Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #76
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Went to sleep last night in semi-bright sky...this was taken at 10:30pm!

Woke this morning to 40 degree weather...broke out our winter riding pants and put away summer pants til we work our way south. Brrrrrr....

As soon as we rode out of Prince George we could see a change in scenery.

Saw many trees that were blackened (from the great fire in BC - 2003??) and other places where trees were being lumbered....sad to see this destruction of beautiful forestry in BC! Shaun...thanks for the info. on Pine Bettle killing pines around BC/Canada...sad sad sad!!

291 km to Dawson Creek! Rt. 97 on this stretch were pretty sparse of cars/trucks/motorcycles...even cyclist!

oh...heavy mists and rain ahead!

yeah, those are raindrops!!!

Stopped in Bear Lake for break and put on our famous Wally Mart rain jacket.

Oh...a sign of things to come?!! Those are trash receptacle...in case you didn't know

Our first encounter of the Ursus Americanus. Yep...our first black bear sighting. He/she walked across the road slowly and we didn't want to linger for close up shots.

Gased up in Chetwynd which is famous for chain saw architecture

Bench made for me...

This used to be a grain tower now turned into a visitors center as well as local arts..

Proof's in the pudding..we wuz there!!!

Some history readin' for ya!

The famous hotel ya'all know....

The Alaska Hotel located on 10th Street just a few feet from the Mile Zero Post, is the oldest operating business in the community. In 1930, this hotel was known as the Dew Drop Inn Hotel with 6 rooms, a lobby and cafe. The Dawson Hotel located on the corner of 10th Street and Alaska Avenue was another popular Hotel in the 1940's. In 1943, a fire and explosion did extensive damage and it was rebuilt in the fall of 1943.

Lots of traffic on the road when I took this picture

Now....about Tim Horton...we thought the coffee was not too bad. Pretty much equal to our Dunkin' Donut in the states and we will be eating there mostly for breakfast. Their bagels n' eggs are pretty good, actually!! We are not big on eating french fries and will have our salads elsewhere...no offense Shaun!

Saw 3 cyclist biking, with 4 bags of stuff attached on their bicycles...must say we admire them for tackling their way through wherever they came from and wherever they're going! Missed getting photos as it was raining.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 06-30-2009 at 07:54 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #77
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Food a la BC.....

Just returned from dinner....Mikepa, Shaun and all others....eat this!!

this...

this too...

and this....

burrrrp!!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #78
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Curses!

Now you've done it....didn't get a warning on the food pics and guess what.....nailed me!!
Sitting here with stomach rumbling at 11:23 ravenously hungry for whatever the heck was in that chocolate covered substance tray that you entirely consumed.........I'm going to bed and suck on my thumb!! Darn diet anyway....I should have known better than to open a new report......this time of night.......
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #79
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Back
........Damned right, Bill,

There should be a warning posted

Before those Restaurant Pics. ..............

Not eating in Donut Shops today, I see!

(I really DO have to get a life!)
Okay, here's the deal, from now on if there is going to be food pictorals and gustatory adventures, the post should be preceded by the nomenclature,

NSFD

which translates to "Not Safe For Dieters" that way we can be forewarned and have our insulin and syringes ready to go when we read the food posts. Geeze, it's only fair!!!!

koifarm
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #80
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hummm...not only NSFD, with all that fresh air, beautiful scenery, and good eats---This post should be labeled---NSFACWBB!!!

"Not safe for armchair wannabe bikers"!!!!

Excellent ride report. I bet you have gotten a few people out there somewhere off their arse now!!! I bet a few are now planning a trip at this time!!!

I am having a great time reading this---please keep it up. I know this got to be alot of work on your part to keep us wannabes happy here in America suburbia!

Do you think that TAT will be as good as this??? My mind is turning here now...

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #81
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,453
Looking great so far!

I've got plans to get up that way someday, I'm envious!

Now back to:

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #82
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Happy Canada Day...

There was poor or non-existent internet connection at Toad River lodge even though we paid $78 Canadian for the cabin....So here we are a day late and a day ahead.

It was Canada Day when we left Dawson Creek under threathening skies, but first had to visit Uncle Tim...

Checked the oil after a 15 min cool down...eh, added about 200 mls..

So sprach Thor....!

Join us along the isolated roads...just gaze and imagine as far as the eye can see...

Chugging along at 110 km/h

We stopped at this outpost for some coffee...along route 97

Pulled over at this Sasquatch sightings store for some BC decal. There we met three guys on a 1200GS and Suzuki V-strom. One rider was from Australia others were from California. Swapped info and routes regarding Alaska. My Zumo GPS went on the fritz and refused to work. So this other guy in the yellow raingear happened to be a .Com guy. Reset it..so it's fixed??

Parted as new friends..exchanged e-mails...we're invited to Australia...woooo

Headed to a next gas station that was supposed to be there..It's a SHELL gas station as I was seeking a bit higher octane to improve my fuel mileage. Getting bad mpg with regular 86 octanes....somewhere between 24 - 26mpg. eeek!! Can't do the Dempster nor the Dalton Highway this way..Scheisse!!

"Oh S..t", closed and abandoned...no one lives there, except bears...maybe??!! dang..

Nice Log Cabin for the taking...free...?? Guess the SHELL man used to live there.

No worries, I came prepared..

Zooommmm...eh, skies are fallin'

Down as far as the eye could see we saw our first Moose #1. Slowed down to let them cross...

Then strutted Moose #2 step in step like a Lipizaner. Isn't she a beauty?

Thor has spoken...see snow way yonder in the mountains.

The skies opened up..torrential rains came down the size of grapes. Heavily impacted our helmet, rain gear and all. You could feel the rain buck shoot against your boots. No camera shots of these natural wonders. When it rains here it rains in torrents but they are, fortunately, short lived...it's different from mountain to mountain.

Typical construction delays...

Something of interest: when I was in Washington State, inmate Mikepa drove intentionally into a truck weigh station to find out what the weight of his small truck was. I didn't know that you could do that. Mike said that the citizens of Washington voiced that they pay taxes for such a thng and would like to be accessible and use it when it is closed. Most often when it is closed, the scale is still open for weighing. So, here in Fort Nelson, BC, I saw one and decided to find out of how much a road ballast we were.

That's us sitting on the bike fully loaded. We're 660 kilos(1,452#). Wooooo...
Friggin' heavy...Sharon says I need to lay off the carbs...hehe

One of many semi gravel/paved roads...

The mountains ain't far away...

my contribution to the environment..

Our first Caribou sighting...this is a young one

look at the color of the water!!!!

Toad River Lodge--where I couldn't get internet connected last night.

$78 Canadian Cabin, ain"t bad, especially, this day is our 30th anniversary....whoooo!!

But the view from the back window is this...

oh so true!!!

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 11:11 PM
Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #83
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Today's ride to Watson Lake...

Sharon's journal: The day started out with bit of showers and then rain off and on in spots and some heavy downpour. We've gotten used to the wet climate that we are pleasantly surprised when the sun shows itself in parts of the "Northwet." So far the Wally Mart rain jacket has held up pretty well for spotty rain and our pant is waterproof. The one-piece rainsuit we have is cumbersome to wear over our riding gear.

Even though most of the scenery is pretty much of the same but different in its unique form, shape and things that we see along the way.

Notice packed gravel (shale) road....they eat rubber!!

eat dust!

this Caribou was bigger than the first one we saw

The Aussie fella we met yesterday told us about this hole in the wall "G G" place we had to stop and eat. Decided to go there for breakfast as it was 35 km from where we left this am.

the cook was also tending to front desk servicing gas, campers, etc. We waited patiently for our breakfast...

and some breakfast he served... enuff for 4 people! we must have tipped the scale... (we couldn't eat all of it either)

ahhhh....beauty in it's natural form!

whoa...sign of things to come. There were several more of these signs down the road. Eyes open wide!!!

ahhhhh ha.....our first Bison sighting and boy, he was BIG

We heard about this hot springs at Liard River. The story goes that a bear did attack and killed a man who was at this hot springs.

long walk to the hot springs...I kept a bear lookout! See how far back Elmer is walking! heh

Looked tempting but it was raining and we didn't want to stick around

Heard of Bisons crossing the road....you gotta stop and keep your distance!!

Spotted many flowers along the grassy hillside.

Met this fella from Maryland...he rode up to the Artic Circle on the Dalton Highway.

Forest fires caused by lightening and burned over 3,000 acres a month ago.

We're here now! yaaaaay

Elmer went straight to work on changing the rear tire.

Can you tell which is new and which is old??

Dyna beads Elmer swears by....no need to balance the tire.

applying soap solution for ease of mounting

ugh.....

double ugh....

I do have my mini 12v airpump that you use while the bike runs, but it takes some good filling time. So asked the kind owner if he had a compressor handy....

almost done...

all done!!

yikes....we didn't realize how worn down it was until we saw this

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 08:50 PM
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #84
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Get Up And.....Gone!

.......Absolutely Fabulous, glued to the Computer!

Ahh, Toad River Lodge.......'member gitting there
late at night, helping ourselves to a room, and paying
on trust in the morning!

....You Guys!! Toad is 400-plus miles from
Dawson Creek, for Kryssake...............

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #85
Square4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
And how many miles did you get on that rear tire?

Square4
Square4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #86
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Air Force Lodge, Watson Lake, YUKON...

This is the cleanest Lodge we've ever been to. No wonder the proprietor is German. It is a renovated Royal Canadian Air Force(RCAF Hut #30), 1942 Pilot Quarters. It's left as is. Simple rooms. Communal showers and bathrooms...of course separated for sexes. College dormitory like, small simple efficient rooms with TV and good WiFi coverage and at a price one can afford....

Just like it was and reminds me of my school days..

Went for a tire testing ride and a bite to eat....Boommmm we're getting hit with a hail storm the size of peas..

It's off to WHITEHORSE tomorrow for a self oil change. Will try to find some Mobil 1 at Wally Mart or Canadian tire. Buy a small turkey pan and do the change.

Cheers...from the YUKON where it's still bright at 2300 hrs...aaarrrggghh, can't sleep.....
Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #87
Dr Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Since you already can't sleep - if you come back through Seattle, shoot us a PM & we'll treat you to a cuppa home-roast (current blend is El Salvador Miel, Sumatran Rhino, with a touch of Ethiopian Sidamo) infused through this old-timer:

A '50's Conti single group lever-action commercial machine updated with a modern temperature controller, which makes Doppio shots like this:

The blessed crema damn near crawls out of the cup ....

Cheers

Jim
Dr Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #88
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Hi SQUARE4...

4100 miles or about 6500 km...not too bad for a 660 kilo loaded rig. My front tire carries 36 psi while the rear is 42 psi. Seems to work, but I noticed that beginning to ride on the northern BC and Yukon roads where lots of road material is shale which wears them faster. Next time I'll be car tires on the GS. The front I believe has about 1500 miles left while the sidecar which also sports the same interchangeable wheel/tire has hardly gone down.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #89
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

DR. JIM..

YES, will PM you when we hit Seattle again on our way to the lower 48, he,he! Missed you guys last time for a greasy breakfast.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #90
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Whew!!!!
Your patience and brought ur spare tires paid off! The rear tire looks more than eagle bald head. Jeez! Aren't you looking for the Ice Truck Drivers soon ???
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote