Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #121
zakidos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Okay. I do recommend it.

All kidding aside, they are very good motorcycles.
Any common troubles with this 1999 WR? What to look for?
zakidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #122
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakidos View Post
Any common troubles with this 1999 WR? What to look for?
The transmissions can be weak, so look for issues there. 3rd/5th are the most common gears to feature problems. Also, the carbs have a loose fitting vacuum plate (all FCR's have them) and the early model carbs have a tendency to have those plates break apart and get sucked into the engine. If you can pull the carb and look at that plate VERY closely. If it has any cracks it is pending failure. The best fix for that is to replace the carb with one from a WR/YZ450.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #123
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Kawidad....you are scarin'me! HA!

My '99 has been bullet proof! I have around 16,000 miles on it and I horsewhip it on a regular basis. Most all it's miles are singletrack and the last five years have been primarily as a trail clearing machine so it gets loaded down with all sorts of implements from shovels, rakes, pulaskies, and most always has a chainsaw bungeed to a rack I made above the front fender. (It does tend to wipe out front wheel bearings after a year or two due to the added front wheel weight.)

I knew about 8-10 guys who owned them (most all have either sold them or updated to newer models............. not all blue in color either....traitors!)(( Most wanted push button starters too....wimps!))

Anyway I know of nobody who ever had even any minor problems with the '99's. I sometimes threaten to ditch mine for one with a button but have not done that yet.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #124
zakidos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
Kawidad....you are scarin'me! HA!

My '99 has been bullet proof! I have around 16,000 miles on it and I horsewhip it on a regular basis. Most all it's miles are singletrack and the last five years have been primarily as a trail clearing machine so it gets loaded down with all sorts of implements from shovels, rakes, pulaskies, and most always has a chainsaw bungeed to a rack I made above the front fender. (It does tend to wipe out front wheel bearings after a year or two due to the added front wheel weight.)

I knew about 8-10 guys who owned them (most all have either sold them or updated to newer models............. not all blue in color either....traitors!)(( Most wanted push button starters too....wimps!))

Anyway I know of nobody who ever had even any minor problems with the '99's. I sometimes threaten to ditch mine for one with a button but have not done that yet.
That sounds great!! Next week I'll definitely doing a test ride with it, seems like you're having a lot of fun with yours!
zakidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #125
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah it has probably been the best and most dependable dirt scoot I have ever had. And I been riding them for 43 years! OUCH!

I had to park it for about the last year and a half as I was erecting a new building for scooters and then had to have a knee replaced. THAT is the first time since '99 when I bought it that I even opened up the carb!

A couple guys I ride with own a Yamaha shop and they told me the motor is so bullet proof to not even think about adjusting the valves (after inital break in) till it has 15,000 miles, or if it starts to get hard to start. I just could not believe that as most of our miles are tight twisty singletrack and we tend to avaerage 15-25 miles an hour with LOTS of first and second gear riding. I am good at chaging out oils but still that is a lot of miles/abuse between valve adjustments.

I managed to go 14,000 and then HAD to see where they were. both exhaust's were out of tolerance by ONLY .001 and the intakes were fine! I was amazed!

Other than that, changing tires, oil, filters, chain (twice), wheel bearings (due to LOTS of water crossings mostly) and fixing things I break when I crash it has needed no other work.

My brother bought one of my buddies low mileage ones and it still is real low mileage......I am first in line for it when /if he ever goes to sell it!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #126
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, they are probably the best made of the bunch, so I'm not being critical. However, the problems I mentioned are the only ones that I know of and unfortunately they both happened to mine.

I bought the bike with a shredded third gear and knowing it. It was a project and knew it had a hard life. The carb was unexpected and I got real lucky it didn't take out my recently rebuilt motor. I'm now running a YZ450 carb.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #127
Jbreaux308
jack of all trades

Oddometer: 36
just finished

just got my street legal setup done today. got my WR426 from a guy on here. smooth running machine very fun (and its got the 450 auto decomp so one kick 99% of the time), but I am leaving Colorado soon and the road legal requirements are different in Louisiana so they would not recognize the plate, or i guess I am not willing to take the chance. went with a wiring kit from procycle which was a bit pricey but I thought it was worth it just to have everything in one box, plus the wiring harness helped alot (wiring sucks!) .

I also got the trail tech and the installation was pretty easy with that. only problem now that is all said and done 3 days later would be the lack of a wiring diagram and the lack of a battery on the bike. when the lights are on and the blinkers they are dim at idle. give it some rpm and your fine, but in the future I can imagine getting a better stator or getting a battery setup. not any time soon though that was enough playing with wires for at least a few weeks.

I got no good pics but i do have a couple videos I took if anybody knows how to upload I will put them on so yall can see
Jbreaux308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #128
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,517
pics? how much you want for it?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #129
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,773
Upload your vid to YouTube, then click "share", then click "embed". Copy the text from the box and paste it into a post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbreaux308 View Post
just got my street legal setup done today. got my WR426 from a guy on here. smooth running machine very fun (and its got the 450 auto decomp so one kick 99% of the time), but I am leaving Colorado soon and the road legal requirements are different in Louisiana so they would not recognize the plate, or i guess I am not willing to take the chance. went with a wiring kit from procycle which was a bit pricey but I thought it was worth it just to have everything in one box, plus the wiring harness helped alot (wiring sucks!) .

I also got the trail tech and the installation was pretty easy with that. only problem now that is all said and done 3 days later would be the lack of a wiring diagram and the lack of a battery on the bike. when the lights are on and the blinkers they are dim at idle. give it some rpm and your fine, but in the future I can imagine getting a better stator or getting a battery setup. not any time soon though that was enough playing with wires for at least a few weeks.

I got no good pics but i do have a couple videos I took if anybody knows how to upload I will put them on so yall can see
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #130
Jbreaux308
jack of all trades

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
pics? how much you want for it?
uh, sorry I just got it, actually from pablo here. and after a few good weekends of riding this thing hard in the mountains I am not ready to part with it just yet. any way here is the link to the video i took after i was done. now when i go back to Louisiana all it needs are some DOT tires and i can plate it, hopefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pj-pbozcGU

let me know if that don't work.
Jbreaux308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #131
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,292
Hey Guys,
Thanks for posting info on your mods and recomendations.
Just picked up a beater 2000 WR400 tonight to go out and play on, and am looking forward to tearing around on it after I check out a few things with it.

Here's hoping I don't run into trouble getting it plated....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #132
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

I was lucky in that I plated mine right after I picked it up.

NOW my state (NM) will not allow that to be done. "They" tell us if the bike did not come plated it is not legal to do so....what a bunch of crap!

As long as you have the required equipment, even if it is installesd by aftermarket means, it should not matter.

Fortunately some of the newer scooters are coming with plates, just not the ones I want to see ......yet.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #133
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
I was lucky in that I plated mine right after I picked it up.

NOW my state (NM) will not allow that to be done. "They" tell us if the bike did not come plated it is not legal to do so....what a bunch of crap!

As long as you have the required equipment, even if it is installesd by aftermarket means, it should not matter.

Fortunately some of the newer scooters are coming with plates, just not the ones I want to see ......yet.

It's not really the fault of your state, it is the fault of the federal government who leaned on the states to do it.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #134
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,292
I'm gonna pull the plastic off and give it a good bath...take some stock of the seetchiassion.....its leaking some oil up near the head, runs rough with poor throttlr response and overall looks like its been ridden, but taken care of. Thats with the plastic ON though.....we shall see....
I'll make sure it is nothing too serious, then I'll get some upgrades for it....suspension, rebuild the carb, check the valves and stuff....re-gear it lower for trail riding....fresh tires....brake pads maybe? Hahaha....I'll have more into freshening it up than I paid for it!!!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #135
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Kawodad:

Yeah I know, still ticks me off though, damn feds! But I guess that is what they do best. Piss folks off......oh yeah.....and steal their money!

KMC1:

But once you do it, it will be well worth it!