Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #286
dvonasek
Old Rider

Oddometer: 4
Design Flaw !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Davonasek...

It is perfectly alright to hack a GS for the adventure of it. It is perfectly alright and sound to attach a Dauntless M72D sidecar to it. Fear not! Jay is making things better after my mishap...he runs a small business catering to the adventurous kind...he collects inputs and improves thereupon! No need to shy away from Dauntless the same way with BMW riders who have final drive problems and still buy the marque. Final drives failures are in the minority but greatly exaggerated on ADV posts. All makes of bikes, sidecars have something to give. Jay pretty much sticks to his product and backs it up when the need arises....tell me if this is the same with BMWNA after the warranty expires...."Nein"!!
Elmer- You have to be a saint. You are much more kind, tolerant and accepting of things than many of us (that would be me). The problem is that the spindle design is flawed. It should, arguably not be the rotating member as it does not afford sufficient mounting strength. More likely it is the wrong alloy, improper heat treatment after machining, or of insufficient size for the application. Without getting into the design parameters and evaluating the failed members it is impossible to tell. As I said in my previous post, I will be shying away from Jay's product. And yes I do have a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Best of luck on your trip home & thanks again for sharing.
dvonasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #287
MojaveSidecar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvonasek
Elmer- You have to be a saint. You are much more kind, tolerant and accepting of things than many of us (that would be me). The problem is that the spindle design is flawed. It should, arguably not be the rotating member as it does not afford sufficient mounting strength. More likely it is the wrong alloy, improper heat treatment after machining, or of insufficient size for the application. Without getting into the design parameters and evaluating the failed members it is impossible to tell. As I said in my previous post, I will be shying away from Jay's product. And yes I do have a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Best of luck on your trip home & thanks again for sharing.
I definitely don't have a degree in mechanical engineering, but I have been thinking about how I might add a driven sidecar wheel to my soon to be delivered sidecar for my KLR.. It seems to me that a hub and spinning sidecar spindle such as Jay designed would be required. Now if I could just figure out how to put similar bearings in the swing arm so that the sprocket hub and rear axle all spin as a unit... and then hook the rear spinning axle to a driveshaft from rear axle to sidecar and an engagement mechanism, I'd be good to go..
MojaveSidecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #288
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Randy from Burbank...

I believe that Jay as of now is doing just that what your'e talking about. Check with him..he's pretty resilent and improves quickly within..
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #289
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Hondachopper....

Hola...thanks for your comments and undivided support. You've also been a friend when in need. Hope to see you at the EDB fall meeting if I am up to it. Send our love to Bobbie...

As you might have extracted from this post here. We're sailing to Bellingham, WA this Monday..eh, another "shades of Whitehorse" delay here in a Haines, Ak Motel. And at the $$$$, guess I have to build more furniture to regroup of what we have spend so far..ugh.

In Bellingham, WA..Dauntless Motors will pick us up via trailer and head for the stable there. Trying to see whether they can fix it in a reasonable amount of time. IF so, then the Adventure continues other wise I'll ride solo after the trail reducer change straight to NC, while Sharon flies the blue skies above .

Cheers
Old 07-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #290
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Elmer and Sharon:

First of all I sent you a PM quite some time ago and I am still wondering if you have indeed received it.

I have been loyally following your thread all throughout the adventure you have been having.

I know everyone tends to hope any adventure will be a positive one. Your mention about adventure is not all roses, it does have its ups and downs. I would reckon at end of adventures, whether good or bad, one would cherish them as unforgotten experiences and would narrate the such to his/her grandchildren!

I feel very much for you and even more admire you keeping even headed about the whole thing! You even discouraged any bad-mouthing and/or finger pointing among us on why both unfortunate episodes occurred.

Well I will have to admit that i was rather setaback on the spindle being a rotating member with the bearing being the fulcrum away from the hub. I just feel that the bearing should be at where the direct weight, the hub/wheel, is.

I guess Jay knew why the design would be the way it is.

Well I hope your trip back home will be uneventful, at least much less than what you have experienced!

I wish I could hop upon my bike and ride to join you but I am obligated to teaching til the 12 of August.

You will have a quit of as story, to the more minute detail, to share with us when we meet! Loved the cultural pixes and please keep them coming!

i will continue to follow your progress til you get back to your beloved Tar Heel state! Take care!!
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #291
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennymiler
Elmer and Sharon:

First of all I sent you a PM quite some time ago and I am still wondering if you have indeed received it.

I have been loyally following your thread all throughout the adventure you have been having.

I know everyone tends to hope any adventure will be a positive one. Your mention about adventure is not all roses, it does have its ups and downs. I would reckon at end of adventures, whether good or bad, one would cherish them as unforgotten experiences and would narrate the such to his/her grandchildren!

I feel very much for you and even more admire you keeping even headed about the whole thing! You even discouraged any bad-mouthing and/or finger pointing among us on why both unfortunate episodes occurred.

Well I will have to admit that i was rather setaback on the spindle being a rotating member with the bearing being the fulcrum away from the hub. I just feel that the bearing should be at where the direct weight, the hub/wheel, is.

I guess Jay knew why the design would be the way it is.

Well I hope your trip back home will be uneventful, at least much less than what you have experienced!

I wish I could hop upon my bike and ride to join you but I am obligated to teaching til the 12 of August.

You will have a quit of as story, to the more minute detail, to share with us when we meet! Loved the cultural pixes and please keep them coming!

i will continue to follow your progress til you get back to your beloved Tar Heel state! Take care!!
Woooo PENNYMILER...

I guess I'll get the $50 bucks this time from the EDB folks for miles accummulated, he,he...?? Thanks for your encouragement..of course I wish that you were here to provide some morale boosts..and see whether you can chuck it out with me. Ain't for the fainthearted tho...
We're fine..just frustated in the delays and it's costing us an arm and leg in all things Alaska. Just had a Mexican plate here in Haines, although excellent for $22.00 ...Rum and coke here at the bar are not sooo bad; $4.75 a shot and I am having several with the view of the Bay..

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-23-2009 at 11:26 PM
Old 07-24-2009, 05:31 AM   #292
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,559
We have been able to see a lot happen thanks to Elmer and Sharon's excellent reporting through this site. From the delivery of the sidecar through some setbacks early on and then to the final assembly of the outfit and finally into their adventure ride up into the state of Alaska. Through all of this I think ,we, who have been following along may have gained a lot from the experiences of Elmer and Sharon. I want to thank the both of them for sharing with all of us. One thing that stands out to me is that there still is, on this earth, some who can take some setbacks, both big and small, in stride and be big enough to move forward after painfully rolling with the punches. It humbles me to see this in action. I also hope that it humbles others in a positive way all the way from the manufacturer to the ones reading these pages. We are all in this together and we all have some issues to overcome. Lets trust that everyone invloved either directly or not will move forward with a new awareness due to what we have seen here.
Thanks Elmer and Sharon for sharing. You both are to be commended in many ways.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #293
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Elmer & Sharon

Well-written, Claude!!!

+1

I, too, have marveled at how well our travelers have endured and overcome. This much time away from home, and dealing with nagging problems, can exact a toll that compels an average person to pack it up, and head her for the barn. These two are awesome!!

Olyrider
OlyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #294
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider
Well-written, Claude!!!

+1

I, too, have marveled at how well our travelers have endured and overcome. This much time away from home, and dealing with nagging problems, can exact a toll that compels an average person to pack it up, and head her for the barn. These two are awesome!!

Olyrider
Yes, these two are awsome. This site is called 'adventure rider'... adventure riding may mean many things to various people but anytime we are confronted with a challenge it is a part of the adventure whether it is a good or bad experience. How one handles these trials while moving forward , to me, is a big part of how much one can be called a true 'adventure rider'. Elmer and Sharon have passed the test, no doubt, and we can all be encouraged by that.
Perpare for the worst , hope for the best and make do with whatever it takes when the time comes!!

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #295
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
+10 on what Claude said, all of it....Thank you Claude!! Well written!
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #296
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

We owe you all these pictures....!!

(Sharon) Photos taken last Tuesday before the fiasco...we left Tok and rode down the Alaska Highway. Canadian Border crossing into Yukon towards Haines Junction

Haines Junction is the gateway to Kluane National Park. A small village in the Yukon with population of 789 (reported in 2004).
For many thousands of years the Southern Tutchone people had seasonal hunting and fishing camps in the area of present-day Haines Junction. The original name of the area was "Dakwakada", a Southern Tutchone word meaning "high cache". It was common for Tutchone people to use raised log caches to store food year-round or temporarily while they hunted and fished in an area. This photo was taken in the center of Haines Junction.

Entering Burwash Landing community

Burwash Landing, Yukon is a small community along the southern shore of Kluane Lake. A 1999 fire destroyed this little community and burned 4 houses.

"Dakwakada", a Southern Tutchone word meaning "high cache", was the original name for the site of Haines Junction. It was common for Southern Tutchone people to use raised log caches to store food year-round, or temporarily while they hunted and fished in an area.

Typical house of the Tutchone people....yes, you are looking at a stuffed dog/wolf (??) It was left as it was after the fire.

Community church...still in use.

Stuffed human...nah, it's a dummy

Destruction Bay...the name is derived from the wind blowing down structures erected by the military during highway construction in 1942-43. Populated mostly by non-aboriginal residents, community residents provide Yukon government services to residents in the area (school, highway maintenance), including nearby Burwash Landing and some tourism-related businesses along the Alaska Highway. The school had 10 students and population of 59 according to 2005 census report.

Intense aqua colored water ...not sure whether it gets its intense color from the glacier or from mineral deposits as it is not clear all the way down. You could see some mineral deposits in the murky colored water below the surface.

beautiful snow draped mountain off to the side somewhere along the highway

the wind was blowing 15-20 knots...here's the proof (Mangoes, can you see yourselves sailing in this magnificient surrounding)...

I took this picture just before the fiasco... doesn't this look like we're having fun!!!!!

oh, oh...another "Follow Me" car....don't you just love em by now?!!! Tlhis spot was about 15 miles back before the incident.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #297
brosanc
WormGuy

Oddometer: 48
I just read about yet another set back

Elmer & Sharon,
I'm so glad to hear you are OK ! I truley wished we could have hooked up along the trail and possibly been of some help. I am so sorry about all your problems. Thanks for posting all your gorgeous pictures. Even though we just traveled almost the exact route and seen the those amazing sights, your pictures and comments bring it all back and really give all the ADV readers a good insight to that trip. Keep those pictures coming. I can't wait to get together with you guys when you get back to NC.

Brosanc (brian & ellie)
PS - still have not figured how to post pic on ADV (lazy)
brosanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #298
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Now some pictures in and around Haines, AK...

(Sharon) Here's what we've seen since being stranded in Haines, a neat small town and a good place to be stuck! In 1898 - 1899, this small town once boasted a population of up to 30,000 during the gold rush. 2000 census shows the population dwindled down to 1,811. The community and surrounding area is extremely popular for outdoor recreation. Lots of interesting and intense information about the sad history of Haines is described at this link: http://chilkatindianvillage.org/history.php

View from our hotel room...the Lynn Canal

10 ft. tides taken at the only local dock

Once a thriving fishing community...no longer! The last of the four canneries closed in 1972 due to declining fish stocks. Logging and sawing timber has been an industry around Haines but has declined also in recent years. Tourism is now an important source of income in the community.

ahhh, reminds us so much of our former cruising adventures...

we've resorted to eating sea vegetables....

mmm, delicious!!!

hammer museum!??

Haines is well known for its totem poles art...

For more information on symbols and meanings: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/NA-Totems.html

Burls start as an irritation in the spruce. The tree sends extra sap as healant, which creates a growth (burl). Burls are either "green," harvested from live trees in the spring, or they are "dry burls," taken from dead burl trees. Burls are peeled off their bark and used in their natural form as fenceposts, for example, or they may be shaped and finished into a variety of objects, such as bowls.

Treated ourselves to nice mexican dinner last night...we were told there was 2 great restaurant in town and this was one

Get ready to whet your palete...Burrito Special!!

This was parked behind Mosey's Cantina (is that you Mangoes??) Maybe our next adventure...we're obviously looking at alternatives

Ended our evening with this incredible ghost ship sighting.....

In search for Bald Eagles tomorrow....til then!

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 10:02 PM
Old 07-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #299
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Touring Alaska!

Beautiful pictures as usual....very interesting tour of Haines, more interesting about the local economy....one of the sad tales of human depletion of natural resources....catch all the fish, none left....go cut trees, cut all the trees....nothing to do, population migrates away, and tourists are the main income....it's an age old story....
The seaweed looks like a good possibility for some sushi wrap (if there were any fish left) might work in a salad though....
Haines sounds and looks like a cute little town....I guess if you have to be stranded it's as good a place as any..loved the stuffed dog, the hammer museum and wonderful native totems and art...I've always had a soft spot for the Northwest native art, wonder if that long green boat on the porch was a harpoon boat...something about the shape keyed a mental vision of hunting whales with harpoons and the thought that some of the native cultures are allowed to take a few each year as a traditional food source. Hmmm, whale tacos.....pass that bowl of blubber please!!
Was that an Atkins double ender?
You guys are great, always keeping a positive attitude in the face of hardships....two good souls on a great adventure.....
Looking forward to the next chapter..
koi
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #300
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Please Upload !

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosanc
PS - still have not figured how to post pic on ADV (lazy)
...............Brosanc, You Have A PM. ..But the links don't seem to work from there!

Try Here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post10321438

......Reply #2

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'

Get Back screwed with this post 07-25-2009 at 10:27 AM
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote