Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #196
Mangoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Yee Haaa!!!!!! We're so happy for you that the 'blessed' part finally arrived. We're having a cold one in your honor! On the road again...... Love and hugs, The Mangoes
Mangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #197
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
On the Road.....Again!!

Elmer & Sharon,

Can't tell you how happy I am the journey continues! I was really bummed about the shipping woes, and it was obvious it was taking a toll on the two of you. (Although you were stronger and more patient than I would have been!)

I bought an '02 1150GS with a brand new Adventure tranny. I am picking up my new Ural tub today, which has just been "rock-guarded" on the outside and bedliner-sprayed on the bottom and inside. It will go to Jay's when I am working again. I will probably be using one of Mikepa's "discarded" frames (only one shock on the swingarm) for the hack. UI'll be sure to ask for the new & improved swingarm!!
Between you and Mikepa, Jay is the lucky recipient of thousands of miles of real-world testing of his design ideas and build quality. The rest of us coming a little after you will benefit enormously from what you have experienced. I hope Jay is honest, decent and smart enough to incorporate all the changes your "incidents" have exposed.

BTW, I found a link for Mobile Maintenace in Whitehorse. It allows people to post a "review" of their experiences. It might help them if a few of us did just that with your visit in mind. Mentioning ADV might be reassuring to future riders that need assistance. The link is:

http://tinyurl.com/m67hmv

I hope the rest of your trip is full of happy times!!

Olyrider
OlyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #198
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Some thoughts!

In the still summer dawn
The broken steed awaits repair
The riders, hopeful, await an answer
So the journey can continue

Friends from afar
Send words of hope
The riders eat
Questioning life itself

Seeking answers
They find aid
In a most unlikely place
As they resolve the problem

Suddenly over the mountain
A ray of beaming light
Brings the answer
And the journey begins again

Well, it ain't whatcha call Haiku but it's a pretty close third.....
The post was great, now we know ......the rest of the story.....
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #199
BMWWillie
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Congratulations

You have persevered - my prayer answered; you are on your way to Deadhorse (eventually) and I am on my way to heaven - Thanks loads. And, thank you for the technical description of your spindle/axel and bearing configuration, I am sure that the fellow at Dauntless will look into the situation and do the necessary engineering. One thing to consider is the hardness of the metals involved. I don't know what metals the spindle/axel and bearings are machined from but you definitely want to be positive about their hardness applications in function with each other, ie., MS or AN steel used for aircraft landing gear axels/spindles - and compatible bearings. Best luck on your continued Adventure. By the way, I know the water in Prudhoe Bay is a few degrees cooler than tipid! Will
BMWWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #200
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Exotic Food ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koifarm
Well, it ain't whatcha call Haiku .....
...............what's a good wine to serve with that?

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #201
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Side dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Back
...............what's a good wine to serve with that?
'Round hereabouts we gennly prefer Mad Dog 50-50
Old 07-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #202
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
As Tim Allen would say...
Grrrr! Grrrr! Bison stew and Halibut!!! Grrrr!

No more of that frozen stuff now!! I bet food tastes sooooo much better once we all got past that bearing business.

After all that waiting around---Did you make it up to Deadhorse today??? Chuckle...

A thought just occurred to me---isn't there going to be any Bison meat that far north? Or will you be eating something strange like Caribou? Or bear meat??? Looking forward to your trip, the culture and good eats!!!

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #203
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
An Impudent Little Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by koifarm
'Round hereabouts we gennly prefer Mad Dog 50-50
.................How 'bout Labatt's 50?

( Oh, Gawd...more hijack fines to Sharon! )

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #204
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Hijack central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Back
.................How 'bout Labatt's 50?

( Oh, Gawd...more hijack fines to Sharon! )
My first virginal taste of Canadian beer, it totally decked my butt.....wasn't used to the alcohol content so drank my usual.....
I recon the kids are too deliriously happy to post.....and exhausted from all the mental ping pong....
Sleep well my friends, you deserve a rest!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #205
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider
Between you and Mikepa, Jay is the lucky recipient of thousands of miles of real-world testing of his design ideas and build quality. The rest of us coming a little after you will benefit enormously from what you have experienced. I hope Jay is honest, decent and smart enough to incorporate all the changes your "incidents" have exposed.
Olyrider, Elmer and Sharon -

The whole wheel bearing incident sucks, no two ways about it. Truth is, sidecar building is an art, not a science, and each rig is pretty much a one-off, custom design, the market is too small to allow for a fully prototyped, engineered, tested, and documented production design. So, things can go wrong. Ultimately, the true test of a vendor's essential "goodness" is, do they stand behind their product when something goes wrong?

For what it's worth, due largely (I suspect) to the problem that Elmer and Sharon experienced, I just received a letter from Dauntless Motors, apparently sent out to all riders who own a Dauntless M72D tub and/or chassis AND had a stock BMW OEM Wheel fitted to it. The letter states that they've found a problem due to the bearing carrier being incorrectly manufactured by their supplier, explains how to give the tub's wheel a quick check for bearing play, and advises owners to contact Dauntless if they find excessive play in the wheel. It appears the delay in shipment was due to UPS, not Dauntless, and at least Dauntless was able to turn-around an improved design for Elmer and Sharon in short order, and took the extra step of informing other owners that a potential problem may exist.

Not trying to trivialize a problem that should have been avoided in the first place, but at least Dauntless has taken corrective action. Not all of us (myself included) have the equipment and skills to build a rig on our own, so, I'll forgive anyone or any shop that is willing to service such a specialized market as ours, so long as they make good when things go south (especially when one is trying to head North, to Alaska!).

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #206
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
Olyrider, Elmer and Sharon -

The whole wheel bearing incident sucks, no two ways about it. Truth is, sidecar building is an art, not a science, and each rig is pretty much a one-off, custom design, the market is too small to allow for a fully prototyped, engineered, tested, and documented production design. So, things can go wrong. Ultimately, the true test of a vendor's essential "goodness" is, do they stand behind their product when something goes wrong?

For what it's worth, due largely (I suspect) to the problem that Elmer and Sharon experienced, I just received a letter from Dauntless Motors, apparently sent out to all riders who own a Dauntless M72D tub and/or chassis AND had a stock BMW OEM Wheel fitted to it. The letter states that they've found a problem due to the bearing carrier being incorrectly manufactured by their supplier, explains how to give the tub's wheel a quick check for bearing play, and advises owners to contact Dauntless if they find excessive play in the wheel. It appears the delay in shipment was due to UPS, not Dauntless, and at least Dauntless was able to turn-around an improved design for Elmer and Sharon in short order, and took the extra step of informing other owners that a potential problem may exist.

Not trying to trivialize a problem that should have been avoided in the first place, but at least Dauntless has taken corrective action. Not all of us (myself included) have the equipment and skills to build a rig on our own, so, I'll forgive anyone or any shop that is willing to service such a specialized market as ours, so long as they make good when things go south (especially when one is trying to head North, to Alaska!).

Best,
Well said,.... Mikepa....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #207
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,641
Meet you in May at Blue Ridge

Great Report

Your friends,

Michael & Sally
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #208
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Mikepa,

That is good to know. Glad that Dauntless is sending out letters---this effort by dauntless is a sign of integrity on their part and that explains the bearing failure was due to being "incorrectly manufactured". Bearings is the foundation of how our world turns. It is applied and used in everything that has motion. Engines, wheels on every vehicle on the planet, from power plants to house hold items such as vacuum cleaners and on to turbine engines in airplanes. The use is endless and the margin for error is next to nil.

Speaking of airplanes---are these the same bearing manufacturers that supplies our airlines? Grin. Going to be scheduling a couple of flights in the next couple of months and probably will be thinking of Elmer and Sharon's bearings while in flight. Hummm---on the other hand, maybe I'll take a car instead---at least I won't have too far to fall. Chuckle...

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #209
X'N
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondachopper
Mikepa,

That is good to know. Glad that Dauntless is sending out letters---this effort by dauntless is a sign of integrity on their part and that explains the bearing failure was due to being "incorrectly manufactured". Bearings is the foundation of how our world turns. It is applied and used in everything that has motion. Engines, wheels on every vehicle on the planet, from power plants to house hold items such as vacuum cleaners and on to turbine engines in airplanes. The use is endless and the margin for error is next to nil.

Speaking of airplanes---are these the same bearing manufacturers that supplies our airlines? Grin. Going to be scheduling a couple of flights in the next couple of months and probably will be thinking of Elmer and Sharon's bearings while in flight. Hummm---on the other hand, maybe I'll take a car instead---at least I won't have too far to fall. Chuckle...

Tom
You have a better chance of getting killed in your car on the way to the airport than being in a plane crash.

It sounds like the issue in this instance was improper manufacturing of components around the bearings that lead to the bearing failure, not the bearings being bad themselves.
X'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:25 AM   #210
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Bearing n' food postings be gone....here's the Journey

Left Whitehorse on a cold rainy morning heading for Dawson City..

Klondike Highway....Pelly River

Smokey haze started to obscure the area approaching Carmacks. A smoldering forest fire was the cause. The area of smoke was for about 40 km.

Road site historical attraction

Original iron stove..

Fueling up in Carmacks...

Large gravel section or occassional gravel section of the Klondike HIghway

Freshly grated gravel on the left..avoid these as they are about 3" deep...
Comfortable Speeds attained on these roads are between 30-40 mph with the sidecar

The mighty Yukon river snaking its way toward Dawson..

The isolated stretch toward Dawson continues..

Ravaged by previous forest fires..1995
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote