User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #211
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
On the road to Dawson City..

More gravelized sections of the Klondike HIghway. Summer is maintenance time...

Back on the tarmac...

Notice the clearings and chopped down trees...Canada has made a valiant effort in providing a clear view for drivers to be able to see wildlife trying to cross roads. By seeing them in advance chances are that you will have amble stopping time..

Gravel road...DUST TO DAWSON(D2D), eh..

Took a water and gas break..

Notice the mosquito attack...

Approaching Dawson...

This is the entrance of the Dempster Highway leading to Inuvik, NWT. Dawson is still about 40 km from this entrance. Inuvik is about 400+ miles from there and is connected in the winter to the ice road leading to Tuktoyatuk as seen on Discovery Channel. Sadly we will not traverse the Dempster gravel road due to having lost a week in Whitehorse as well as not having too much confidence in the swing arm bearing system on the sidecar, but will challenge it another time.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-19-2009 at 02:01 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #212
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

In search of the Sourtoe Cocktail..

Entering Dawson. Dawson literally sits on gravel, just like the old days. Every street...main...alleys..sidestreets are gravel. Most accommodations require you that you remove your shoes.

Our B/B...no TV; Hallway bath

Downtown Dawson..

We passed this Swiss couple on teh Klondike Highway. They had their truck shipped to Halifax, NS and are now on their way to Alaska. The truck and trailer have just about everything, even a mini machine shop.

Met them again in Dawson

It's a Saurer Diesel...

Old 07-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #213
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

For the literary kind...

Robert Service actual cabin. He was a poet and writer, sometimes referred to as "the Bard of the Yukon. He is best-known for his writings on the Canadian North, including the poems "The Shooting of Dan McGrew", "The Law of the Yukon", and " The Cremation of Sam McGee". His writing was so expressive that his readers took him for a hard-bitten old Klondike prospector, not the later-arriving bank clerk he actually was.

Also here is another cabin of famous writer...Jack London...author of, "The Call of the Wild", "White Fang", and "The Sea Wolf" along with many other ...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-19-2009 at 02:05 PM
Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #214
Mastercylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Fantastic pictures. Enjoy the ride.
Mastercylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #215
Wngnut
Machinist Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 214
I have always liked his stuff. "The Cremation of Sam McGee" Is great!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lBkuz1TlVc
Wngnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #216
brosanc
WormGuy

Oddometer: 48
Dawson City

E&S,
Glad to hear your on the road again ! I guess we will not have to post our pictures, we have all the same ones. Make sure you go up the Dome road and check out that view. We loved Dawson City and stayed 2 days there. You are really going to love the Top of the World Hwy and stop in Chicken for a slice of the home made pie - Yumm ! Be Safe

Brian
brosanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #217
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Chasing the Sourtoe cocktail..cont.

This is what I came for....it's the Toe.

Strange things are done 'neath the Midnight Sun...and one of the strangest is the Sourtoe Cocktail.

You would expect a Dawson Bar to have a specialty Sourdough Cocktail. That seems reasonable. but what about a Sourtoe Cocktail?

That's right. This drink is world famous, and it contains a petrified human toe.

If you walk into the Sourdough Saloon in the Downtown Hotel most any day during Happy Hour, you'll see a seafaring-type character initiating the brave into the Sourtoe Cocktail Club. Captain Bill Holmes will tell you the story of the original appendage connoisseur, Captain Dick Stevenson, as he gently plops the pickled toe into the drink of your choice. (Sorry, no water allowed.)

If you swallow your fear (and NOT the toe - Captail Bill is strict in his rule than any lost toe must be replaced) and slam back the toe-filled drink, you are officially among the nearly 32,927 world-wide members of the Sourtoe Cocktail Club.

Bill Holmes took over from Dick Stevenson as captain of the Yukon Lou, a paddlewheeler that tours the Yukon River each summer. The other duty he took over was the toe.

Captain Dick began the sourtoe saga in September of 1973. The idea sprang from a human toe found in Dick's new cabin, and a conversation about an Ice Worm drink in a famous Robert Service poem.

From there, Captain Dick's club became a success. By the time Captain Dick retired, he had gone through seven different toes (some swallowed) and had a log book containing almost 13,000 names of sourtoers.

Captain Bill has added to the list which includes a 6 month old child and a 91 year old toe-swallower. The Sourtoe Cocktail Club is sure to draw crowds, as 1999 is the 26th anniversary of the toe.

going over the rules and regulations...

You can drink it fast
You can drink it slow
But the lips have got to touch the toe

Nickolas Papapondreau...a Greek immigrant..moved here to the Yukon and created a storm of a farmers plate of real Greek stufffffffffff!

NO FOOD comments please..just feast your eyes..

Cheers....your Hack couple on the road ...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-19-2009 at 02:09 PM
Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #218
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85

Speechless!

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #219
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
As they said about Hannibal Lecter:

"Witty, cultured, confident, urbane - and ONE HELL OF AN OMNIVORE!"

Good on yer ...

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #220
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Well now!

Actually, I'm speechless......I must sleep on it......only thing that comes to mind right now is

AWESOME !!!!
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #221
Mangoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thumb

EEEWWWWW!!!!! Yuck!!!!! Way to go, Elmer! The Mangoes
Mangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #222
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Update.......

Wonderful report, glad to see you two back on track and on by all that stress and agony.
Robert Service....hmmm....I think it's awesome that you visited his cabin, he is, without a doubt, one of my most favorite authors, have his books, love his poetry, the cabin would be a pilgrimage for me and you guys have made it possible...thanks so much.....
Jack London, another of my favorites, actually just recently re-read "White Fang", another pilgrimage complete grâce à vous deux!
The Toe.....ohmigawd, one list i'll likely never be on!!!!
Dawson, what a magical place where so many lives were started and ended in the gold strike......wonderful pictures, many thanks again!
The scenery, the land seems to have flattened out, the log structures, amazing how men survived with little more than an axe, a gun and a gold pan....little log coops.....huge log buildings....well, they didn't have Home Depot in those days... the downtown area is totally cool, awful glad to see em keeping those old buildings preserved, it's a beautiful place....so much history, the ghosts of the people who built it still walk the streets.
The Swiss couple...reminiscent of a huge old Army truck lumbering along at 45 mph while enjoying the scenery...cool....
You guys have an awful great "composition sense" which comes through in your pictures....great job!! You're gonna have a few albums of pictures to remember your trip and we have the memories of seeing it along with you....
Can't wait for the next post...
koifarm....
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #223
Johnny Wolvo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
My Tonic!!!!

[
Hello, it is just brilliant that you are continuing on your journey. I was so sad that you had decided to return home after your problems with your sidecar wheel bearings. With that type of design it puts so much strain onto so small bearings, and they are so close together that the leverage on them is tremendous. Just what is the diameter of the spindle where it goes through these bearings? Dauntless did a great job in getting their latest prototype out to you. Good luck, and ride safe for the rest of your journey. My tonic now continues.

Your old friend from the UK……….Johnny Wolverson.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #224
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
No Abenteuerfahrer??? I knew it!!! It's the toe! The toe did him in!!! Probably laid up somewhere nursing a rare disease from the 1800's.

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #225
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418
What surprised me, is that in Canada I'd have expected them to have converted that toe to centimeters.

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote