User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
avc8130 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Having bad thoughts: Ural shopping.

I have always wanted a sidecar...and more specifically a Ural. I don't know why, I just do. I am at a point where I can get something (both can afford AND have the wife's encouragement).

So I have started my search. Armed with Craigslist and Ebay I am finding all kinds of ridiculousness. I have come up with a few questions:

1. What the heck am I looking for? I see machines from the early 90's to the mid 2k's. Anywhere I can find a comprehensive list of what is what? I have found 650s, 750s, 1WD, 2WD...
2. Titles. This is interesting. I have found at least 2 machines that have "Russian" titles. Is there anything I can do with this legally on the road in the US?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Hogan's Hero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
If you try and understand "why" you want one, it will drive you crazy.

From what I understand, the new [er] Ural's are much improved in many ways. Ride quality, reliability, electrical...so if you can, I think you should shop for new. They also will offer some waranty. No issues with titles either.

The 1 WD v. 2 WD debate ends up being a matter of personal preference...probably. There are people who swear by each.

I think it is also important to find a dealer who can get you started in the right direction. There is much information here on that as well. Search around a bit and you might find what you need.

No matter what you end up with, you are in for the time of your life. Have fun shopping.
Hogan's Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,345
I have heard that you should buy as new as you can afford. but I'm no expert. If you are planning on doing serious off road or winter riding, look at 2wd, if not 1wd will do you fine. My 06 Gear up has been fairly trouble free, and an absolute ball. Find something, and post up questions before you pull the trigger, I'm sure the collective will point you in the right direction.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,176
I looked at Urals for awhile

I had the bug too, and in fact was at the bank closing the deal on a 2011 Ural T a couple months ago. I was trying to buy from an out of state dealer and to make a long story short, in the end the bank wouldn't accept the bill of sale. I think they didn't even have Urals in their database and no supervisor would sign off on the out of state paperwork. So, I started the process of hacking my BMW, which is another story.......

Anyway, my research brought me to the following conclusions:

For the uses I wanted it for, a 650 rig would be too underpowered. Also, the reliability issue with 90's and early 2000s Urals, before the company was reorganized or changed hands, whatever, was a big concern. Some parts can be an issue too, I read. I have managed to keep a few airhead beemers running, so maintenance isn't scary, but I'm no mechanic.

I didn't want anything prior to a 2005 Ural. 2007 is even better. Here you can find a list of upgrades to the Urals,chronologically: http://www.uralnw.com/ural/yearlychanges.html

For my riding 1WD was going to be sufficient, hence my decision on the T. The newer 750s don't have a differential, so you would only use 2WD in conditions where you were stuck, like in deep snow or off-road mud, and then, only to get unstuck. Without the slip, the rig is difficult to steer with car and tug wheels driving. I corresponded with a few Ural owners of gear-ups, and they told me they had only actually employed the 2WD once or twice in normal on-road driving, even in snow. I don't plan on off-road driving, so I don't need the 2WD.

Thirdly, don't mess with anything that doesn't have a clear title from the state you're in. Don't buy a kit bike, and don't buy from Yuri in Ohio........

Good luck! I'm jealous.
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
avc8130 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I would like to buy new...but I just can't justify it. I haven't found a used Ural OVER $6k advertised so I just can't justify taking an $8k depreciation hit instantly.

Everything I read says there have been significant changes...I just can't seem to figure out WHEN they occured.
ac
Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
I would like to buy new...but I just can't justify it. I haven't found a used Ural OVER $6k advertised so I just can't justify taking an $8k depreciation hit instantly.

Everything I read says there have been significant changes...I just can't seem to figure out WHEN they occured.
ac
Follow the link on MotoJs post above. That is the best description of what and when. 2006 or newer is what you want.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
AeroEngineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post

ac
If you're going used, check the flea market section of this site first. There is a lot of crap on ebay/craigslist.
2006 DR650 (???)
AeroEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Also try..

... Soviet Steeds and Russian Iron. Soviet Steeds is almost exclusively Ural and Russion Iron is Ural and Dneprs. Also some Jawas, MZ, etc.

There are some bargains listed there that don't seem to make it to the ADV site. Those guys are truly geeks!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
I owned an 06 & had fun putting about 6,700 miles (not Ks) on it. The gear up was tough as a 60 yr collectable should be.

I can go into a lot of fun & saddness bout the Ural but it has all been said before.

Now I look for a side car for my BMW RGS-09. Have thought about buying a new Ural but I believe they have finally reached a new point of silliness in cost.

I will put that good US$ into a custom made side car for my current bike. Oh sure it will not have reverse nor 2wd. How ever do most hackers live w/o that...not really a question.

Ural are just not sound & never will be as long as they are built under the current conditions. Improvements have been made only because the US market was the only thing keeping the factory doors open.

I think you may be reading the handwriting on the wall, "Having bad thoughts: Ural shopping."
You are very justified in your concerns.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
BinDerSmokDat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I had concerns about Ural reliability and bought new. Knowing what I know now, I'd have saved some money and bought 2006 or newer with low miles.

Get the best 2006 or newer Ural you can get for the lowest price you can get. Don't worry about 2wd unless you want to do some serious off-road and I mean serious. I ride the NJ Pines and mine is rarely in 2WD, barring foot deep sugar sand and snow. Momentum and teh stability of teh 3rd wheel will take you over most obstacles on a 1WD equipped with a good knobby.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
planzman
commie bike rider

Oddometer: 663
I bought used

Hey, go used with very low miles as new as you can afford.

like the one in Texas its a 2010 at a reeeeealy good price with less than 2k miles on it.
don't know if its still for sale.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=ural

Where are you from.
planzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
If you want an everyday year round rider go new if you can afford it. I went through the same 'what to do' head games. I wanted new but I don't do payments so I looked for used. The guy that gave me my first ride on a Ural and got me hooked also told me if you go used go 2008 or later. I don't listen well(just ask my ex wife) and bought a 2006 Patrol last year. For a daily rider you want the front disc brake and the later Denso alternator. I enjoy wrenching but not so much on the side of the road. In my short ownership I've come to the opinion that the metallurgy and quality control has improved as time goes by. As have the electrics. I'm slowly gaining on my plan to just ride and not drive. So I've gotten rid of all but one car and one pickup(I had a bunch). Gonna always keep a pickup cause I don't live in a city and there's stuff even a Ural won't haul.On the other hand I have some bent genes and will own an early flathead someday as a toy fun bike be it a Ural, Dnepr or CJ but not as a daily rider. In summation for a daily year rounder go 06 or later, for something to mess with any year will meet your needs.
Thas my two cents or $0.0002 in King Obama dollars.
No matter what you'll have a great time.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 468
1. How much Money do you have? How much mechanical curiosity do you have? That is going to provide you an idea of what to buy. If you do not have a hearty appetite for mechanical and electrical hijinks, do not buy a Ural made before 2005-6 or whatever. Even then, you'd better be ready to work on the bike. Really ready.

2. There are no bargains in the world. Get used to that; sidecar rigs and anything else with a motor has a pretty efficient market. I think the bare minimum you'll pay is $5k. If you really want more than 30 reliable horsepower, you better double that. It is what it is.

3. If a vehicle does not have a title, that means the owner couldn't get a title, which means neither will you. There are exceptions, but the DMV will not just simply title a grey market Dnepr in most states. The reason why there is no title is because they were shipped here in pieces and assembled from pieces parts. Now I'm not down on Dneprs, but you had better be one high powered wrench.

4. My first rig was a BMW R75/6 with a velorex chair. The chair was hideous, but it all worked good and it was a BMW. My sidecar rig was 4th on the depth chart and my daughter wouldn't ride in it. Still, no way I would have taken this rig up on the slab, it wasn't stable enough at 70 MPH and it had no leading link. I sold it for, you guessed it, 5K! Anf the guy who got it got a wonderful deal and knew it. Nice bike, but certainly not equipped for high speed operation.

I actually like the Ural handling more than the BMW, it is equipped with a leading link and it os prepared stock for sidecar duty.

5. I have a 1998 ural 650 now, I bought it for 2400 bucks (shipped) and spent 700 bucks and lot's of late nights in the garage sorting it out. I love the bike totally and completely, but I am realistic: I do not intend to ever operate it at speeds above 50 MPH, I'm going to be gentle and take care of it and ride my daughter in it, the throng of small kids that love it and enjoy the Ural for what it is, a giant toy that can hurt you if you're not careful.

So it was cheap in dollars, but i knew I was going to have my hands full in repair time... and I am no mechanic but I have 20+ years of experience on sorting out airheads. If you're going to buy ANY sidecar rig for less than $7500, you better be ready to work on it and I mean challenging head-scratching work. But it is worth it.

6. There is a dark, perverse side of me that want's to sell my R1200 GS and get a totally storm-troopered up 2WD Ural; roll around in the dead of winter with my heated clothes on and a big dark grey greatcoat... shock the squares. But if you want to go hard you'd better get out 14k.... because that's what a superbad rig is going to cost!

7. So, let's get back to it. How much money do you have and how much mechanical curiosity do you have?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
avc8130 OP
Beastly Adventurer

7. So, let's get back to it. How much money do you have and how much mechanical curiosity do you have?

From what I am reading...I am not sure if one can cover the other. I probably have more mechanical curiosity than cash for a side car rig. At this point I am kinda just looking for something to tool around on locally. Get my feet wet, if you will. I am not sure I will LIKE a sidecar. I've never ridden one. Heck, I don't think I've done much more than sit on one at the bike show. If my fantasy love affair turns into an outright affliction like some seem to, I would be more willing to throw serious money at it. I am kinda looking at this purchase as a stepping stone. I want to get something that handles "right", so I can get a feel for it. I also want an "out". If I don't like it and want it gone, or I LOVE it and want it better, I want to be invested only a tad...ready to firesale.

Does that make any sense?
ac
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

In that case...

.... keep your eyes out for a hack like Mr. E mentioned- a /6 or /7 Beemer with some light chair. I've seen them as low as 4K. You're more apt to get your money back out of it. Check out BMWMOA, US Sidecar Association, and IRBMW classified.