User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 02:09 AM   #1
viadrowiec OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Non-Canadian buying a moto [legal shit]

Hey, I am planning to pursue my dream ride from Gander to Whitehorse this June. I am from Poland, so as far as I know, I do not need visa for just visiting. My original plan was to buy some motorcycle in Gander (or e.g. st.John's), Honda CRF 250 L or CRF 450X would be great, but more I read online, more confused I am about how to do that. Does anyone of you know whether it's possible at all for non-Canadian to buy a motorcycle and register it ? Do I need to register it ? How to do it, so that I'm all set when I show up in Canada (so that I don't need to waste 3weeks to wait 'till the vehicle gets registered) ? Maybe some of you would like to sell some nice capable motorcycle that is already registered (and which is 'stationing' on new foundland) ? Any advice would be welcome. Any pointers to reliable information would be welcome.

Would it be simpler if I'd bring my own motorcycle ?
viadrowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:17 AM   #2
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
I am in St John's and buying a motorcycle is quite possible. The TCAT thread had two Kiwis buy two WR250Rs and they were plated and waiting for them. It requires insurance to be licenced. They purchased them new from Atlantic recreation in St John's but if you want a Honda....Johnny Seymour at Honda One is your go to man.

Bill at Simmons Honda in Gander can do the same. Tell him Murph sent you.

If you need help....I am here.

damurph screwed with this post Today at 10:38 AM
damurph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:33 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,413
Didn't know it was that easy.....

Also, Canada is a big spot and a long way on the bikes you're considering. I'd throw a DR650 on that list.

Oh and welcome aboard and good luck.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:29 AM   #4
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Didn't know it was that easy.....

Also, Canada is a big spot and a long way on the bikes you're considering. I'd throw a DR650 on that list.

Oh and welcome aboard and good luck.

Sthamerica was one of the Kiwis. He would be able to give more specifics but they flew in on Sunday (06-10-13) and rode away on Monday. Bikes were plated and set up to spec.

I agree with the DR/KLR thing but if you have time and money....any machine will get there. It will take longer than June has days though.

damurph screwed with this post Today at 10:41 AM
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #5
viadrowiec OP
n00b

Hey guys, thanks for your replies !

@damurph Does any of those guys have an account on ADVrider ? Thanks! That's really really useful piece of info! I'll try contacting these guys!

@Maggot12 Yeah, I was considering DR as well, however so far I was only riding hondas, and I've luckily gained some experience in dealing with them mechanically. Of course other motorcycles would not be much different, and as far as I know, DRs are pretty darn tough. My only problem with CRF250L is that is has pretty small tank, so even assuming high mileage per gallon, covering long distances could be a problem. If you do have some other suggestions about the motorcycle please do feel free to share them.
Old Today, 11:03 AM   #6
viadrowiec OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Sthamerica was one of the Kiwis. He would be able to give more specifics but they flew in on Sunday (06-10-13) and rode away on Monday. Bikes were plated and set up to spec.

I agree with the DR/KLR thing but if you have time and money....any machine will get there. It will take longer than June has days though.
Yeah, I do have more time. I'm set up to be in Juneau at the end of July, and planning to get to Gander June 15th or so. In any case, being little bit late won;t be a problem. Nothing's set in stone. I'm planning to spend 2-3 weeks in Juneau, and take my way back through States to NY, and fly back home from there.
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #7
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viadrowiec View Post
Hey guys, thanks for your replies !

@damurph Does any of those guys have an account on ADVrider ? Thanks! That's really really useful piece of info! I'll try contacting these guys!
Sthamerica is an inmate on ADVRider.
Honda One is a dealership in St John's and Simmons is a dealership in Gander. Both are Honda and have websites with contact info. Parts counter at each dealership (Terry at H1 and Dave at Simmons)would be able to outfit the bikes with aftermarket tanks for better fuel range. That is what the Kiwis did. All it takes is money.
Insurance policy required before a plate will be attached.
Have you seen the thread on the TCAT? It is in the Canada regional forum titled " The Making of a Cross Canada Route".
I do think you might be a bit optimistic. Check the distance via Google Earth.
As for taking the bike to NY and returning home. You would need to import it into the USA to sell it there but you could ship it back to Poland and import it there. Selling it in Canada is what the Kiwi's did.
Logistics require forethought and funds. If you are lacking in one you better have a lot of the other.

damurph screwed with this post Today at 12:20 PM