Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #136
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,278
Corrections in order...

Called Canadas UPS 800 number....

Here's the scoop. The part is NOT being send to New Brunswick...even though tracking says so?? The part is in transit; was shipped off last Monday and should be here this Friday(7/10). It takes according to Canada UPS 4 transit days to ship/fly/rocket/crawl/or pony express things to Whitehorse.
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #137
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Aaarrrggghhhh!

Alaska hasn't changed much then, probably will be delivered by dog team.....sorry to hear about the PIA on it.
You could always pan for gold with yer cereal bowls.......you know what they say about river water, at least what W>C>Fields said...
"Water, Yessss, Wouldn't drink it myself, fish f**k in it!!"
(sorry, lost my head folks.....)
Oh, BTW, the mister looks years younger with his "Kodiac Cut" trimming.....practically a new man!!!!
Koifarm....
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #138
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Pissed Fifty-four Forty Or Fight Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by koifarm
Alaska hasn't changed much then, probably will be delivered by dog team..
....Yukon!

(I know there are secret takeover plans by Sarah Palin....but no "Bay Of Moose" yet)

.....Uho, Hi Jack! (again!)

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #139
dvonasek
Old Rider

Oddometer: 4
Alaskan Adventurers

While I have a plain GS, I've watched with great interest as you & Mikepa have gotten the hacks built. Now it's even better getting to share your adventure and pictures. Hmm, does one need a special license for a vicarious ride? Have thought about hacking my GS but there would be a big fight over does the wife or dog (large German Shephard) get the sidecar? Sorry for your mechanical troubles. Always frustrating. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I look forward to each new set of pics & hope to make it to Alaska someday. . . if the wife & dog ever settle their arguement.
dvonasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #140
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Still Here in Whitehorse...

Hi all...

Jay at Dauntless is making a valiant effort for UPS to find the shipment and send it here. So far no go! He has even called the UPS brass!

UPS tracking says it went from Seattle....Calgary....Ontario...Fredrickton, NB....Ontario, Calif...; Sioux Falls....Kentucky.....etc. Dunno what is happeneing.

If no part by tomorrow we'll move to a campground and Tenting it till Monday. If no part by Monday, we're seriously thinking of parting the Tub from the hip of the Tug. Shipping the Tub at great expense to the US and ride home solo.

Warning: Do not use USA UPS or even UPS CANADA to cross borders.

Cheers
Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #141
Johnny Wolvo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Hi all...

Jay at Dauntless is making a valiant effort for UPS to find the shipment and send it here. So far no go! He has even called the UPS brass!

UPS tracking says it went from Seattle....Calgary....Ontario...Fredrickton, NB....Ontario, Calif...; Sioux Falls....Kentucky.....etc. Dunno what is happeneing.

If no part by tomorrow we'll move to a campground and Tenting it till Monday. If no part by Monday, we're seriously thinking of parting the Tub from the hip of the Tug. Shipping the Tub at great expense to the US and ride home solo.

Warning: Do not use USA UPS or even UPS CANADA to cross borders.

Cheers

If no part by tomorrow we'll move to a campground and Tenting it till Monday. If no part by Monday, we're seriously thinking of parting the Tub from the hip of the Tug. Shipping the Tub at great expense to the US and ride home solo!!!!!!

Please don't give up now, you are doing great, and your adventure story and photographs are just brilliant.
I'm a very old 73 year old sidecar guy that lives in the city (Nr Birmingham) here in the West Midlands UK and would never be able to make such a journey.
Your story is a real tonic for me every day.
Keep going.

Best regards.........John Wolverson UK

Johnny Wolvo screwed with this post 07-10-2009 at 05:09 AM
Johnny Wolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #142
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Hang in there guys!!

I know it's frustrating and a giant pain in the butt but hang on....
Seems like parting the tub and shipping would be just as or even more than a few more days lodging and food where you are. Then you're just spinning your wheels for nothing.
Keep on with the tracking and waiting that part will have to show up sooner or later....but wait for it.....then forget about all the hassle and enjoy the rest of the trip....
You've never said what the part is, can you let us know?....is there any other opportunity to obtain something similar nearby or perhaps a local machine shop?....It's hard for us to figure what's going on cuz we aren't right there and don't know all the details.....
Just asuming that it's something with the tub axle, hub or bearings but it would seem like, especially up there, that there would be a local machinist who could duplicate the part....just a guess....
In any event, hold on and wait, had you decided to pull the tub off no doubt about the time it was on the ground, the ups truck would show up!!!
We're all pulling for you, as anxious as you are, we are as well....
koifarm....
Keep venting by email, at least we can listen with sympathetic ears...and don't quit eating.....haven't seen a good meal up there for days!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #143
fasteer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
hmmm, it's odd - UPS is usually really quick & dependable USA to Canada.
Our usual complaint is the 'brokerage fees' that they rape us with...
Old 07-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #144
grafikfeat
-Out There-

Oddometer: 350
Sorry I missed you folks in WA... Would have loved to ride to the border with you...

Sorry to hear about UPS. IMHO they suck... Unfortunately they are also good. When they screw up it's usually for things needed, not wanted as in your case.

Chin up... You could be like most of us here... AT WORK! Arrrgh!

Keep the posts/adventure coming... It's a great read!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #145
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Smart After The Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteer
hmmm, it's odd - UPS is usually really quick & dependable USA to Canada.
Our usual complaint is the 'brokerage fees' that they rape us with...

....Absolutely Spot-On, Frank $$$......(although I have had US delay issues in the dim-and-distant past)

Mind You, we both know "the North is dfferent" I'm a FedEx man now (easy to say AFTER the event!)
(also, beware: Purolator US, and Purolator CDN are not the same company, and similar issues arise)

Note to "Deaf On Wheels" :
.......If at all possible, please persevere with the Outfit.
It's easy for the rest of us...watching in comfort, but would seem, by the report so far, that you are
having the experience of a lifetime. (you must know Whitehorse VERY well, by now!) Going solo would
definitely diminish the experience, IMHO,...Not to mention the expense.

(what if the tub were to go UPS to North Carolina! ??)

.........Shudder!

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #146
Mangoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi S&E, So sorry to read that your parts have disappeared. We know how frustrated you must be. Hopefully, UPS will track them down soon. We're sending you hugs and encouragement....hang in there. They'll show up. At least you're stuck there together! Just think of what a great story this will be. (Oh no, you're not going to tell us about being stuck in Canada, again, are you???? he he) Here's hoping you're back on the road (intact) in no time. Talk to you soon, The Mangoes.
Mangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #147
dvonasek
Old Rider

Oddometer: 4
Sorry to hear of your continued frustration. Anything we in the lower 48 can do to help? Fed EX new parts? Have you tried the BMWMOA anonymous book to see if anyone close can assist. . machining, welding etc? I just looked & there is a listing for Whitehorse. Call the fellow rider @ 867 668-3340 for help. Good luck with it. Please don't give up! Those of us stuck in the office are very much enjoying your posts. Look at your responses; you have a world-wide audience. Take a deep breath and have another beer!
dvonasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #148
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,489

Wow! Andy bought that bike from me!

When I was in Whitehorse w/ that bike, it developed a leaky O-ring that seals the fuel pump access panel. There was a parts supply place around the corner from the Honda dealer that had all kinds of small parts. They had a wall of O-rings. Let's see...I have a picture of the place somewhere...

Maybe they have bearings that will work.

edit:I'll bet you probably went to Ajax w/ the trailer guy. I sorry you're stuck.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick

AceRph screwed with this post 07-10-2009 at 09:53 PM Reason: too excited from seeing my old GS1150. What a great bike!
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #149
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

For your WEEKLY entertainement...WHITEHORSE, YT

Hello all...many thanks for your continued encouragements....

Yet again another delay on part of UPS...got word it will be here MONDAY..Montag....Lundi..????

We're thinking of becoming Tourist guides as we know so much about Whitehorse and it's environs..

Log Cabin overseeing the mighty Yukon River

An old barricaded hanging bridge spanning the Yukon River

Local Deco art;..."the Raven House"

An enchanted evening meal...

Yummy...

Fish heads, tail n'all...great source of Omega-3

soon running out of pictures to take within walking distance...
Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #150
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Finally Food!!!!!

Glad to hear some good news, at least we think so....
First, lets discuss the food....sushi is one of my all time favorites to start with and those little tiny fish looked kind of like the old Wisconsin treat, smelt, and looked really good....I can make an entire pig of myself out of sushi, or more preferably sashimi (without the rice) Some of my favorites are Tuna, Eel, white mackerel, salmon, both smoked and raw, abalone, white tuna, roe, and a few others....thanks so much for the pictoral....
I've been worried about yawl, infrequent posts, but no sweat, I know you're okay, just pissed about the parts.
The scenery is gorgeous, I'd love to hang in that cabin on the Yukon for a time, with a nice fly rod, a shotgun and some basic supplies I could last forever....(think, Into the Wild (sensible version))
It's gotta be wonderful being in that country where so much prospecting and new settlement is going on...If you can, Sharon, read a book by John McPhee called "Coming Into the Country" it's about a few of the rugged individuals who came to AK and developed it in their way....you will enjoy that one....
Well kids, as usual, keep us posted,
Sendin all the positive vibes your way....
koi