Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
fetchfire OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Do you think this trike hack would ruin your swing arm?

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVsXFf6hSKs

The places I go hunting are too steep and muddy for dualsport. But if I get a quad I need a trailer and a car that can tow a trailer.

Then I saw that video and had thoughts of riding to the end of the tar, meeting my mate in his car and swapping out the rear wheel for this rear dual wheel thing.

Is there merit in this idea?
fetchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,779
Depends on whether its reasonable to swap a rear end assembly that destroys 2.5 hours of daylight, and a further 2.5 hours just so you can go back home.

There is a reason behind quads now holding the market that commenced with Honda's ATC90. Just about the same reason Bond & Reliant minicars are no longer sold in the UK.

https://youtu.be/QQh56geU0X8

Reliant Robin - Top Gear - BBC
Old 06-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
Threewheelbonnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
OT. Reliants were a driving licence anomaly. Guys who'd done the bike test could drive one. Now the bike test is multipart and the car test isn't they are pretty much done. It takes real Clarkson level stupidity to roll one. Off road they are pretty hopeless though, three track vehicles don't match two track tracks.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:12 AM   #4
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 932
Trike configuration aside, I really enjoyed the video and the talent on display build it from scratch.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie
OT. Reliants were a driving licence anomaly. Guys who'd done the bike test could drive one. Now the bike test is multipart and the car test isn't they are pretty much done. It takes real Clarkson level stupidity to roll one. Off road they are pretty hopeless though, three track vehicles don't match two track tracks.

Andy

I remember riding pillion with my Dad to a Reliant dealer at Sellindge on the A20 between Ashford and Folkestone in the early eighties. Ten minutes of instruction in the car park of the dealers and a bit of paperwork and we were off.

I´ve been up Hardknott pass four up in a Delboy Reliant. It made it up OK but we would have been royally stuffed if we had to stop. The one downside was driving in snow where you had two distinct tyre marks made by four wheeled transport and then the poor Reliant front wheel bouncing on snow in the middle.

I don´t ever remember the ride being dangerous. I´m sure it isn´t difficult to roll one if you try but if you drive them with a bit of sense they are perfectly safe.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,779
I have to say that one operates a threewheeler (one at the front) lacking a COG close to the two wheel end within its expected limitations. I did own a Piaggio Ape at the age of seventeen before I was licenced to operate a four wheeler.

The major difference between operating a symmetrical threewheeler on sealed road surfaces, and operating one in rough terrain is how compromised that COG is likely to be during an off-camber assent or decent?

In training for the more common configuration of forklift trucks one is taught to pay heed to the Stability Pyramid model. The steering axle here pivots as in a normal tractor and this means to all intensive purposes that the FLT is going to behave similar to a trike.

Competent FLT operators avoid traveling with a load raised past axle level, and avoid, where they can, situations requiring load handling with terrain sloping to the left or right.

As I posted earlier; "There is a reason behind quads now holding the market that commenced with Honda's ATC90."
Old 06-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 932
That dude has a lot of time on his hands. I mean he built and painted that thing AND plowed snow in a matter of like 4 min.

Looks pretty cool. Now I wanna get my XT back and try to do that.