Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #301
Mangoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Ahhh, the coast....now you're getting into our kind of territory!! No seriously, you're photos of the mountains, and all of your travels are awesome. Love the photos of the moose! I really want to see a live moose.....I've never seen one, believe it or not. Looks like some amazing scenery out there. Yes, that little Airstream does look familiar , but we kind of like that first option you looked at!! Ummmm, definitely something to think about when the sailing is done. We are heading south for a short while, so may not be able to check on you every day. We wish you a wonderful sail, and good luck in getting your rig fixed. We sure hope that you are able to continue your ride together as you make your way back east. If not, you've still had an awesome experience. For the record, we are not suprised at all at how you both are handling these setbacks.....we've always known that you are both awesome!!

All our love and hugs, the Mangoes
Mangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #302
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Goood Night ..it's Saturday...tomorrow will be Sunday

Cheers...Amigos..

Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #303
Wngnut
Machinist Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 214
Your pictures are great!!! What kind of camera are you using?

Wes
Wngnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #304
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
(Sharon posting here...) Alrighty, now let's have a look at some beautiful scenery before all the fiasco happened. Being an amatuer photographer it was hard for me to put the camera down. Pictures posted here were taken with a Panasonic Lumix 10X which was easy to use while in motion. Everytime I took a picture--I saw yet, another beautiful scenery or viewed a different angle that looked better than the previous shot. It didn't matter....my fingers kept clicking away and it was addicitive. Anyway, hope you'll enjoy the scenery as much as we did.
There ya go...

tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #305
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wngnut
I was just catching up with the thread and remember Sharon saying she's using a Panasonic Lumix 10X (which I presume means 10power zoom, could be ) I believe they have a 10mp and a 12 mp model. These have Leica lenses. I happen to have this camera as well and the picture quality is pretty darned good.
Great work by the photographer.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #306
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
This Snowbird Rocks!

......put arm again...
......phht ermig hen .
......pet ah meegan, .

Oh, Hell...let's just say Chicken (Alaska)

(phabulous photo, Sharon... )

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #307
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wngnut

Wes
It's a Panasonic DMC-T25 Lumix 10x optical zoom...a great lil' camera to keep on hand and shoot when needed. I also carried along a Cannon Rebel XSI EOS with 55-250 zoom lens. Amazingly, the Lumix zooms just as good. With the Cannon I am able to print larger pictures and with Lumix I'm limited to 8x11 pictures. I'm still experimenting and a very novice photographer. Still trying to figure out how to use depth of field and all that jazz on my fancy Rebel. Brought the lil' instruction booklet but grabbed the Spanish version... by mistake. oh well.......

Idea Man....you are so right, the picture quality on Lumix is pretty darn good!!!! Thanks for the compliment...now, I'm still searching for the elusive Bald Eagle!

Get Back...hey, I'll stick with chicken Let you figure out how we got this picture.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #308
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Some more views for you.....

Before we left for dinner found this cute one-eyed dog hanging around the deck of our motel....Sharon didn't have the heart to just leave him there. Took him up to front desk and people there said "oh, that's Molly's dog." Being a small town here in Haines...they started to call around in search of Molly and someone said she'd come and get the dog for Molly. One could never be "lost" in Haines!!

Fireweed...one of 2 best restaurant in Haines

Great atmosphere and usually fills up around lunch/dinner time with locals. They serve the freshest and wholesomest food. Their pesto pizza is to die for!!

Le chef....graduated from the Oregon Cullinary School. He's very skilled and fun to watch. He's got his kitchen well organized and we were entertained watching him prepare food. His food presentation and care is one of the best we've seen in Haines. Our vote for eating in Haines are: Mosey's and Fireweed, bar none!

Delicious pizza at a pretty penny.....2,200 of it!!

Salmon pasta special...

Hey, this one is for you, carnivorus Hondachopper!! A double buffalo burger.

At a local park on Beach Drive...showing respect for kids and grandparents

Beautiful homes dote along Beach Drive out to the point. Many are summer residents living in the lower 48 in the winter. New homes are being built along the shoreline opposite end of this drive (close to the ferry terminal)

Sharon hopped on a bicycle and rode down along both ends of Beach road...

Big enuff for 2...

Must have been some storm to beach these boats...abandonned..too costly to haul back...no insurance???

Town of Haines in the distance...

Sharon went bicycling taking all the beautiful pictures while I worked on the motorcycle. Replaced air filter and brake pads..
"Motorcycles and motorcyclists rot in port"!!!!

Sharon still in search of the Bald Eagle...
Cheers!

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 06:03 PM
Old 07-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #309
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
John James Audubon Alive & Well in Alaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
I'm still searching for the elusive Bald Eagle!
Get Back...hey, I'll stick with chicken Let you figure out how we got this picture.
.....some of the bald fellows here around Kamloops.

.....Rock Ptarmigan: Winter Plumage..........Did you photograph a Postcard,
by any chance? (purely A guess, you understand, not to impugn your photography)

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #310
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Back
.....some of the bald fellows here around Kamloops.

.....Rock Ptarmigan: Winter Plumage..........Did you photograph a Postcard,
by any chance? (purely A guess, you understand, not to impugn your photography)
Further impugnet, he got on wikipedia, took a screen shot, printed it and took the picture...or....just took a shot of the screen.....heh, heh, heh,

Oh, the food pics are delicious, causing Pavlov's theory to be proven right once again....munch munch munch.....mmmmm Hawaiian pizza....
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #311
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

A keen eye you guys got...Shaun, absolutely a postcard shot of the chicken in the months of winter...sure...Yeah...no intention to cheat you guys, just too darn beautiful to not post...Koifarm...had too many rum & cokes to kill the day and saw this postcard...can't you tell by the grainy pics....ain't real...

But this one is REAL...the same bird in it's summer plumage,,he,he....a real Haines resident..

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 07:22 PM
Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #312
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Sail Ho....!!

Tomorrow.... it's a 4 days sail passage aboard the M/V Columbia to Bellingham....SO no reports till we get to the USA..somewhere in Seattle or Encumclaw...

We've been taxed by Motels, B&B's...and we'll be reporting how we have survived living in the ships Solarium sleeping on deck

Will, of course, post a later shipboard life aboard the M/V Columbia.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #313
Wngnut
Machinist Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 214
Hope you two have a great boat ride!!!
Wngnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #314
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,096
Excellent ride report and great pictures.

Your patience and understanding borders on incomprehensible.

I've worked in vehicle service as a Tech, in management, or as a business owner for 27 years. I know what it feels like to be both the customer and the repair person or repair facility being blasted by a customer when something goes wrong. I do not wish to damage Dauntless's reputation in any way. Unfortunately the difficulty you've been through with your hack does plenty of reputational damage all by itself.

Having said that, I'm concerned. It seems the original design is flawed and has a track record of failure. Jay is to be applauded for doing everything possible to get you back on the road, but in the process you wound up with a prototype that was not properly tested. It could have ended so much worse than it did, but thankfully the gods were smiling upon you two and you were able to handle the rig. The reason for my concern at this point - and also the remaining question - centers on your ability to have faith in the replacement parts. How will you know if the next design is a good one? If I were you I'd avoid being a beta tester again at all costs. It just isn't worth the risk.

I wish Motorvation built an adventure chair. The durability of their mounting system, swing arm, and spindle and bearing setups is amazing. Here's a picture of my 1st Motorvation sidecar after it was crushed between two Jeeps, one of which was pulling a trailer weighing about 4000 pounds:

The impact speed was approximately 40 mph, and after being crushed between the two vehicles my entire rig flipped and bounced off of the pavement about 50 feet down the road, then slammed into a motor home and a car. The entire rig was destroyed obviously, but what amazed me was the fact that all of the linkage - though bent - did not disconnect or break. Likewise with the sidecar swing arm and wheel/spindle assembly.

If I were you this is the kind of durability I would be expecting of Dauntless after repairs are completed, especially for a rig designed to handle the abuse of being off pavement. You really shouldn't accept anything less, as your well-being depends on it!

Best of luck with the rest of your trip!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #315
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

The Eagle has landed.....

(Sharon) Found the only Eagle that landed on a beach nearby...can you see it?!!

Look what I found in town...

Livin' the good life...plenty of fish for this cat!!

Hiked in the woods with Ivana and her dogs...

we hiked....

and hiked....

for a mile and half...we're nearly there...

Ended our hike at Battery Point...beautiful view of Lynn Canal that goes up to Skagway

Ivana...the local girl and her dogs

and me... (Lynn Canal goes off to the right and the town of Haines is to the left)

this photo was taken on the other side where Ivana's father owns the town's only golf course...

That's it folks....be seeing ya'all after we land in Bellingham, WA

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 12:24 AM