Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #16
CORNFEDJ
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Man great reading guys. Its cool that you keep the updates coming so we can follow along. One question though, how much cargo room on Tims bike is jammed with Junior Mints?
CORNFEDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Subscribed! Looking forward to following along. Good luck!

Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #18
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 891
if you get to newfoundland canada look me up...pm me for contact info...i can even take you guys on a xross country route that is very nice and it has the best tasting burger in the world!...
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
mc_lucky!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Looking forward for the deeper russia reports. Safe journey!
mc_lucky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #20
mc_lucky!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Do you use public internet access (in motels, internet caffee's and similar), or cellphone for submiting posts?
mc_lucky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #21
IrwinF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hellou 2 U all.
Nice ride & route, and I just want to say that I am very proud about your companion Petar who is also from Croatia, as I am . Here In Croatia all the motorcycle population is about his trip, and we already heard aout U 2. We will have a in that name.

Have a safe and pleasant journey, God bless You, .
Old 08-02-2009, 05:13 AM   #22
picoda
Dalmatia

Oddometer: 221
Like IrwinF said, we in Croatia heard about your journey from our friend Petar who's trawel with you guys one part of his RTW trip.

Say hallo to Petar and good luck guys!
picoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #23
wolf359 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
sorry for the lack of some updates, but the internet here blows.

Petar is watching me type this in the lobby of the hotel because the wi-fi they advertise on the door of the hotel, only works in the lobby.

So I took my shoes off, let them smell those after 5 days on the road. I bet the internet works tomorrow.

Will update more when we get better internet. Fun things have been happening, we met some other bikers (including Advrider Doug on his Harley Chopper going the other way)

Tim
www.terranovaexpedition.ca
wolf359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #24
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,554
Hey Tim
it was nice to meet you guys the other day, I wish it had been later in the day, as it woulda been nice to spend an evening bullshitting with some english speakers! I havent had anyone to talk to in quite awhile!
anyhow, safe travels, & let me know if you have problems. Did you find a master link in Ulan Ude?
I made it to chita that nite, that was a long damn day!

tell Cory & Petar hi!

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #25
wolf359 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug
Hey Tim
it was nice to meet you guys the other day, I wish it had been later in the day, as it woulda been nice to spend an evening bullshitting with some english speakers! I havent had anyone to talk to in quite awhile!
anyhow, safe travels, & let me know if you have problems. Did you find a master link in Ulan Ude?
I made it to chita that nite, that was a long damn day!

tell Cory & Petar hi!

Doug
Hey Doug,

Great to hear you made it. Was great meeting you too...

We got a 525 master link from Steve and Eric, to Brits who are behind you by less than a day. We had lunch with them a couple hours after meeting you.

Good luck on the train. We're off to Mongolia tomorrow (visited Baikal today and yesterday)

P.S. Thanks huge for "polnoy". It's magic, it makes the Babushka in the box happy!!!! :)
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #26
IrwinF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hey people,
As I have read on our croatian motorcycle forum where Petar sends the posts about his RTW trip, Cory has had an accident . (http://img269.imageshack.us/i/dscf1655l.jpg/) & (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/dscf1665t.jpg/)

May God help You to repair it as soon as possible and continue this awesome trip.
+ PAX

IrwinF screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 03:39 AM
IrwinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #27
wolf359 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrwinF
Hey people,
As I have read on our croatian motorcycle forum where Petar sends the posts about his RTW trip, Cory has had an accident . (http://img269.imageshack.us/i/dscf1655l.jpg/) & (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/dscf1665t.jpg/)

May God help You to repair it as soon as possible and continue this awesome trip.
+ PAX
He came off on a corner in the rain. He's ok, not even a scratch. The bike flipped and landed on the top, wrecked the instrument cluster and the beak. The bike runs fine. We bought tools and some supplies (duct tape, bailing wire etc.) yesterday, and he will be stitching it back together today. We need to get the headlight working.

It's not a showstopper.

Tim
Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #28
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,291
I have a bunch of pics on my laptop but there is rarely wireless and they get really pissy if you unplug the desk top and use the internet cable with your laptop (At a post office in inner Mongolia right now, currently arguing with the bitchy post office worker about the laptop as I type).

I have a Russian laptop (and 80 key keyboard) and haven't figured out a few punctuation marks yet so expect a lot of typos and lack of punctuation!

You can see the trip so far on our site. I will try to dump a ton of pics here as soon as I can.

Issues so far:
2009 F800GS
3 (!) broken chain links on the stock chain (4000miles). Adjusted and lubed every morning and have had nothing but issues with it. No luck finding a 525 chain in eastern Russia. Had one flown into Ulan Baatar. D.I.D. now, hopefully it's better. Before someone askes, yes I had a spare chain and masters with me. I went into the dealership I bought the bike from and asked for a spare chain and masters for a 2009 F800GS and they gave me a 520....I didn't notice until I was on the side of the road 600km east of Chita. A pretty shitty feeling looking at your broken bike and what was supposed to be your spare parts and realizing that they are usless. A Russian guy appeared and in a few hours had fabbed me a new master out of 520 side plates and misc bits and pieces of other things. Held 2500km and was still holding until 2 more links broke. The side plates keep popping.

Stock F800 battery took a dump 100km east of Ulan Ude. Put a crappy Russian one in that didn't have enough power to start the bike but did kep it running once started. Got to Ulan Ude and found a great parts store (think Harbour Frieght, Princess Auto, a camping store, motor cycle dealer ship and auto wrecker all rolled into one). They had rebuild motors and diffs, turbos, fenders, tents ,bike parts, hot girls, wrenches, bolts etc. AWESOME! Found a 9ah battery that fit (the biggest sealed one I could find). BMW specs a 14ah but I couldn't find one. There were unsealed 14ah but they leak acid when postioned anywhere but upright and of course that's not an option on a bike. The crappy one I bought to get me to Ulan Ude wasn't sealed and leaked acid all down the back of the motor...made a mess.

Michelin Deserts and wet pavement, not a good combo! Came off in a corner at about 50mph. So slippery that the 80ft I slid on the pavement only wore a 2inch hole in my rain coat(and shredded my rain pants). Not injuried at all. Bike has lots of cosmetic damage but is OK. Running with the Zumo for my fuel gauge and speedo as my gauge cluster is smashed!

Got to run. Will post pics asap~

Cory
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #29
wolf359 OP
Adventurer

some pics...
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 AM   #30
wolf359 OP