty of used boat anchors of factory pipes on the flea market, eBay, etc.....

nice first post BTW.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 11,974
Did Brad tell you to buy a DR650? What did you do with the Sportster?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
Dang! In the holiday spirit I see.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
AJay112
ADV Debate Team

Oddometer: 1,914
"Cross Threaded" muffler drain bolts are the industry norm.... KLR riders are authorities on this. As far as your failed main bearing, that sucks. Suzuki will fix it. I'm not a fan of the DR but do appreciate it's near bomb-proof record for reliability.

I know it's not what you expected but give the system a chance to fix your bike. A year from now you will be rejoicing in the fact that you have an, "oil jet" (or some such nonsense) and shaming myself and the other KLR owners here at ADVRider.

You have a great bike... just not today.

EDIT: And welcome to ADVRider.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
It does sound like there's an issue and I hope things get better than they sound right now. On the whole, the DR650 has a solid reputation for reliability, except for a few cases like yours. At least it didn't lock up and slam you on the pavement, in traffic, did it? Or leave you stranded, to walk long, thirsty miles to civilization?

Apart from the muffler cross-thread, what are the other quality issues?
How did it perform in the 81 days and 4399 miles before it blew?
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,811
They are fixing the problem (an extremely rare one at that) and your problem with that is? Expecting a whole new engine is naive & down-right noobish of you, for just a bad bearing. Grow up. NO one ever removes and cleans the spark arrestor because it has no effect. ..most toss the Buick muffler anyway.

You came to adv to bitch but you fail to realize the DR is an extremely popular and well received bike here for what it is. Most all LOVE their DRs.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
knucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I think I want one even more now.
knucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
lpfm1990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Don't buy a DR650!

Did you change the oil and use the correct oil??? 4400 miles to have a crank bearing let go is rare in a 4 stroke, now if this was my 800cc 2stroke snowmobile I could see that as the bearings only run around in a bearing with grease sealed inside it, I hate to point fingers. But I'm guessing operator error with oil or revvin the piss out of the motor with low oil. Or something
lpfm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 983
83 days ago, your first post probably should have been along the lines of "What bike should I buy?"

A common theme amongst the varied responses would have been 'whatever you get, buy used!'

Welcome aboard!
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
ninja97
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I have to admit in my time with the three DR,s I have owned I have never had a warranty issue with any of them.
A faulty bearing can happen with any engine and I guess you have to put it down to bad luck, my second DR had a problem with the gearbox input shaft bearing and it happened just out of warranty but it had done 100,000 Klm's at the time and that bearing is still in the engine 370,000 Klm's later.
A rebuilt engine with new bearings will no doubt be good for a long time but your problem with the guy from Suzuki is a bit tough.
My 93 KLX 650 that I bought new started leaking oil from between the crank cases after a short time because of lack of sealant and had to have the engine rebuilt just to seal the cases but I still own a Kawasaki.
Some times in life shit happens
ninja97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
arctic954
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
LOL..... merry F'n christmas!!!

arctic954 screwed with this post 12-23-2014 at 09:46 PM
arctic954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #14
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,452
Shitty factory rep for sure. But the bearing issue is isolated at best. Give the bike a chance. I have had great success with my 2003 DR.

Ray
When the system fails you, what then?? Do you fight it or just surrender and give up? If all seems doomed what is left to fight for? Is it just me or does the world seem to close in on you when you seem to be making ground? Options are dwindling down, what comes next? And in the words of Pink Floyd "Is there anybody out there". All I know is I WILL SURVIVE.
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #15
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,728
So... You bought a DR650 and regret it?

They all do that by the way.

A KDX is way cooler than what ever you ride...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote