Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #181
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
In search of the Sourtoe cocktail....>>>>.

YAHOOOOOO, we got the part and it's installed. (details later....after our naps) The journey continues tomorrow...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #182
Mastercylinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer

YAHOOOOOO, we got the part and it's installed. (details later....after our naps) The journey continues tomorrow...
OUTSTANDING!
Mastercylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #183
Wngnut
Machinist Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 214
Awesome!!!!!!!!!
Wngnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #184
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Super!!!

As for food---I want to see meat, and meat and more meat!!! Enough of that sushi stuff...

Come to think of it....I'm gonna grill me a steak now to celebrate you guys getting your parts!!

That is great news---which means I get to "travel" with you more...

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #185
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Jabberwocky

..........."Oh, frabjous day!
............Callooh! Callay!" Lewis Carroll

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'

Get Back screwed with this post 07-14-2009 at 05:05 PM
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #186
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,982
Cool2

Just when you think the trail has come to an end, and it's time to head back... another page in the adventure begins .

Happy trails!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #187
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Wahoooooo!!!!

Needless to say I echo all the above comments, even disparaging geographical remarks by Shaun....
Hell, it's all up north to me from here
So.....the adventure continues??? Not giving up and heading back???
The relief is palpable, enjoyed by all and encouraging for us onlookers and journey watchers.....and especially , i am sure, by yourselves.....
The gods smile upon your heads, the universal energy has recharged your batteries and I bumble along, happy, and wish you two the best.....
I look forward to "The rest of the story!!" Technical details would be appreciated with the obligatory "on your backside under the jacked up hack" pictures and close ups of the offending part as you chuck that sucker in the Yukon River.....and by all means, FOOD PICTURES, aka fried moose!!!!
Smiling....deliriously happy....
koifarm
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #188
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Well Said, Bill!

..........What He Said

..........( Disparaging?...Moi ! ?? )

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #189
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Wheel of Fortune....

First a bit of Bearing-ology 101.

To make you understand what is involved with this bearing/Hub/spindle/wheel set up we need to be a bit more concise in explaining what is involved there. I know most of you understand the simple, rugged..last forever...most neglected boat/bike, etc trailer where the actual Hub/bearings/races are in the wheel and the spindle is most likely welded or bolted to the frame/support etc. In other words the spindle is stationary while the bearings and races rotate.

To repeat the above:

Jays Dauntless Tub design has a different application: The tapered roller bearings are mounted stationary to a rotating spindle. This is opposite to a conventional trailer/sidecar stub shaft setup, where the bearings mount in the hub of the wheel, and the shaft is stationary. A rotating shaft setup requires I think a much closer bearing fit on the shaft to prevent the inner race spinning on the shaft. Almost a press-fit?. Is this reverse application more stressful on the spindle, probably? Bad design..of course not. It's just a design that was best suited for today where many wanted to have custom wheels like us to be mounted.

As others have put it:

Obviously, the optimum position for the wheel-bearings would be equally-spaced about the tire-tread center-line, usually within the wheel-hub. Currently they are too far off-center and too small for our application with that much leverage. This could be one cause for premature failure. Also field repairable it isn't as one needs either a press or a heavy hammer to unseat the first bearing inner race which is pretty tight on the spindle to prevent slippage. It's not like your home trailer when you remove the cotter pin and unseat the castle nut.. the bearing FALLS onto your lap! Not so with current design on my sidecar...we got to butcher it out somehow should it fail. Should those currently on the road be of worry...not necessarily, depends what fancy wheel you carry, how you ride...how many kitchen sinks you carry, etc...

Please let me remind you this is not a flawed design but a design to have met everyones needs for now....of course Jay and his crew are already on the drawing board to come with something better that will be bullet proof. I am convinced that he will prevail!

Jay at Dauntless is a good man and he has gone beyond the call of duty to get the UPS delivery resolved which it finally has after 1.3 weeks.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #190
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Mystery solved and celebrated!

Intricate mechanical details appreciated! Now we can understand the situation you were/are in.
It does seem like a rather unusual setup, of course totally in reverse of the good old "spindle and bearings" setups we are all used to.
Technology is a wonderful thing, and in the correct hands, remarkable, it would seem like a bit of overkill to this reader but then Jay at Dauntless is a progressive thinking/doing man and is always seeking mechanical nirvana.
So......to celebrate I took the following things.
1. Four ripe Georgia freestone large peaches
2. Gourmet Buttermilk.
3. Cobbler fixins
And baked yawl a good old southern peach cobbler, you will note, the carmelized crust on top, edges actually chewey, the puffy mid crust over the peach juice soaked lower layer and finally cobbler wrapped delicious soft ripe and sweet peaches.
Sometimes payback can be good, I would only wish you two were here to enjoy a dish with my wife and me (revised a la Shaun)
MMmmmmmmmmm.......goooooood!

And, of course, a close up yumm yumm shot!

Bon Voyage, mes amis, Bon appetit!!!

koifarm screwed with this post 07-14-2009 at 06:56 PM
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #191
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Bearing-ology 103

As you all know it is appropriate to give pony express UPS a chance to deliver, but no more than a week and WhiteHorse has reaped enough of our stimulus money. We gave it 1.3 weeks...decided to pay a visit to this shop inmate Acerph displayed on this site. Confirmed an 0800 hr appointment with the machine man to see what he could cook up for us.

I have to thank Acerph for leading us there..

"When I was in Whitehorse w/ that bike, it developed a leaky O-ring that seals the fuel pump access panel. There was a parts supply place around the corner from the Honda dealer that had all kinds of small parts. They had a wall of O-rings. Let's see...I have a picture of the place somewhere...

Maybe they have bearings that will work.

edit:I'll bet you probably went to Ajax w/ the trailer guy. I sorry you're stuck."

On a chilly Tuesday morning we rode and found the shop and met the machine man. Duke heads up the shop at Mobile Maintenance (see sign under Ajax and Wayne is the machinist/welder....2 nice fellows who couldn't have been more helpful!!! Kudos to them as Duke was very accommodating and let us use his shop to do what we needed done. Be sure you put this in your book anytime you venture into Whitehorse, YUKON!!

they let us wheel the bike into the cavernous machine room and disassemble the defective part to be brought to the steel examining table for evaluation..

Provided us with a gigantic jack and stand..

Told us if we needed additional tools and just ask..

removed the offending part....it wasn't the swing arm just the innards of the hub/bearings, etc.

that's Wayne...

While slowly dissassembling everything the Foreman, Duke came and told us that the Hotel called saying that the package finally arrived at the Hotel. He offered to drive me there to pick it up and Wayne was put on hold...

Here's the package brought back from the Hotel.
We were too jittery to focus the camera..

Clearly stated: WHITEHORSE, YT, CA. Where ya' been.....????

And it's contents...

It's a prototype, heavier...and fits the BMW cast wheel like a glove

The lower bolt housing was a bit short for this prototype so added a sleeve in order to keep the shock vertical. Added a new Nylock nut as well.

the new prototype does shift the wheel a bit outward...although much better than the previous model being too close to the inner fender wall.

All ready to roll.......

Two happy mechanics, the weekender and the real dude..!!

This shop is highly recommended, motorcycle friendly. They have just about everything, if not would be able to fabricate....except heart surgery! For all these accommodatins by Mobile Maintenance--use of space; jack; jack stand; mechanics evaluation; grease; fitment of sleeve; tools; paper towels, etc: $50 CDN.

Patronize them and tell them we sent you..."the deaf couple in this crazy crayola bike/sidecar setup".....

A happy couple... (hey Hondachopper....I'm having Bison Stew and Sharon is eating halibut)!!

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-14-2009 at 09:24 PM
Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #192
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418
Hurrah!

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #193
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Congrats on the Fix

You guys must be near ecstatic to get back on the road. Obviously, plenty of fodder for frustration in the whole affair, but it all turned out well. Most frustrating that the rig being at Dauntless for nearly a week BEFORE you headed north didn't head-off the eventual failure, but comforting to see that they did fab a new swingarm and hub with changes that will hopefully be improvements.

So, may your bearings spin freely, the winds be at your back, and the roads smooth ahead, keep those posts coming!

And, on the Bison stew and halibut, is it just me, or do the portions seem unusually HUGE in Whitehorse? Good thing you're getting out of there, of you'd have to work off the 55 pounds instead of just shipping it home .

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #194
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,604
Cool!!

Back on the road!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 AM   #195
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467

now, I hope to for the rest of your trip!
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote