User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #391
KJP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Umatilla weapons depot

those bunkers you saw were the storage depot for our Chemical weapons during the cold war. They are in the process of destroying them, not a place you want to linger . See the below link

http://www.cma.army.mil/umatilla.aspx

KJP screwed with this post 08-08-2009 at 04:52 PM
KJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #392
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP
those bunkers you saw were the storage depot for our Chemical weapons during the cold war. They are in the process of destroying them, not a place you want to linger . See the below link

http://www.cma.army.mil/umatilla.aspx
Thanks for the update...it is always nice to know what we were looking at when riding by at 65mph!
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #393
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Burley, ID -- Salt Lake City, Ut -- Moab, UT

After drying out all night...we hopped back on and took off for Salt Lake City early morning. Weather called for rain and rain it did!! Couldn't take any pictures until we hit a dry spot about 2 hours later...

the sun peeked out and the landscape began to change...

Not quite ready to shed our rain gear yet...

Rain clouds and downpour to our right....

Met ADVrider inmate Wngnut in Burley, ID...here are few pictures in addition to what he already posted. Nice fella....Elmer actually drooled over his workshop/machine shop... Here is a picture of his "ultimate-indestructible spindle" machined from a solid piece by Wngnut...

his tub...a work in progress

This is his machine shop (the workshop is next door)...the hack's white main frame is leaning against the wall on left side...

oh, men and their toys...don't they look happy?!!

I marveled at Wngnut's windvane innovation that was in his front yard...

Wngnut was able to get some ideas after seeing our hack...we were glad to meet him and bid him adieu. Back on the road again...mountains a-comin'...

boy do they truck them in 3's out west...this one never got to Whitehorse, Yukon!!

Salt Lake City, Utah we're not looking forward to getting back into urban sprawls...

ok, ok....here's a little treat!

Visited BMW of Salt Lake City this morning to see what's new....
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #394
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Majestic Moab...

Decided to treat ourselves to a 2-day excursion in Moab, UT Rode out to Arches National Park. Entry fee was $10.00 per person but if you get yourself a senior pass (if you are 62 or older) it's free. Entered the park sometime after 3:30pm...it was spectacular!

Couldn't resist taking this picture when passing through town on way to Moab...antler lover's paradise

would they miss it if I took one??

these were close to the road and they are HUGE...

Mountains cut out for road traffic...amazing!!

a sign of things to come...

ahhhh....something we haven't seen in a while, road construction but no "follow me" car...

Rode on Rt. 15 from SLC then took Rt. 191 to Moab...

almost there...

Town of Moab elevation is at 4,000 feet...

After checking in we rode to Arches National Park (at 5,000 + feet)...and here's what we viewed today...

the Skyline Arch...

at the Balanced Rock...

whoa....ok, don't mess with me

the Devil's Tower...

the South Window...

rear view...

a bit of information on how arches are formed...

clouds covered what could have been a glorious sunset against the majestic arches & canyons....this was the best shot I could get...

Tomorrow we will visit Canyonlands and Dead Horse National Park...til then.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #395
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
America the Beautiful!

Isn't America an amazing place? There is so much to see.....such beauty in natural formations.....
Thanks for posting those pictures....
I kept waiting for the Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote to come Beeping by...
koi
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #396
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Visiting another part of MOAB...CANYONLANDS...

We're in the spell of MOAB..Sharon's camera is "full"..eh.

It was the Canyonlands today at 5000+ feet and at a temperature of something like 65..humidity-25%. Have to come back and do many more park sites...

Here's another steady diet of MOAB and hope we don't bore you. America has so much to offer and we have you in mind....

ENJOY!!

See these trail head down below for Jeep roads, Atv..dirt bikes, etc which we tried later on...

Jeep roads...into the abyss

Largely due to a legacy of mining activity, thousands of miles of 4-wheeling, ATV trails exist in the Canyonlands area. A variety of scenery and a range of challenging trails offer the opportunity of countless days of exploration. We chose a trail that seemed to be dual sport bike/hack friendly and checked it out...

Testing the waters..!!!???(Terra Firma)..

Came to the conclusion that our heavy GS with Metzeler Tourances won't have the grip..need Karoo's...also on steep hills the Tourances simply dug deep groves. Sharon had to dismount in order to save weigh.

Was trying to find a turn-around..

Merde! Need a reverse gear on the GS...aarrggh

Actually rolled into this grove backwards as I could'nt grab the brakes in time. We were stuck; tried motoring out...wheel tug in deeper...OH, shit..another week in the desert..!!!
We both gave it a rear heave with all our aging might. Too busy heaving that we forgot to take photos of the mishap. Got the GS/Hack back on better surface and finally got them out. Whew....huff..puff....Need an URAL??

Back on track..

What would I have done without my Superwoman?

Tire deflators...

Got out and on to Dead Horse Point...

Dead Horse Point and curvature of the mighty Colorado...

This is some serious shooting....

Good Night & Cheers Amigos...tomorrow it's COLORADO and in search of mile high Starbucks???

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-09-2009 at 04:53 PM
Old 08-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #397
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Canyons!!

JUST.........FREAKING.......AWESOME!!!

gotta put that place on my bucket list.....takes my breath away!!!!
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #398
Mastercylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
It's nice to see you both enjoying your trip again.

Mastercylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 AM   #399
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Great story---Great pictures!!! keep them coming. I almost feel like I am actually on the trip!!

Ride safe out there...

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #400
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Colorado ?

May be a long shot, Lady Sharon and Sir Elmer, depending on your route, but if you're near Colorado Springs call in at Apex Sports. Proprietor Doyne Bruner is an avid sidecar enthusiast and I know he's been following your adventure. He'd be pleased to meet royalty.

By the way, the US is filled with some stunning natural beauty. It's a great pity that so many people don't realise it, including we reckon, many US citizens.
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #401
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,650
Cool2 Tire chains?

Might get you that extra little bit of traction when you need it.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #402
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Goodbye MOAB...until soon!!

We truly did not want to leave Moab...there are so much more to see & do!!
Sidecarjohn: True that it is unfortunate many of us (citizens) do not realize that USA is a beautiful country and there are so much to see and do! We saw a lot of foreigners traveling in our journey out west and quite few of them were in Moab!! We decided to take the southern route and headed for Durango (already traveled through Colorado Springs 2 years ago and didn't feel like getting anywhere near Denver).

Tony the tiger: ugh....carry chains?? nah, don't think we'll add any more weight to the sidecar! Elmer just need to effectively execute his route around those gulleys

Ok, here are some more pictures of awsome scenery...USA never ceases to amaze us...some more beautiful than others. We DON'T WANNA go home!!

Left Moab this morning taking in sights to be forever etched in our mind...until we return soon

what the heck?? desperate signs pointing to a restaurant & pub for those leaving MOAB

few miles out of MOAB...the scenery begins to change

we're in Colorado and smoke from forest fires fill the corridor on Rt 491 somewhere near Dove Creek. It's been a very dry summer out West and in Alaska...they all report shortage of rainfall.

Colorado mountains in sight...

Chic town...wouldn't mind living here!! Durango is famous for white water rafting, kayaking, canoeing and its fly fishing waters. It is also home to the annual summer Music in the Mountains festivals.

Main Street...

Elmer forever in search for his mile high Starbucks. Give this to him and he's a happy man...

They built large buildings in 1887!

reflections...

abandoned ranch...

Chimney Rock as seen from Rt. 160...

no snow in the rockies...

up up and away....this was taken at about 4,000 elevation

still going up...towards Hayden/Wolf Creek Pass. This was taken at 9,000 feet...

at the Continential Divide at Wolf Creek Pass....10,709 feet (Elmer must have been high on altitude as he didn't want to stop for me to take pictures)

nope...that's not snow you're looking at up there...it's just gravel, limestone, etc.

ok...we're comin' down the mountain...

went thru 2 tunnels...

more construction...

the end of dragonfly's life...

snow-free mountain

it never cease to amaze us seeing homes in the middle of nowhere...

ahhh....taking in the sight knowing we won't be seeing this for a while after today

arrived at Walsenburg, CO...not a very pretty town but yet surrounded by all this beautiful mountainous state!

Tomorrow is to historic Dodge City, KS.
Your Royal Couple on the road...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 09:17 PM
Old 08-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #403
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Making haste to kansas..

Hi all....

It took us about 2 days to finally get some good internet connections.
Finally made it out of Colorado....we were supposed to run along rt 160 from Walsenburg, CO to Dodge City, KS but somehow were misled by our malfunctioning GPS...ran along rt 350 instead from Trinidad, CO...Rt 350 is a neat isolated road until you get to the bigger towns...

Colorado Mtn's fading away.

A town in the middle of nowhere...

This is the TOWN....

Further down the stretch another long lonely ride until....

Again further down Rt 350.....

across the Commanche grasslands...

The Town of La Junta...

cattle pens in the heart of downtown La Junta...

Another stretch down Rt 350...

Pulled into Lamar, CO for lunch...

The squak box for the hearies....

Ain't field friendly for the deafies...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 08:32 PM
Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #404
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Kansas....

More lonely roads....to....Dodge City.....

If only trees could talk....

Before we saw Ingalls Feed Yard we noticed but missed taking picture of a sign that said.."Scenic Overlook"...with that in mind we pulled over...

and saw this....

We were told that 10,000 heads of cattle are slaughtered a day passing through Dodge City to the slaugther houses...

NO MO BEEF FOR ME...!!!

Taking a rest stop after seeing all those poor cattle gonna die...for a steak?

Grain towers all over Kansas...

Along this lonely dangerous stretch .....

we met this paraplegic guy and wondered what he's up to and where headed..?? Offered him water but he was well provisionned..

He under his arm power..rode from Virginia and is headed to Seattle, WA. What a human spirit..."riding for cancer.."

We're currently in Stilwell, KS doin' some R&R at our daughter Gina's home for a day or two before heading to Cincinnati to visit our son Leon, who has just come home from Iraq for a 2 week vacation before heading back.

The motorcycle has been purring along fine and so has the sidecar with the "fuggly" wheel..so far so good...reported our success to Jay at Dauntless

Cheers, Amigos until the next post...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 08:29 PM
Old 08-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #405
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
From the road

I'm glad you two finally checked in! I wasn't worried, but curious as to where you are, and what you're seeing.

Good news that the new part is holding up! It doesn't look like the roads are much of a challenge for it, though.

Surprising that your Zumo would go on the blink so close to its home in Olathe. I figured Garmin would have those roads mapped pretty well!

I forgot to tell you earlier. The night we met for dinner in Seattle was one of the most glorious night-rides I have enjoyed. It was a beautiful, full-moon perfect temperature, no-traffic slog to Olympia. I don't usually go out of my way to ride at night, but this showed me what I'm missing.

Continued safe journeys!

Olyrider
OlyRider is online now   Reply With Quote