Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #5086
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanPickle View Post
Hey all. looks like I've got another KLR failure in my cooling system. Looks like my Thermo Switch for the Fan has packed it in. Just wondering if any of you guys have been successful at matching it up with a generic part at NAPA, part source or any of the other after market places? I'd rather not go to the dealer....
Might be the relay. You know how to troubleshoot it? If you take the connector off of the thermal switch on the bottom of the rad, and ground the lug on that wire to a good ground on the frame (key in the on position of course), this should trigger the relay and turn the fan on. You should hear the relay click. You can have a relay that clicks, but internal contacts are shot too. Relays are cheap, and they don't last forever. I bought a spare rad, so in theory (once I install the extra rad I bought) I'd have a spare thermal switch... but I have my doubts that's your problem.

Daryl
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #5087
GermanPickle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
KLR Thermo Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Might be the relay. You know how to troubleshoot it? If you take the connector off of the thermal switch on the bottom of the rad, and ground the lug on that wire to a good ground on the frame (key in the on position of course), this should trigger the relay and turn the fan on. You should hear the relay click. You can have a relay that clicks, but internal contacts are shot too. Relays are cheap, and they don't last forever. I bought a spare rad, so in theory (once I install the extra rad I bought) I'd have a spare thermal switch... but I have my doubts that's your problem.

Daryl
My relay was done. Still worked but only intermittently, so I swapped it out.. I hard wired a switch to the relay to get the fan going on demand. (had this last year too, but re did it on the weekend with a more permanent solution)

I'm pretty sure that it's the thermo switch. I used my multimeter to check the resistance and then let the bike run hot. The switch did drop slightly in resistance but it should've showed full continuity to close the circuit. Odd thing is.. that I have a similar thermo switch on one of the cars, and that switch usually fails in a closed circuit, not open circuit state.

My immediate problem is resolved as I have my manual override switch again.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #5088
silencejinn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
.....I should have looked more closely at silencejinn's bike to see what length of spacers I'll need between fender and brace....
Mark, I used 4x80mm M6 bolts with 2 1/4" spacer for the fender. I bought a set of curtain rod from dollar store and cut them to fit. I have some left, and If you want to give it a try, feel free to come by or I can drop it off at your place. I'm still looking for a more rigid spacer for that but haven't found anything yet.
I got my bolts from bolts supply on St James, nice people to deal with but keep in mind they have $5 minimum purchase requirement. I picked up my washers from them too. They didn't have 90mm nor 100mm bolts available at that time, that's what I was looking for. Now seems like 80mm works fine, so it's your call.
silencejinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #5089
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 640
Canada's 2nd largest regional thread

What a great bunch of ADVers we have in Manitoba and our friends just east of us. We are now the 2nd largest thread in Canada. with 5324 replies as of today. Not bad since we only started the thread 06-06-2009 ( thanks BOBMUNZ ).

In 3rd place very close behind with 5086 replies are our good friends Northern Riders just to the east of us. Will be seeing a bunch of you in a little over a week from now. Really looking forward to it. Just one more reason to tip back one more while we are there.

The first place thread is the GTA Riders thread with a wopping 19,000 replies. But these guys had an edge on us by merging thier threads back in 01-18-2005.

Just another boring day at work.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #5090
Tothelake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Bolts for Fender

Originally Posted by Mark-II
.....I should have looked more closely at silencejinn's bike to see what length of spacers I'll need between fender and brace....

I have had good luck lately with getting hardware like this at Canadian Tire......at least the one in Southdale seems to carry quite a selection of stainless metric fasteners! Good luck.
Tothelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #5091
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Thermoswitch

Not sure how much a new switch costs, but when I do swap my rad out, you'd be able to try the switch in my old (tweaked) rad. It seems to trigger the fan at the proper temp (around half on the gauge... maybe a tad more). Interesting how the temp gauge is driven by the temp sensor on the cylinder head... it's "direct" reading whereas the rad temp switch is in theory lagging slightly behind actual engine temp (does that make sense?). Does your engine settle in around midrange on the temp gauge during normal operation? One would think a healthy thermostat should regulate it right around there, and the fan should kick in only when the engine is operating hard, and there's little airflow over the rad. I wouldn't hesitate to throw in another relay/different brand perhaps.

Daryl
Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #5092
GermanPickle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Not sure how much a new switch costs, but when I do swap my rad out, you'd be able to try the switch in my old (tweaked) rad. It seems to trigger the fan at the proper temp (around half on the gauge... maybe a tad more). Interesting how the temp gauge is driven by the temp sensor on the cylinder head... it's "direct" reading whereas the rad temp switch is in theory lagging slightly behind actual engine temp (does that make sense?). Does your engine settle in around midrange on the temp gauge during normal operation? One would think a healthy thermostat should regulate it right around there, and the fan should kick in only when the engine is operating hard, and there's little airflow over the rad. I wouldn't hesitate to throw in another relay/different brand perhaps.

Daryl
The relay I have is the same style, but different manufacturer. and yep sounds like your bike runs as warm as mine. When I tested my switch I let the bike get pretty close to the overheat before I triggered the fan manually. The switch lists at $80 I believe, but I'm betting dollars to donuts, that it's a common part and that Napa can cross reference it in their catalog... I just don't want to take it out and bring it there as it means I'm not riding for a few more days.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #5093
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by silencejinn View Post
Thanks for thinking about me, John. I'm thinking we ride out to portage la Prairie through route 26, stop for coffee then head back. We can ride Roblin all the way to St Francis Xavier if Lee is comfortable with a section of unpaved road.
This is just my thoughts, also open to any routes as long as it's simple and short.
I know that route...ran out of gas there once...and there is no problem riding the Burgie down there....none whatsoever...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #5094
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by silencejinn View Post
Mark, I used 4x80mm M6 bolts with 2 1/4" spacer for the fender. I bought a set of curtain rod from dollar store and cut them to fit. I have some left, and If you want to give it a try, feel free to come by or I can drop it off at your place. I'm still looking for a more rigid spacer for that but haven't found anything yet.
I got my bolts from bolts supply on St James, nice people to deal with but keep in mind they have $5 minimum purchase requirement. I picked up my washers from them too. They didn't have 90mm nor 100mm bolts available at that time, that's what I was looking for. Now seems like 80mm works fine, so it's your call.

Thanks for the info! I have to dig around the basement and see what I have in aluminum rod. If I can fabricate something that is acceptable and not entirely of a half-assed nature I can certainly do up an extra set. I was thinking also that something from the plumbing section might work, if it's thick enough walled pipe. We'll see.

In other news - I booked my road test today. Earliest slot I could get was May 29, and that's out in Portage! There were no slots at all in Winnipeg for a 2 month period. A friend of mine had suggested months ago that I go to Portage for the test anyway... Maybe I should head out there on the weekend myself just to find the MPI centre (as good an excuse for a road trip as any).
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #5095
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothelake View Post

I have had good luck lately with getting hardware like this at Canadian Tire......at least the one in Southdale seems to carry quite a selection of stainless metric fasteners! Good luck.
Home Despot seems to be pretty decent too, as I recall. I've been to the Nut House on St James too (a much better name, I think). Truly it is the mecca of fasteners. I think I last went there for some set screws for pulleys I had been turning out for the little steam engines I collect.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #5096
theshaneler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
is anyone here doing the Ride For Dad on May 26th?

my father and myself are thinking of doing it.

we are both new riders, and reading through the group riding rules makes it seem more difficult than just a nice cruise :s

maybe some ADVers wouldn't mind teaching 2 newbies the ways of group riding before the event and/or let us join your group on the day of ;)
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #5097
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post
is anyone here doing the Ride For Dad on May 26th?

my father and myself are thinking of doing it.

we are both new riders, and reading through the group riding rules makes it seem more difficult than just a nice cruise :s

maybe some ADVers wouldn't mind teaching 2 newbies the ways of group riding before the event and/or let us join your group on the day of ;)
I'm in the same position as you. I talked to their rep at World Of Wheels and he assured me that they could deal with novices, so I signed up for it, though I'm still a bit apprehensive. I don't remember reading riding rules....I'll have to review their website again (my memory is utterly shoddy lately).

It's just the ride from Polo Park to the downs that is in a group - the scoot out to Gimli isn't regimented; you make your own way.

Not sure if I'm up to go that far anyway. The weather will decide.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #5098
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,410
I never do group rides. I don't mean 5 or 6 guys out for a trip, that's not a group. The large "herds" of riders paying "follow the leader" with "road captains" and all, just hold NO interest for me. WTF is a "road captain" anyway? Usually the dude riding the biggest dresser, with the most "badges" and "crests" on his pirate's "uniform"? I don't need no stinking badges!
Always found more joy in going my own way. Don't need the roar of the "loud pipes save lives" folks to help me enjoy motorcycling. Besides, I have nothing to wear....
Lyle
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #5099
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I never do group rides. Always found more joy in going my own way., I have nothing to wear....
Lyle
Are you saying you prefer to ride alone wearing nothing?
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #5100
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtoe View Post
Are you saying you prefer to ride alone wearing nothing?
Absolutely naked under a certain pair of rain pants.....still want 'em back?
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote