Oddometer: 214
Did they show up? The suspense is killing me
Wngnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #167
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Hey folks!

Laughed my butt off on that food post....you have now reached the rock bottom of culinary adventuring.....but that's good...from there, it's all good on the way up, you know what they say about reaching rock bottom....
But the pictures are wonderful, it's nice(although in your case frustrating) to stay a bit in one place and see it in depth.... Not that you're particularly enjoying the frustration but you are at least getting an intimate in-depth look at Alaska.
The scenery is stunning as usual, your pictures are top notch and we are delighted to see them. You are stretching out your photographic techniques and subject matter much to our enjoyment
Hopefully y'all will be on your way in a matter of hours now, and once again the intrepid "on the road" couple....
Thanks so much for keeping us up to date....we anxiously await your next post.....with great news hopefully!!!
PS.
I was looking through your posts and started at the first page and had a nice sentimental journey of your expedition, all in all a wonderful thread and an epic story/journey.
koi
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #168
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
UPS (Uncertain Postal Screw-Up).

As of this hour...NO PACKAGE...no one knows whether UPS package will deliver? Dauntless is speechless....UPS Canada has no answer.

We called every imaginable transports, delivery, U-Haul, even moving companies...and all that matter. Nuthin'...from Whitehorse YT. Bryce trans does deliver but we must seek a carpenter to fabricate a pallet.

At this moment, we're thinking of riding the whole rig and smoke it to Skagway, AK, which is about 120 miles form here, then take the Ferries all the way to Bellingham, WA, ...if but if we can get space on the Ferries as most are booked during this high season. Once in Bellingham, WA, ride to BMW and change to the original fork bridge back and ride to Dauntless and drop off the sidecar, then ride the bike home. Ask me later and we may have a different plan.
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #169
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,681
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
As of this hour...NO PACKAGE...no one knows whether UPS package will deliver? Dauntless is speechless....UPS Canada has no answer.

We called every imaginable transports, delivery, U-Haul, even moving companies...and all that matter. Nuthin'...from Whitehorse YT. Bryce trans does deliver but we must seek a carpenter to fabricate a pallet.

At this moment, we're thinking of riding the whole rig and smoke it to Skagway, AK, which is about 120 miles form here, then take the Ferries all the way to Bellingham, WA, ...if but if we can get space on the Ferries as most are booked during this high season. Once in Bellingham, WA, ride to BMW and change to the original fork bridge back and ride to Dauntless and drop off the sidecar, then ride the bike home. Ask me later and we may have a different plan.
Not sure I understand - you're going to palletize the rig and ship it home?
How big is this package you're waiting on - are we talking spindle/bearings or?? Maybe somebody down here can help (I'm in Tacoma, and if I can do anything to assist your trip lemme' know).
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #170
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Oh Crap...

Put your bike somewhere safe---both of you fly to dauntless, stay a few days there until you get your stuff and then fly back. Time to get moving now!!!

Can dauntless fab another set for you? Just thinking out loud here...

Edit: If you don't have it by now---doubt it will ever get there now at this point...

Probably some Chinook Eskimo up north is using your bearings to cart their kayak to the water.

Getting pissed now---haven't seen a buffalo steak with a cold beer for awhile now. Eating frozen food out of a box is just tooooo much for me to handle!!

Tom

hondachopper screwed with this post 07-13-2009 at 04:41 PM
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #171
Wngnut
Machinist Extraordinaire

If I had the dimensions I'd whip out a new one for you. Are there no machine shops in Whitehorse? Any machinist should be able to make up an axle. No problem.

If the bearing races are spinning. There is a product called bearing seat. It is made by locktite. That should fix thins if that is your problem? A well equipped hardware store might have some. maybe an automotive store.

You could also peen the shaft with a center punch where the bearings ride. make a whole bunch of punch marks all over the shaft. this will swell the shaft slightly and should hold the bearing in place.

Please let me know if I can help. I can Pm you my phone number if you want to talk it over?

Wesley
Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #172
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I'll be damned that there was no delivery today!

I would be pulling hairs by no or some short time ago!!

Maybe Dauntless could handle this matter personally by sending someone over with the goods, since the product came from them. It is certainly not doing them good publicity-wise!!

In meantime your pictures are awesome! Such "professional" amateur photography!

Thinking of riding back with the bike alone, sans the tub? Guess you will have to replace the front end mod before you do this?

i am free after August 12, maybe we can ride to NE states for a coupla weeks?

Please know that we are as irritated as you!

Keeping fingers crossed!
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #173
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Yet another NO package...

Hi all...

Yet another day goes by and no part although UPS Canada and USA said it'll be here "tomorrow." According to Dauntless which is as helpless as we are...UPS now claims that they cannot find it....aaarrggghhhh

Previous local machinists suggested that I get the part from the USA and give UPS a chance to deliver. However, today I found another local machine shop to see if they at least could do some welding and build a new spindle. Have an 0800 hrs appointment in the morning with the machinist to see whether it can be done.

Stay tuned for next episode...
Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #174
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Canada, Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koifarm
.... Not that you're particularly enjoying the frustration but you are at least getting an intimate in-depth look at Alaska.
koi
..............................Bill, How Many More Times ?!?!

..............................YUKON!

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #175
Wngnut
Machinist Extraordinaire

If there is anything I can do at all, Please let me know. My services are yours.

Wes
Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #176
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Thanks for your support....

We really appreciate many of your support and offers to assist in any way. Thank you, you guys got heart...Our goal now is to find a way to get home.

At this point...we are looking to have a local machinist/welder fabricate the axle and he will take a look tomorrow to confirm if he can do it. If so, then the plan is to lighten up the bike/sidecar by sending home (via Federal Express) 55+ lbs. of stuff we can do without and ride 180km to Skagway, AK and hop on ferries heading for Bellingham, WA. The ship sails once weekly to Bellingham which also means we again have to lodge in Skagway, AK for a few days until Monday before casting off.

Once in Bellingham, we will head straight for NC, provided that the rig holds up. If not, we will install the proper fork bridge at Southsound BMW, ride sole home and transport the sidecar through the good ole USA and home.

Unfortunately, we cannot continue on our trip around and about Alaska. There'll always be another time.....and another adventure for you to look forward to....it's become a tonic hasn't it??
Old 07-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #177
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by koifarm
But the pictures are wonderful, it's nice(although in your case frustrating) to stay a bit in one place and see it in depth.... Not that you're particularly enjoying the frustration but you are at least getting an intimate in-depth look at Alaska.
koi
Hey Koi...unlike Sarah Pallin who sez she could see Russia from her window from Alaska....we cannot even see Alaska from our motel room window in Whitehorse, YUKON, Canada. FYI...Whitehorse is located at Historic Mile 918 of the Alaska Highway. Thanks for the good laugh...we needed it! -Sharon
Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #178
Mastercylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
We really appreciate many of your support and offers to assist in any way. Thank you, you guys got heart...Our goal now is to find a way to get home.

At this point...we are looking to have a local machinist/welder fabricate the axle and he will take a look tomorrow to confirm if he can do it. If so, then the plan is to lighten up the bike/sidecar by sending home (via Federal Express) 55+ lbs. of stuff we can do without and ride 180km to Skagway, AK and hop on ferries heading for Bellingham, WA. The ship sails once weekly to Bellingham which also means we again have to lodge in Skagway, AK for a few days until Monday before casting off.

Once in Bellingham, we will head straight for NC, provided that the rig holds up. If not, we will install the proper fork bridge at Southsound BMW, ride sole home and transport the sidecar through the good ole USA and home.

Unfortunately, we cannot continue on our trip around and about Alaska. There'll always be another time.....and another adventure for you to look forward to....it's become a tonic hasn't it??
Really sorry to hear the problems you two are having with getting your part. We feel your pain and wish you all the best on getting home. It must be a real disappointment to go so far and yet not obtaining your goal. On the upside, as you said there will be another time for the next trip. Both of you take care.

From the two Urals riders you passed in BC.
Mastercylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #179
brosanc
WormGuy

Oddometer: 48
We made it home last night

Hey Elmer & Sharon,
We made it back safely last night after only 12154 miles ! Sorry not to be following your blog and sorry to hear you are having problems. Hope you get it straightened out soon ! We had a great trip and will post more when we get our poop together. We ran iinto several folks on the trail that have ran into you along the way. Craig from Australia in Jasper, AB and Fast Eddie in Duluth, MN while shopping at Aerostitch. Great people everywhere. We had computer problems throughout the trip, got home to a fried internet modem too. I have to go to work just to be able to do any emailing at this time. Should be up and running in a day or so. Maybe then I can read your blog and maybe then I can start mine !
We look forward to hearing more about the trip. Lets get together when you get home !!

Ellie send hugs
Brian
PS - 3 sets of tires, 1 gas leak, 1 wheel bearing on the sidecar and a fork tube seal
brosanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #180
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Bummed out but optomistic!!

Man o Man, I'm really sorry to hear you're headed home.....I can understand though, the time spent screwing around waiting for parts is endemic to journeys such as yours, it's just unfortunate it had to happen to you two guys.....we all, including you, had great expectations and were pulling for your dreams to come true as well as ours coming true vicariously.
I guess it's going to be one of those "under your belt" kinda things and you'll survive to go another day and time....
Don't give up the photographs though....not to mention the food
I wouldn't want to miss that! (self serving I know but WTF....I do love food.)

Looking forward to the news, I'm gonna guess the machinist is more than able to resolve the spindle issue....technically it's a piece of cake..... and you will be on your way soon (and about the same time the lost piece of doom shows up!!)
So here's to you both and good luck on the remainder of the magnificent, if not protracted, trip, thumbs up to you both!!
Keep a positive attitude and dont' get bummed.....easy for me to say, but don't go down a whirlpool of negativity......I'm sure you won't....
koi
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote