Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #4606
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothelake View Post
I have gotten full management approval to host a KLR Tech day. Tuesday May 1st fits into my schedule. I would leave work around 1, make all the preparations at home and be ready to receive visitors by 2 or 3. Let me know if that works for you folks. I live just South of Winnipeg in Grande Pointe.......lots of parking available (although the driveway is gravel) and a double garage to work in. Not sure If any other repairs are performed at these events but I do have a good selection of tools. More details to follow once I get your feedback!
I'll try to take some time off work to attend and watch the fun and games.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #4607
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette View Post
Live in Kentucky, USA and will be heading North this July. Will be coming in from the East out of Ontario. What is the road like heading up to Thompson? Riding a big RoadKing. CTH
The road should be no problem, though you may have to slow for frost heaves and ocasional broken pavement.
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #4608
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.

Oddometer: 493
Billy Connolly has another show where he travels across the north west passage. Can't remember the name but I know it's on Netflix if any of you have it.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #4609
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothelake View Post
I have gotten full management approval to host a KLR Tech day. Tuesday May 1st fits into my schedule. I would leave work around 1, make all the preparations at home and be ready to receive visitors by 2 or 3. Let me know if that works for you folks. I live just South of Winnipeg in Grande Pointe.......lots of parking available (although the driveway is gravel) and a double garage to work in. Not sure If any other repairs are performed at these events but I do have a good selection of tools. More details to follow once I get your feedback!
Date marked down and I will talk to the boss tomorrow see if I can take off 1 hour earlier at 3:30 so be there by 4pm. I should get all my parts in by this weekend and would like to do the doo and change the front sprocket to 16 tooth at the same time if possible. Thanks a lot for putting up a tech day, Totthlake.
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #4610
Mark96
Way Out There!

Oddometer: 654
The May 1 tech day sounds like it is shaping up to be a good one. Marked it on the calendar. I'll attend. Thanks for hosting Tothelake.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #4611
Emerald Bull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Trip to Belize

Well it looks like I am ready to leave for Belize tomorrow April 5 0800. I think i have everything i need to make the trip. If there are any last minute things that i should bring along, that any of you can think of, I'd love to hear about it. If i don't get it before i leave Winnipeg I can pick it up along the way. Most of my stays will be in a hotel, but i have packed all my necessary camping gear, so camping will happen at some point.
My planned route is Winnipeg to Sioux Falls,SD to Wichita,KS to Austin,TX to Brownsville,TX to Tampico,MX to Veracruz,MX to Villahermosa,MX to Chetumal,MX into Belize. From there i have some contacts so I am not sure on my route from there. I plan on changing my rear tire in Brownsville or Austin my front should carry me through to the return trip.
Any advise or words of encouragement would be appreciated. PLEASE don`t tell me I`m crazy or going to die, I have been hearing that for months. I`m leaving tomorrow so nothing that anyone has to say is going to change that. I`m packing the bike today and going for a short test run. Not too long though, I will be living on my saddle for the next month or so.
Ill try to post ride reports here and there with pictures (I have not posted pictures Yet maybe someone can advise on that)

Cheers,
Rob
Emerald Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #4612
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Bull View Post
Well it looks like I am ready to leave for Belize tomorrow April 5 0800. I think i have everything i need to make the trip. If there are any last minute things that i should bring along, that any of you can think of, I'd love to hear about it. If i don't get it before i leave Winnipeg I can pick it up along the way. Most of my stays will be in a hotel, but i have packed all my necessary camping gear, so camping will happen at some point.
My planned route is Winnipeg to Sioux Falls,SD to Wichita,KS to Austin,TX to Brownsville,TX to Tampico,MX to Veracruz,MX to Villahermosa,MX to Chetumal,MX into Belize. From there i have some contacts so I am not sure on my route from there. I plan on changing my rear tire in Brownsville or Austin my front should carry me through to the return trip.
Any advise or words of encouragement would be appreciated. PLEASE don`t tell me I`m crazy or going to die, I have been hearing that for months. I`m leaving tomorrow so nothing that anyone has to say is going to change that. I`m packing the bike today and going for a short test run. Not too long though, I will be living on my saddle for the next month or so.
Ill try to post ride reports here and there with pictures (I have not posted pictures Yet maybe someone can advise on that)

Cheers,
Rob
Have a fun and safe trip.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #4613
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Bull View Post

Cheers,
Rob
Rob, safe trip and enjoy the ride. I've never done anything like this or even close, so not much suggestion. Looking forward your ride report.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #4614
Tothelake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Emeral Bull to Belize

Make sure you have enough TP and underwear to make it through Mexico! All kidding aside have a great time....
Tothelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #4615
Tothelake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Tech Day parts

Ordered my "doo" parts from Dualsport Plus yesterday afternoon and they arrived this morning......wow, that's service! Looks like about 6 people so far have indicated they'll be coming by. Will take a tally closer to the date as well as any requests for food & beverages. And provide directions of course. Enjoy the weather!
Tothelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #4616
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

2012 - Winnipeg to Paradise...

Some of the photos I’ve taken on my Winnipeg to Paradise NL ride so far…

Departure Odometer on the RT, 64380 Km, March 22, 2012…

After spending the night at ZZRon’s in Thunder Bay, the Terry Fox Memorial lookout is not so picturesque…
(Rain, Fog and later on, Lightning.) So here’s a pic of ZZRon himself. J

No Photo, but on the highway across the top of the lakes, I saw a sign beside a greenhouse/nursery”
“We’re so happy that spring is here, we wet our plants!”

Finnigan was out to lunch and Isplat2 was out to work, so no pics there...

Outside of Erinsville ON, the everchanging farmhouse that is Dawn and David’s home…

Wild Turkeys near their farm…

Changed a burned out headlight bulb while at Dawn and Davids, visited Drif10 at the local Timmies, then…

On to Ottawa to visit John and Linda, and spend an evening at the Cathedral to hear Linda play with The National Capital Concert Band.

The Cathedral…
If memory serves, this was the same church that Mom and Dad took us to for an Intro to Organized Persecution Religion.
(That’s Linda at the far right. J)

The previous day John and I went for a short ride. He looks the same from behind as I do, so no pictures…

Ottawa to Oromocto (by Fredericton) was a nice ride; passed under the St Lawrence River at Montreal…
And judging by the condition of the tunnel, it’s understandable why underwater passages give some people the willies…

The following day I stopped outside Fredericton to do laundry or get a tattoo/Peep Show, I forget which…

The causeway to Cape Breton Island held a precursor of some conditions to the east…

Further on down the road I saw the sandbar/ferry that connects to part of the Cabot Trail from the south…

I like bridges.
Here's one I crossed on Cape Breton Island...

At the terminal in North Sydney, waiting to board, I had to get a photo of some Cape Breton humour…
(It was one of those scrolling billboards, so eventually it made sense…)

But first, a shot of some freezing sleet, which would cause me some trouble when we boarded…

Remember the Cape Breton humour?

Remember the freezing sleet?
As it turns out, it froze underneath the starter button on the RT, and the bike wouldn’t start until I figured it out and chipped the ice away.
Fortunately the road and loading ramp had retained enough heat that they were just wet and boarding went well.
The 1045 departure was delayed for a variety of reasons and we left harbor just after 1AM.

Onboard the Atlantic Vision… (Actually taken the next morning prior to debarking, after I’d taken off the tiedowns and moved the bike from behind the tractorless trailer behind which I was parked.)

The “Vision” was on her first paying voyage after having undergone 4-5 months of maintenance.
The crew were new, provisioning had not gone well and small things like a bag of chips or other snacks were non-existent. You could however, pay $11.00 for a hot dog and a coke. (I didn't as I'd brought food.)
A cup of coffee was also available in the morning if you were willing to wait in a 20 minute dining room line-up. I didn't... and would come to regret it later as I was racing to get to a Timmies in Corner Brook.

Sunrise as we approach “The Rock”…

Eeek!
Is that snow on the rock!!!?

Cold!

Not many pictures from this point forward. I had been warned of another dump of snow on the way and was anxious to make the 900+ Km to Paradise before it and sunset arrived.

I arrived in Paradise to Susan’s place about an hour before dark, in the rain/fog/sleet/drizzle/four direction wind that they call the weather here.
Fast forward.. after a night of “weather” and temps just above freezing, the snow has diminished considerably…
Last night’s snow dump never occurred.

The odometer is now 7 Km shy of 70,000 and I’ve contributed to the coffers of the oil barons by adding 5613 Km to the RT.
Worth every penny.

That said; to conserve fuel, I’ll be slowing down on the ride home and probably going through the States… as I hear the price of Canadian gas has just gone up again.
I’m being eco-friendly. It has nothing to do with the performance award I received near Corner Brook on my race to get coffee… (Blush…)

Cheers, Brian

PiffleMaster screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 12:06 PM
Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #4617
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice reports, Brian.
Are you able to make the tech day on May 1?
Safe ride back home and hopefully nice weather along your way back.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #4618
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencejinn View Post
Are you able to make the tech day on May 1?
That's the plan.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #4619
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,139
Nice Report Brian! Your one hardcore dude

Safe trip home!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #4620
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Nice Report Brian! Your one hardcore dude

Safe trip home!
Thanks!
Not sure if I'm hardcore or demented, but I'm out there.
Exclusive of a handful of riders in Ontario, I've seen no other riders since Winnipeg.
Lots and lots of people on snowmobiles in Newfoundland though.
Cheers, Brian