ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #4291
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker
 
dryden_rider_54's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Just ahead of a flat line.
Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
*pinch* my Gl1200 went down too. But it's just because they went from 25% to 33% discount for people with maxed out merits.
Got my insurance this week and it went down a few hundred also
  • Me principal driver on 3.
  • Wife (second year rider with M2 class licence) principal on one
  • 2 2010 BMW GS (one F800 and 1 F650) full coverage
  • 2 KLR liability only

$2400 all in. Hopefully when wife gets full licence in June that will go down,
__________________
"The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he came to see.".
His - 2006 KLR Red, 2010 F800GS 30th Anniversary edition
Hers - 2003 KL250 Super Sherpa Green, 2010 F650GS Biarritz Blue Metallic

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #4292
Mark96
Way Out There!
 
Mark96's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Oddometer: 602
Another fun day at StMalo. When I wasn't riding I was attempting to get a few good shots.
a link to 17 more http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...iding/ice2012/

__________________
you can always make more money, but you can't make more time....bike pics and misc http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/mlstev27/

Mark96 screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 10:13 PM
Mark96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #4293
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer
 
PiffleMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark96 View Post
Another fun day at StMalo. When I wasn't riding I was attempting to get a few good shots.
a link to 17 more http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...iding/ice2012/
Mark,
I see at least a couple of bikes are set up with full fender protection. What type of studs is everyone running?

Cheers, Brian
__________________
"He never met a stranger." Drif10 re DRCool
Have Sporadic Spot, will travel sporadically...
And a picture outside my window... Sometimes...
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #4294
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,300
I'm thinking that would make a pretty good commuter set up for me? Do you screw them right into the tyres, or do you buy them studded? How many studs per tyre? Wonder if the DR would be happy in the snow....on nice days?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #4295
Mark96
Way Out There!
 
Mark96's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
Mark,
I see at least a couple of bikes are set up with full fender protection. What type of studs is everyone running?

Cheers, Brian
Hi Brian,

Some guys are running full front fenders because it is required if you are going to compete in the States. There is only 3 guys that have them although it is a real good idea in case of any contact.
We don't have any of that ruff stuff going on. We give each other lots of room. (touch wood)
The majority of guys have recently gone to buying lined tires tires that are built at Capital Motorsports locally or in the US from Fredette Racing or Larsons Cycle. About $600 set.
But there are still some (like me) who stud there own knobbies using Cold Cutter screws (5/8" for the rear and 1/2" for the front tire) that you can get from Capital. About $300 set after its all said and done. The lined tires offer much better traction and last much longer.

Here is a shot of an unlined knobbie that we all ran for years (either a Kenda or Cheng shin)


this is the more expensive lined tire that works much better


It's pretty fun and gives you someting to look forward to on Sundays

Your more than welcome to go for a spin on our bike if you'd like to come out.

Mark
__________________
you can always make more money, but you can't make more time....bike pics and misc http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/mlstev27/
Mark96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #4296
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream
 
jimtoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: The Peg 2 seasons short summer & long winter
Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
When are you all leaving? Also, when are you coming back.
I might quit the new job I haven't started yet.
A few of us will be going till Kenora on the 15th and gathering up Skysailer for an early run up to TBay. His bike will be getting fresh rubber there.

Not sure how early or late we will be leaving TBay on 17th. That may depend on when the head shrinks down small enough to fit in the helmet from the night before "beer bottle arm wrestling".

I have to be back at work on 23rd. But what will that matter to you. You will have just quit your job anyway.

You may as well quit in your job interview.
__________________
1967 Honda S65 "Unrestored Driver"
1967 Honda S90 "Resto Project"
1968 Honda 305 Dream "Restored"
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #4297
rugbyrtcwka
railroader
 
rugbyrtcwka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtoe View Post
A few of us will be going till Kenora on the 15th and gathering up Skysailer for an early run up to TBay. His bike will be getting fresh rubber there.

Not sure how early or late we will be leaving TBay on 17th. That may depend on when the head shrinks down small enough to fit in the helmet from the night before "beer bottle arm wrestling".

I have to be back at work on 23rd. But what will that matter to you. You will have just quit your job anyway.

You may as well quit in your job interview.
If you decide to leave on the 16th instead leat me know and I will join you.
__________________
Old enough to know better but probably do it again.
rugbyrtcwka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #4298
2whlrider
Where to next?
 
2whlrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Flatipeg, Manitoba
Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
If you decide to leave on the 16th instead leat me know and I will join you.
Our plan is to leave the evening of the 15th and stay O/N at my cottage which is 15 min west of Kenora. Then meet up with Skysailor in Kenora the morning of the 16th and carry on to T-Bay.
If you can leave the evening before you, John and anyone else is welcome to join us.
__________________
On two wheels....That's my Happy Place!
2whlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #4299
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,524
OK ....this is going to take 3 days to get to Thunder Bay, then three more days to get to Dan's.... Hey JimToe, you may need the trailer again...full beer and Patron... LOL

Hey John, I would quit my Job...but the pay is great and I get all the time off I need.....
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #4300
humvee
Beastly Adventurer
 
humvee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Winterpeg, MB, CANADA
Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post

Hey John, I would quit my Job...but the pay is great and I get all the time off I need.....


__________________
"Explore an unpaved road with a new friend" - Fortune Cookie, September 30, 2013
humvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #4301
SoSlow
Having fun
 
SoSlow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Manitoba
Oddometer: 839
I think I missed something...

Are you guys talking about an icebreaker ride?
__________________
2009 KLR650
2012 Versys 650
SoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #4302
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The Center of Canada, Home of the Arctic Vortex
Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Are you guys talking about an icebreaker ride?
Go to the Northern Riders Sign In thread. Short version, heading to Sault Ste Marie for a beer and cooked animal on the May Long Weekend.
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #4303
rugbyrtcwka
railroader
 
rugbyrtcwka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 512
Question Formulating a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrider View Post
Our plan is to leave the evening of the 15th and stay O/N at my cottage which is 15 min west of Kenora. Then meet up with Skysailor in Kenora the morning of the 16th and carry on to T-Bay.
If you can leave the evening before you, John and anyone else is welcome to join us.
Since I work till midnight on the 15th that wouldn't work. However if your meeting someone in Kenora on the morning of the 16th I could hook up with you then!? Maybe I can talk Greg into riding out with me.
__________________
Old enough to know better but probably do it again.
rugbyrtcwka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #4304
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream
 
jimtoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: The Peg 2 seasons short summer & long winter
Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
Since I work till midnight on the 15th that wouldn't work. However if your meeting someone in Kenora on the morning of the 16th I could hook up with you then!? Maybe I can talk Greg into riding out with me.
Unfortunately Greg will be leaving a few days prior to us. But this is still very early in the game. Perhaps a Friday lunch is in order to begin the preliminary planning, dreaming, begging the spouce or whatever it takes..

Who is up for a Friday lunch to tell tall tales of previous and future Icebreaker (ball freezer) rides to the freindly Ontario countryside. Polo Park Canad Inns was nice, not to loud and the food was ok.
__________________
1967 Honda S65 "Unrestored Driver"
1967 Honda S90 "Resto Project"
1968 Honda 305 Dream "Restored"
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #4305
rugbyrtcwka
railroader
 
rugbyrtcwka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtoe View Post
Unfortunately Greg will be leaving a few days prior to us. But this is still very early in the game. Perhaps a Friday lunch is in order to begin the preliminary planning, dreaming, begging the spouce or whatever it takes..

Who is up for a Friday lunch to tell tall tales of previous and future Icebreaker (ball freezer) rides to the freindly Ontario countryside. Polo Park Canad Inns was nice, not to loud and the food was ok.
Jim, I noticed back in the rally thread that you were talking about leaving on the 16th. maybe we could ride out together?
__________________
Old enough to know better but probably do it again.
rugbyrtcwka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014