User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #91
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,269
Have a sidecar bearing dilema...

Am stranded in Carmacks, YUKON with another... AGAIN sidecar bearing failure. Thought that it was fixed....stay tuned.......

Also no good internet for downloading....

Cheers
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #92
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Hey Thanks!!

Keeping up with yawl is a Hoot! Love your posts and pictures are wonderful.....sorry about your mechanics troubles but at least you can roll with the punches and get it fixed.....
Looking forward to the next series....
koifarm
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:26 AM   #93
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Am stranded in Carmacks, YUKON with another... AGAIN sidecar bearing failure. Thought that it was fixed....stay tuned.......

Also no good internet for downloading....

Cheers

Sounds familar to me. I had to have my spindle re-machined to prevent the inner bearing race from spinning on the shaft, which cuts a groove into the shaft, causing more looseness, then bearing failure. I got 5k on each of two bearing/spindle setups from them, before I finally had it fixed by a local machinist.

Good luck gettring it repaired, it's a standard 1" tapered roller trailer bearing that is used in there, should be available nearly anywhere. You may be able to get back on the road if you can get ahold of a couple # L44643 bearings. (put it back together, not too tight, and hope that you don't have rub issues with the sidecar wheel/brake/fender.

MZcountryboy screwed with this post 07-05-2009 at 04:53 AM
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #94
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a picture of the spindle/bearing arrangement. The outer bearing races mount in the end of the swingarm of the sidecar. Hope this helps you get back on the road.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #95
Mangoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hola from PA

We are finally somewhat settled in new home and back on-line. Checking on you guys and find that you are stranded in the Yukon. Geeezzz!!! We know that you will get it sorted out though and be back on the road in no time. Kind of like cruising....fixing stuff in exotic places!! But, you've made it to the Yukon. Your pictures are fabulous, and it looks like you are having an awesome experience. Scenery looks spectacular, awesome wildlife, meeting lots of interesting people . . . Wow! We dream of following in your footsteps one of these days, though probably not on a motorcycle.....yes, we are ninnys!!! Good luck with your repairs, and we look forward to more posts. You guys are awesome. Love and hugs, the Mangoes
Mangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #96
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 275
Wheel-Bearing Update

.....Update, as far as I can determine:

Looks like the intrepid couple have got a temporary fix at the Carmacks service station, (grease packed in the bearing and cap) and are on their way back to Whitehorse (180km!) for repairs.

Just FYI, and all I can determine from my contacts in the Yukon. Fingers Crossed!

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #97
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,347
Elmer, please don't take this the wrong way. Just couldn't resist.
click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmBtjoqXfM

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #98
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Aha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
Elmer, please don't take this the wrong way. Just couldn't resist.
click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmBtjoqXfM
Someone was watching "The World's Fastest Indian!"
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #99
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Watson Lake cont...

Rose in the early cold AM...Prepped the bike...said Good-byes to fellow riders and started to hit the road to Whitehorse, but before leaving town we had to leave our mark here for us and all Americans who pass through this sign Forest.

Sign Forest. The story goes when a young US Army GI who was involved in building the Alaska Highway grew homesick and decided to build a post with a sign directing it to his hometown. Others followed suit and to this day thousands and thousands have and are still posting any sign of their hometown, origin, or just souvenirs. The town is diligently staking more posts to feel the need for others to post.

Sharon lost among the signs..

A good old country breakfast in Rancheria, YK on the Alaska Highway #1

Gasing up with 87 octane...ggrrr....fuel mileage sucks with this thin gas...

Ak Highway sans RV's

Lo and behold a lone cyclist trekking the AK highway....maybe well do this next...how about you Mangoes slow enough for you?

The roads leads on......

Old 07-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #100
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Alaska Highway #1....

Crossed the picturesque Teslin River bridge...

Gased up and met this Czechoslovakian(Czech Republic for you PC Americans) couple on a brand spanking new 1200 GS. They were riding 2-up. Had the bike shipped, on the plane, from there to Vancouver, BC.

After he passed me some where before Teslin on a straightway...I think he rode a la Autobahn at something like 180 km/h....woooooo...weeeee...

Told him later that there are a lot of divoká zvířata and RCMP about. Humph..he replied.."me tourist"..., eh!!!

Another omnious front coming our way before WhiteHorse...

Made it to WhiteHorse...gased up the bike and fueled ourselves at Starbucks!! and headed for Carmacks. Sharon says it was only 160 km more after riding 436 km...eh. She wanted to get closer to Dawson City.

Well, you see daylight stays daylight till about 2330 hours before the sun just dips a bit...

Tragedy of a 1998 Forest fire...

Braeburn Elk Herd crossings..didn't see any Elks...

Got so excited to be coming to rest in Carmacks...but......

No offense to our Canadian friends, we have our own problems in the US regarding the unfortunates. Carmacks was an absolute dump. Drunkeness was rampant among the natives. Not their fault...it's your welfare systems just like ours..gov't handouts..suppression of the native peoples, just like ours regarding our American Indians....

While trying to rectify some wobble on the sidecar bearing I was surrounded by drunken, drug dazed individuals that offered their hands in good gesture and I returned in kind. Within the handshake I winched in pain as the individual squeezed my hand in a visegrip like fashion. He was obviously dazed and didn't realize his strength. Quickly I withdrew and made sure that Sharon wouldn't do the same. I was then completely surrounded again by another fellow..who just babbled away. We both felt a bit insecure and totally stripped the bike of everything that could be snatched for sale.

Likewise were we told by the Hotel proprietor to remove all items. We passed this along to the Czech Republic couple and another trio of HD riders.

Bearing ist kaput!!

Best re-course is to reroute to Whitehorse...which we did and where we are right now. Alas, Dawson City's Sour Toe cocktail must wait....

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-19-2009 at 01:10 PM
Old 07-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #101
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Thumb Sidecar misadventure...!!!???

First of all many thanks for your support and pictorials from: MzCountryboy; Litewait; Claude( ...I'll try this emergency contraption --it is nowin my emergency kit,); Koifarm; Getback and Deafpopeye...

As you all know it is inappropriate and not of good taste to post the actual and specific problem. I have no intention to defame or anger the manufacturer nor hurt his business. Motorcycling and sidecaring has its good side and bad side. It's actually an inexact science. It's all part of the Adventure although sometimes inconvenient. Parts are on the way, like anything else. We're currently staying in a motel in WhiteHorse for a few day until parts arrive.

Those who would like for me to be more specific I would be happy to PM you the specifics provided that the conversation remains private and nothing goes further from there. Thank you...

Here are some of the scenes..we literally camped on the parking lot Of Canadian Tire. The ground was warm form the sun...had hordes of well wishers...helpers....suggestions makers...came with good cheer and suppport our adventures.

Sharon leaves the men to do their crazy things...keeping herself entertained with a book. First time she ever sat down on a parking lot and read a book...attta Girl..

Met this ADVrider guy Andy from Cincinnati, OH on his 1150 GS who was heading to the Great White North. He wanted to hang around and offer some moral support but we told him that it would take all day...so gave him some tips about Carmack and the wildlife caution.

Seven hours were spent trying to fix the thing, being driven around by a good Samaritan who happens to work at an RV/boat/trailer depot and knew all about bearings, etc. He tried but most mechanics here do not work on Saturdays and he could get little help due to shop closure. Then we agreed to agree that parts must be ordered from the US. We put back the defective part packed it with grease to the hilt and limped to a motel within a mile.

By the way, To all of our US friends; Happy Fourth of July. We drink and eat to you....

Beer worth freezing for. WhiteHorses own finest: Yukon Gold ...

Real local Yukon Salmon..

Bison Steak...for the grease monkey

Complimented with Bumble Pie. Look at the size..friggin' large as Sharons hand....ate the whole damn thing.........

Cheers....and Happy 4th of July again...

It's 2337 hours as I write this post and the Sun is till there. Got to use my eye blinds....

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-05-2009 at 08:22 AM
Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #102
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Hoping the parts express is headed your way! Happy July 4!

Old 07-05-2009, 04:09 AM   #103
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
You know it's been a tough day of adventuring when you're double fistin' it!

"I'll have two beers, please."

You're a good sport, Sharon! Keep up the smiles!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #104
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I'm sure this is a PITA when you're trying to get miles under your belt and having to deal with a "part" that have carried millions of cars, motorcycles and trucks around the world with few breakdowns!!!

But on the good side---you built the hack and you know every part, you are mechanical with a mind of an engineer and have the tools too. You're among friends, Sharon is with you and you are surrounded by beauty and access to good food and you are never too far from a overnight drop off station anywhere in North America. (the last point (overnight drop) was made made by gentleman who was traveling in an old car across the US and to and from Alaska!) The part about never being ever too far from an overnight drop off point was an eye opener for me...

So, in sum---
Fixable?--check
got the "know how"?---check
getting part?---check
got great food?--check
more importantly--got beer?---yup, check that too...

So life is good!!!
This is a great RR...

If you ever need anything shipped, put me down on your list...

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #105
Wngnut
Machinist Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 214
I'm really enjoying this thread. Sorry you are having troubles. But at least your not stuck out in the middle of nowhere I'm sure you'll get the new parts soon enough. If you were here, I'd Whip out a new axle for you here in my home shop and have you back on the road again. Not before having some dutch oven Peach cobbler though

The pictures are awesome!!! Can't wait for more
Wngnut is offline   Reply With Quote