User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #106
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Shit happened but!!!!!
Am I mistaken that Sharon was reading sidecar manual shop book for you to speed up your sweaty work? But teamwork and help from others sure are blessing. Yukon and Alaska are not becoming very remote nowadays. You shall be fine once you receive new part(s) before too long, maybe a spare m/c/s?? Look bright as hardly sundown.
Spinach Power!
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #107
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Possible solution!

I was reading your most recent report and looking at the piece of Bumble Pie when suddenly it all became clear.
My theory is now that your problems with the sidecar bearings is (and Please don't take offense Sharon) entirely due to an overloading situation!
I recalled one of your previous posts where you drove across a truck scale and were amazed at the weight you were pulling, and further research indicated that according to the caloric index of the total of all the meals that you so carefully posted pictures of would result in a weight gain of at least 100 kilos between the two of you.
Now I'm just being objective and tempered with the knowledge that neither of you appear to have gained weight but you are well into your trip and it is only of late that you are having bearing, or something, problems.
I don't know Claude, what is your opinion on that ?
Please bear in mind now, it's just a theory......and not in any way disparaging to either of your eating habits, but.....it's a thought.....
koi.

koifarm screwed with this post 07-05-2009 at 12:11 PM
koifarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #108
pennymiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Happy Birthday American even though you are not in it. A short trivia for you to keep you occupied while waiting for parts. How old is America?

I am very sorry to read about the much inconvenient predicament you are in with the bearinigs! I am surprised that those bearing got kaput in a relatively short time. I hope it is just an unusual defect.

I know you guys goota keep your chins up and bear the grunt of it.

I hope you will consider or did ordered two pairs in case one pair goes kaput again, didn't you?

Those pixes are magnificent and are making me all the more envious as the miles go by!!

Take care!!
pennymiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #109
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
Yo Pennymiler... the USA is 233 years old, right...pretty good for a Teutonic wisehead to know. So for you how old is Germany or Europe..hey don't google it, eh. We're fine and are awaiting parts. They either have it or have to machine it..grrrr...so more Yukon Pale ales here.

Cheers,,,
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #110
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondachopper
I'm sure this is a PITA when you're trying to get miles under your belt and having to deal with a "part" that have carried millions of cars, motorcycles and trucks around the world with few breakdowns!!!

But on the good side---you built the hack and you know every part, you are mechanical with a mind of an engineer and have the tools too. You're among friends, Sharon is with you and you are surrounded by beauty and access to good food and you are never too far from a overnight drop off station anywhere in North America. (the last point (overnight drop) was made made by gentleman who was traveling in an old car across the US and to and from Alaska!) The part about never being ever too far from an overnight drop off point was an eye opener for me...

So, in sum---
Fixable?--check
got the "know how"?---check
getting part?---check
got great food?--check
more importantly--got beer?---yup, check that too...

So life is good!!!
This is a great RR...

If you ever need anything shipped, put me down on your list...

Tom
Hi Hondachopper...thanks for the encouragement. I need it....I don't want to miss this great balmy weather here this far north. That's why I am bit irritated to have a simple $12.00 part breakdown that ruined an entire hub and spindle..ah..well. Goes with the adventure. Gold Rush Yukoners had it worse in their heydays..so I shouldn't complain. It's the USA thing in me??

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-19-2009 at 01:15 PM
Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #111
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Oddometer: 278
Among My Punny Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
the USA is 233 years old, right...
...Visiting S.Dakota in 1976.....

.....this guy was being sold as:
Bison-tennial !

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
Do It For Thysen'
Get Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #112
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

For your Entertainement...while stuck in WHITEHORSE

Bound in wonderful & warm WhiteHorse and the local eateries carry a good price even though the Dollar is supreme($1.00 Canadian=$1.05 US). We are carefull not to blow our bike budget..so here was a toss up between Uncle Tim and Moby Dick's Starbucks

Uncle Tim won this morning..but the coffee wasn't that good..So its back to Starbucks at triple the cost...

Strolled into Town and came upon this statue of the Natives...

This is my interpretation even though not intented..
They look sad and are confined by white society... however, the plaque by the statue read "Thinker"

Here's an unusual story that's displayed in the Lobby of this Hotel.
Two massive Moose fought for superiority of the herd and became totally entangled with their horns locked together...died together a cruel death...starved together.

Locked horns on display...

White Pass/ Yukon Route Railroad station...

Typical Mountain Wilderness Log Cabin. Note grass growing on the roofs, serves as insulation from the brutal winters here...

Another upper class Log Cabin.. also note the large slab of copper ore ever found (pictured to the left of the cabin)...

After posting this we got hungry...

Vietnamese Special Pho of the house... hey Koifarm, hope you like this picture :-)

Then met these nice hilarious HD guys that we had met somewhere south of Watson Lake, BC. Finally met them again as one of their riders needed a bike part. They're staying at the same biker friendly Hotel here

I am ending this with a cool Good Night & pleasant dreams...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-06-2009 at 10:08 AM
Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #113
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by koifarm
I was reading your most recent report and looking at the piece of Bumble Pie when suddenly it all became clear.
My theory is now that your problems with the sidecar bearings is (and Please don't take offense Sharon) entirely due to an overloading situation!
I recalled one of your previous posts where you drove across a truck scale and were amazed at the weight you were pulling, and further research indicated that according to the caloric index of the total of all the meals that you so carefully posted pictures of would result in a weight gain of at least 100 kilos between the two of you.
Now I'm just being objective and tempered with the knowledge that neither of you appear to have gained weight but you are well into your trip and it is only of late that you are having bearing, or something, problems.
I don't know Claude, what is your opinion on that ?
Please bear in mind now, it's just a theory......and not in any way disparaging to either of your eating habits, but.....it's a thought.....
koi.
Hi Koifarm! Actually, Elmer is carrying an extra tire....around his waistline. but really, I think we both have lost a few lbs...since we don't snack much during the day while riding--eating a good breakfast in the morning and little else until dinner. Walking around town has also helped trim our waistline since leaving home. Got to say your theory carries no weight but we do need to lay off the beer
Old 07-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #114
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Hi Koifarm! Actually, Elmer is carrying an extra tire....around his waistline. but really, I think we both have lost a few lbs...since we don't snack much during the day while riding--eating a good breakfast in the morning and little else until dinner. Walking around town has also helped trim our waistline since leaving home. Got to say your theory carries no weight but we do need to lay off the beer
It's all fun Sharon, just had to nudge, nudge, wink, wink you two.....actually I enjoy the gastronomic interludes, a nice counterpart to the rigors of the road.
Have to say the scenery is amazing, and the story of the two moose, really cool that they still have the actual antlers there. The copper nugget was incredible, there is a big copper deposit in the U.P. of Michigan, one of the earliest mining industries areas. Unbelievable story of how they got that thing out of there....back when men were men and the women were glad of it!
Thanks so much for your posts, you two are great!!!

koifarm
Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #115
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

[quote=koifarm]It's all fun Sharon, just had to nudge, nudge, wink, wink you two.....actually I enjoy the gastronomic interludes, a nice counterpart to the rigors of the road

Koifarm....it sure is fun and we're having a blast reading comments from everyone here. It makes our ride more interesting as we want to share everything we experience along the way....including breakdowns and negatives as well as the positives. Thanks for hanging in there with us...we look forward to comments from everyone...even one liners or an icon or two! Keep em coming!!! -Sharon
Old 07-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #116
Get Back
Molesworth 2

Entrepreneurship

[quote]..........even though the dollar is supreme
($1.00 Canadian = $1.05 US) [quote]

.......This morning's stock quote:

$1.00 USD = $1.16 CAD

$1.00 CAD = $0.86 USD

......as with everything else, even money is expensive
in the North Country.

( be interesting, would it not, to spend a few CAD
in Alaska, and see if the US merchants pull the same
trick in reverse? )

Do It For Thysen'

Get Back screwed with this post 07-06-2009 at 11:41 AM
Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #117
Get Back
Molesworth 2

We Can't have you drinking bad coffee!

[Quote]Uncle Tim won this morning..but the coffee wasn't that good..So its back to Starbucks at triple the cost...[Quote]

.....Customer Service have been informed

Do It For Thysen'
Old 07-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #118
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Java Jive!

Isn't there some kind of a hookup for a cappuccino machine in the Uberhack? Looks like you have just about everything else in there somewhere... Funny to find Vietnamese food up thataway, is there an Asian community in the town?
The scenery is incomparable, mountains must be magnificent in person, awe inspiring for sure I'd bet the pictures don't do them justice, no doubt it fills the heart and soul with magic.

koi
Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #119
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

For Your Entertainement...episode II

All kinds of 2 wheeled contraptions roll on the Alcan??

We noticed that all buildings: Hotels. motels..business centers, apartments are straight up and square. They're built this way to withstand the brutal winters here where good insulation is tantamount to preserving central heat in the center of the building. There are no front door room parking motels.

First Nation carved Totem Pole

The mighty Yukon River....

Inmate BOZOLA identified this bird. It's an Arctic Tern(Sterna paradisaea)...thanks Bozola

Also the mighty SS Klondike as well which plowed the Yukon in its heydays..

Skyscraper Log Cabin...built in 1947 with 53 logs

30# parts are on the way via UPS..unfortunately it won't arrive till Friday via Pony Express..aarrgghh..

Cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-06-2009 at 09:45 PM
Old 07-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #120
Bozola
Complete Bastard

Oddometer: 418
That's a nice photo of an Arctic Tern (Sterna paradisaea).

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote