Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 03:08 AM   #46
Blue88
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Tim & Cory .. a great adventure, sorry that I didn't find the ADV Rider thread until now. Breakfast at the Ace Cafe on me when you get to the UK.
All the best lads ... ride safe ... more smiles than miles
Blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #47
ziarn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Great RR, I subscribed. PM send to you because your email doesn't work.

ziarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #48
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Great adventure!
Salute to Petar, Tim & Cory
Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #49
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,702
F800 Q&A time

Congratulations on your journey! I enjoyed reading all about your trials and tribulations.

Having a few friends that have traveled the same areas it's interesting to see the consistencies in story telling. Mosquitoes, road conditions, beautiful scenery and interesting people.

So being a F800 rider it's great to see the bike out doing the things that it is designed for. As many of us that are on F800's haven't had the chance to put it to the trails, I would like to open a line of questioning about your experiences during your journey.

The first thing that i noticed about your bike is that you did this journey with the stock fuel tank and carried spare fuel on your peg carriers.
Q: Did you ever find fuel a problem on your journey? If you were to do it again would you spend $$$ on a larger fuel tank?

On your modifications list for your 800 you don't mention anything about your seat.
Q: Did you ride around the world on the stock seat? and if so, are you crazy?

Aside from the crash, you listed some things that broke during your trip; (e.g. battery, side stand, chain).
Q: Did you find anything on the bike that failed which has raised concern? (e.g. frame, wheels, suspension)
Q: Now that you are at the end of your journey is there anything thing that you would do to the bike if you were to do this journey again?
(e.g. frame re-enforcement, different wheels)

Tim was riding the 1200GSA
Q: Given that the 800 is lighter than the 1200 and has a different suspension, did you notice a capability difference between he bikes when it came to off road and on pavement?

Q: If you were to do the trip again would you ride the 800 or on something different?

Thanks ahead for your time.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #50
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Illegal
Great adventure!
Salute to Petar, Tim & Cory
Thanks! Unfortunately Petar is still stuck in Astrakan, Russia waiting on parts for his bike after his big crash! As of few days ago his new wheel and forks were being held at customs in Moscow for some unknown reason. Hopefully he's managed to keep himself entertained...spending 15 days (and counting) in a hotel by yourself doesn't sound like a ton of fun With any luck he will be up and running and on his way back to Croatia in the next few days

Tim and I are in Austria now. We spent last night in Munchen and went to Oktoberfest. This morning we toured the BMW Museum and Welt across the street....WOW! There is ton of money tied up in those buildings We were a bit disappointed at how few bikes were on display I know that Motorrad is a very small division of the company but the bike didn't seem to get much play (maybe I'm bias).

Off to Switzerland tomorrow then France. Our original plan was to fly from London to the east coast of Canada then ride across the country home but we're a bit late in the season for that. The revised plan is to ship to Florida then ride west to California. UFC 104 is in L.A. on Oct 24 and Tim and I are both huge fans. A couple friends from home will be meeting us in LA. After UFC we will be off to Disneyland then a few days in Vegas. We'll head northwest to the pacific coast then up though Portland, Seattle and finally Vancouver which will complete out RTW loop. There will almost certainly be snow through British Columbia in November so we probably won't be able to ride back to Calgary... although snow, studded tires and high altitude Canadian mountain passes in November would make for some great pics and video
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #51
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Q: Did you ever find fuel a problem on your journey? If you were to do it again would you spend $$$ on a larger fuel tank?

The only larger tank that was available was the Tourtech and it is huge money. It only adds 8litres which is what the larger PegPacker is. The PP was only $110 and the TT was almost $2000. We ran into a guy from the UK with a 660XT Yamaha. He had an 8 liter tank fabbed out of aluminium and it mounted under the rear subfame on the opposite side of the muffler. I will likely do something like that for the next trip. The PP worked well but on several occasions I was hitting the back of my legs on them. I had a fear of getting my leg caught under one of them and breaking something.

The longest stretch without fuel was 550km which was just under my range with the extra 8 litre can. The thing with Russia and Mongolia fuel is this: there is usually a fuel station every 200-300km BUT that doesn't mean they have fuel! They will almost always have diesel and usually have 80 octane but 92 can be challenging at times. I would have run 80 if I needed but I was able to use 92 the whole way through.

On your modifications list for your 800 you don't mention anything about your seat.
Q: Did you ride around the world on the stock seat? and if so, are you crazy?

The list of mods was put together a month or so before we left. There were a lot of things added to the bikes that didn't get put on the list. I agree, that stock seat sucks! I bought an Airhawk but found it slid down the seat due to the slope. I pulled the seat cover off, dished the foam and re-stapled the cover. After that the Airhawk stayed where it was supposed to. The mounting strap locations on the cushion are very weak and the loops ripped off within a few days, it's held on with wire now ; )

Q: Did you find anything on the bike that failed which has raised concern? (e.g. frame, wheels, suspension)

Aside from the side stand, the bike was great! That stand is a huge POS and needs to addressed ( I understand there is a revised BMW part now available). The chain and battery pissed me off. A new bike should not need a new chain and battery at less than 7000km! Tim's stock battery bite it just before we left (10,000km). I have seen and heard lots of ppl with beemer battery issues. I would suggest anyone that is planning a big trip to replace the battery before hand. Someone told me to do the same but when we left I only had 2700km and thought a new battery would be a waste of money...oops!

The chain broke 3 side plates which makes me think there was a defective run of plates. I haven't seen anyone else post about chain issues so I'll assume mine was a freak thing. My DID chain has 15,000km on it and believe me Mongolia is not easy on parts! I would take a complete spare aftermarket chain if you're heading too far off the beaten path.

I made a mess of my front rim in Mongolia and Kazakhstan. I can't say the rims are weak or soft, more like the roads are brutal! The washboard in Mongolia was so bad I aired my tires down which smoothed the ride but also made the rims more
susceptible to damage. The stock rims were good for 90% of the trip. That been said, when I replace my damaged front rim it will be with a Excel hoop. If we do another trip I will upgrade the rear too.

Q: Now that you are at the end of your journey is there anything thing that you would do to the bike if you were to do this journey again?
(e.g. frame re-enforcement, different wheels)

I will be looking at a Sargent Seat.l The AirHawk is good but I think there maybe a better option. The windscreen sucks! I tried the Tourtech touring screen, the big BMW aftermarket one, the Metal Mule and the Calsci and none of them were much better than the stocker. The new TourTech Desierto 3 looks interesting but is $900. In the "Lets see your touring screen" thread there is a guy that used the Madstad RoboBrackets to make his own adjustable shield, it looks good! I think I'll try something similar. The Hepco Becker pannier racks are garbage and will be replaced as soon as I'm home. They are weak and flex like crazy. The Caribou/Pelican boxes are amazingly tough! I had 2 big crashes that would have destroyed aluminum panniers and the Pelicans were unscathed. Of all the mods on the bike, the cases get the biggest thumbs up!

Tim was riding the 1200GSA
Q: Given that the 800 is lighter than the 1200 and has a different suspension, did you notice a capability difference between he bikes when it came to off road and on pavement?

Tough to say as we didn't swap bikes during the trip. Tim's Elka suspended bike seemed to be working better on the washboard. Fully loaded my suspension was a bit soft but not awful. Keep in mind this is my first enduro so for all I know it is the worst suspension to ever be installed under a bike! I wouldn't have an issue doing the same trip with the stock suspension but I will likely upgrade the rear to an Elka as well because I'm just that kind of a person ; )

Q: If you were to do the trip again would you ride the 800 or on something different?

If the windscreen and side stand issues were addressed I would absolutely ride a F800 again!

Cory
Old 09-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #52
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,702
Thanks

Great Feedback!

That is an interesting idea on the fuel storage. I will look into that as well. For all the good stuff TT has and has done for the enduro world, they can suck it this one.

I too have gone through three screens but keep coming back to the OEM.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #53
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Epic Journey! Good luck with the rest of the trip
Old 09-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #54
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,970
Safe travels, your living the dream of many of us here!

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #55
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Thanks for the comments guys! We have been slow to update and internet is not great. We have 10,000 photos and over 350hrs of video so far. When we get time and good internet we will load the thread up (it maybe once we are home).

Tim put together a small video of a section in Kazakhstan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufuTnrBGGg

The trip has been awesome and I really do not want to go home! Going off to work everyday will be awful after getting a taste of this lifestyle : (
Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #56
wolf359 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
We are now home, having completed the adventure in 118 days.

We rode over 30,000 KM.

The blog is mostly complete, and I will try to post it up here.

Thanks for all the support and well wishes everyone.

Tim
wolf359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #57
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,645
Hey Tim,
Im glad you made it home ok. How is Petar? did he get home also?

I have been writing stories for a US chopper mag called The Horse.
The pic I took of you guys is in the current issue, Feb '10
I think its also sold in Canukistan

Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #58
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug
Hey Tim,
Im glad you made it home ok. How is Petar? did he get home also?

I have been writing stories for a US chopper mag called The Horse.
The pic I took of you guys is in the current issue, Feb '10
I think its also sold in Canukistan

Doug
Thanks Doug!~We got a heads up from someone else about the pic in the mag. I picked on up the other day. Hope all is well with you. Petar crashed his bike badly (basically totalled) in Kazakhstan He was OK though. He had to wait in Astrachan, Russia for 3 weeks for parts. The bike was repaired and he continued his ride back to Croatia thus completing his RTW ride....pretty awesome achievement for a 19yr old!

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 01-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #59
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

So this RR was pretty lame while we were go so now that we are back and I have some time so I'll be posting pics and stories now. This will be a complete restart!

July 12th, 2009:

Tim and I loaded up the bikes and headed to a local city park where friends and family were gathered wanting to see us off. I'd guess there was about 100 ppl present including a few who traveled 500-800miles just to see us before we left. Tim's 98yr old grandmother was also present. Sadly she didn't get to see us come home as she pasted away while we were gone. RIP.

Tim's grandmother, RIP:

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #60
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

We had a few days to ride the 1000kms from Calgary to Vancouver so we decided to take our time and break our ride up into 3 sections. We had sent some of our gear to Vancouver in advance as I didn't have room for it and my good friend Rebecca. Rebecca was on holidays and wanted to ride to Vancouver with us then she was going to fly back to Calgary when we jumped on the plane to South Korea. We left out going away party and rode to Golden, BC. We had a couple friends on bikes ride with us for a short while and a couple other friends wanted to follow in their truck to Golden to join us for dinner before heading the 300km or so back home.

We camped in Golden and met up with Tim's brother and sister-in-law. We left Golden and continued west toward Vancouver.

There's a bit of a side bar here: Before this trip Tim had ridden for about a year and his longest rode trip on a bike was Calgary to Lake Louis (about 200km/120miles). My previous bike experience was limited to 7000kms on my 2000 Honda VFR Interceptor in 2000. My longest bike trip prior to this RTW trip was Calgary to Kelowna, about 600km/375miles.

With our lack of highway seat time, we seemed to spend a ton of time adjusting, tightening, re-strapping and repacking our gear. We probably stopped 12 times a day because of loose or missing gear.

We had ridden about 300km that morning and we came around a corner on the TransCanada highway to see a 3 cars stopped on the opposite side of the road; one of which had the roof half ripped off. We stopped and ran across the highway to see what happened and to make sure everyone was OK.

This is a creepy/scary story. This older couple was driving along the highway when a tree literally fell out of the forest just as they were driving by. The tree was about 100ft tall and over a foot in diameter. It didn't fall on the rode and they hit it, it literally fell as they drove by and hit the windshield . They were covered in glass but otherwise unhurt. We performed some minor first aid, waited for police and EMS to arrive before we continued on our way.

We continued to Hope, BC where we spent the night. We had planned on camping however the pouring rain all day made us wimp out and get a room.

A few weeks before we left Tim had met a guy from Croatia that was traveling around the world by bike (alone) and we realized that he was basically doing the same route as we were except he was going to be 3 weeks ahead of us. He (Petar) asked if he could travel with us if he waited in BC until we came through. Tim and I both thought this was a good idea. Petar traveled up the Dempster Highway before turning around and heading south to meet us.

We rode the 200kms to Vancouver and made our way to shop that we had sent our extra gear to, that's also where we met up with Petar. Remember how I said we sent gear ahead as I didn't have room for it all plus Becky on my bike? Yeah well now I had that extra gear AND a passenger. What a gigantic PITA getting everyone and everything to the hotel near the airport.

We check into a hotel near the Vancouver International Airport and cargo row where our bikes will be shipped out from. We organize all our gear and ride over to drop the bikes off at the cargo depot.

They say you should take half the junk you pack and twice the money, well F%^k me we had a lot of junk!. Being this was our first real bike trip we had no idea what to take, more importantly what to leave behind! We didn't know what things we could buy in eastern Russia so we brought EVERYTHING! Tim has severe food allergies so he was carrying 70days worth of freeze dried food and I had 35 days worth as I had no idea what would available. (in hindsight, we were going to Russia, not the moon!). Although the food is bulky it is light, even though the pics look like we weight 1200lbs, we don't!

After a very short "piled high" ride to the cargo depot we began prepping the bikes for their flight to South Korea. We spent 4-5hours doing paperwork and prep.

Casey and Kali traveled with us to Golden:

Camping with Tim's brother, sister-in-law and their friends in Golden:

Becky, Tim and I in Golden:

Roger's Pass Summit:

Hotel Vancouver:

Tim's overloaded bike:

My overloaded bike. Just a heads up, it's not as bad as it looks. The reason there's SO much junk on it is that we needed to pack all the riding gear that we'd normally be wearing. 3 pairs of moto-cross boots and 2 sets of body armour take up a lot of space!

Scaling the bikes:

Oops...pressurized cans not allowed on a flight!