Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #4651
Emerald Bull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Trip to Belize

Day 2

Made it to Wichita KS, another 800 km down. People warned me of Montezuma revenge in Mexico no one bothered to mention dont eat the gravy in truck stops . i think i have food poisoning. horrible for a motorcycle trip. And i dropped my helmet in Sioux city scratched my visor pretty bad down the center and damaged the closing mechanism, Ah well

Thank goodness for the Green GMC Yukon XL i followed you for 200 plus KM you saved me against the wind

Missouri was beautiful too lots of hills, Very Scenic,

I guess thats it

Cheers,
Rob
Emerald Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #4652
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Thanks Rob. Enjoy the ride.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #4653
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Thanks Rob. Enjoy the ride.
Lyle
Did you get out for a ride yesterday? It was pretty nice when we blew through Kenora, actually on the bypass.

I found dirt cheap gas a Falcon Lake. $1.169., you know how I like to shop Canadian/ManitobanIt was $1.40 in Thunder Bay.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #4654
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Sure did. Took the DR out for a good spin. 100 km or so. Headed up to Minaki and back. Thing moves right along. Tyres are a bit loud though.....they like gravel better. Really like the bike. Just "falls" into turns. Still getting to know the "Beast".
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #4655
2whlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
Albert Beach Ice Breaker!

Is now a definate for the 18th and 19th, as I have to be out there anyway so the technician can get into the cottage to install the satelite..
I won't be able make this trip as it's in the middle of a shift.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #4656
maraisrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Bull View Post
Well here is my first ride report for my trip, Left the house around 0900 this morning and headed southward. too bad the wind was not cooperating 35 gusting to 40 from the South East. Almost makes you want to to quit right out of the gate. Almost but not quite, and the cold sure lets you know where the holes in the armor are, hehe. I think it was about 6 Celsius this morning. Nothing like driving into the wind with tears in the eyes.

Made it through the border with no issues and through to Grand Forks for a warm up and a long lunch. After lunch the sun came out and the ride was much better, the wind was keeping my bike at a steady 10 degree lean to the east.

I calculated from past rides that i can get about 300 km between gas stations, i quickly learned that riding into the wind heavily laden and travelling about 120-140 kph burns fuel fast. I averaged about 220-250km per tank.

All in all I rode just under 800 km today and ended up in Sioux Falls by 1700 like i planned (other than the 30 km detour to get gas... i got nervous) I was going to push on to Sioux City but decided against it after stopping at a local hotel to use the WiFi. ended up getting a room at the Red Roof Inn (53 bucks) .

I think its food and sleep time for me... tomorrow is going to be more of the same 800 km with a 30 kph wind from the South East, sure burns a guy out.

I brought a tent and camping supplies, I may FedEX them back to Winnipeg. after long days on the road a shower and a warm bed seem much more appealing. Not to mention the reduction in weight on the bike couldn't hurt. I'll make that call tomorrow

Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob,

I passed you on Highway 75 just north of the border. Looked like you were having a windy ride, but I'm still jealous!
Have a good trip.

Ian
2013 Arctic Cat XF800 (6 months of winter)
maraisrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #4657
theshaneler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
well next couple days look like they are going to be cold, but Thursday and Friday are looking nice. anyone up for a day ride?

I can't ride at night as i still have my class 6L, but im up for doing a meet up at tims then a ride.

keeping in mind i'm on a sports bike and doing trails, although funny, would not work ;)
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #4658
BOBMUNZ OP
In jail for a while.

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post
well next couple days look like they are going to be cold, but Thursday and Friday are looking nice. anyone up for a day ride?

I can't ride at night as i still have my class 6L, but im up for doing a meet up at tims then a ride.

keeping in mind i'm on a sports bike and doing trails, although funny, would not work ;)
Common, I've seen a guy ride a buell on rocky trails.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #4659
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBMUNZ View Post
Common, I've seen a guy ride a buell on rocky trails.
He managed to drift that Buel around some curves in the gravel as well.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #4660
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 670
Quote:

I my be up for a Friday ride. I ride a Versys so not to keen on the trail rides either. Friday is my day off. Have been thinking of riding to Old Pinawa Dam.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #4661
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
I'm up for a ride, but the Honey Doo list here in Paradise keeps growing, so I don't think I'll be able to join in this time...
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #4662
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:

I'm up for a half day ride if Sat is nice. Got something to do int the morning.
I went out to the west on Friday and did a little bit exploring, found one backroad ride that was quite nice. Waiting for a group ride up that way when we get a chance.
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #4663
BackRoader
Heading There Next

To cold here! Heading for Pheonix on Wednesday, going to scout out some riding spots for next winter.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #4664
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
To cold here! Heading for Pheonix on Wednesday, going to scout out some riding spots for next winter.
Are ya takin' the bike?
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #4665
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
Are ya takin' the bike?
Will make that decision tomorrow. Thought about throwing one on the trailer and checking out a few places along the way, though it seems my back has been acting up a little and I don't want to put the trip to Dan's in jeopardy. My motorcycle "storage facilty" is at capacity and when I have to juggle the bikes around it takes it's toll on my back. Changes are in the wind.......