Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
For those who stayed in Winnipeg.
Who want to go for a ride Sunday?
Talk about a shitty day.
Hey, back so soon? Not surprising, since albertan's are like americans. What time you wanna go for a ride on sunday? Mel and I may come back from the cabin early to go for a rip
chris_689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #5192
Mark-II
Turn The Gas On

Oddometer: 328
I'm always up for a scoot, so long as I don't need my waterproofs (I get just as wet with them as without them, it seems).

Eagle Mike got back to me on the fork brace. Said if there are spacers between the clamps and the top bit, then it's for the older KLR.

DSP has been very good - had me ship it back on their account.

I think I'm going to hold off on further farkling, though. I'm going to go to every demo ride I can find and see if anything out there fits me any better than this beast does.

So far the only brand I can't find any info on is Suzuki. If anyone hears of them putting on a dog & pony show in or around Winnipeg, I'd appreciate a link. Otherwise I've got Kawi, Victory, Honda, Yamaha..... Maybe H-D.
Mark-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #5193
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,066
Helmets?

Who has the best selection of helmets in Winnipeg?
Looking for a new modular.
Would specifically like to try Vemar, Nolan, Scorpion, Bell.
Don't want HJC, AGV, Zox.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #5194
Brian06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Does anywhere local stock Sidi boots? I would order online but that just seems like a pain if you get the wrong size.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #5195
theshaneler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
Who has the best selection of helmets in Winnipeg?
Looking for a new modular.
Would specifically like to try Vemar, Nolan, Scorpion, Bell.
Don't want HJC, AGV, Zox.

Thanks.
couple places to check:
Main motor sports - http://www.mainmotorsports.com/
Winnipeg sport and leisure - http://www.wpgsport.com/
Capitol motorsports - http://www.capitolmotosports.com/
headingley sport shop - http://www.headingleysport.com/

otherwise i have a scorpion exo-1000 in XL that i am looking so sell, cost me $399 and im selling it for $250 never been used lol

and Brian check capitol, they stock lots of different brands.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #5196
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fry View Post
Guy I was going to work for is an owner-operator for another company. They may not be keeping him much longer.

Not sure yet. Have job interveiw in Winnipeg tomorrow, Will post again with a time frame depending on that and weather.
Well if you are done your interview early enough. Hop on you bike and come to the Soo Greg and I will save you a tent spot.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #5197
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 628
For a ongoing update on our travels through Ontario go to Northern Riders thread.

Teaser pic.

2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #5198
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 580
Hey guys, this is from the last tech day we had. unfortunately I don't have any pictures from the tech day itself, but I have some from what we did for the rest of the weekend which was sleep at the shop then we rode to St. malo (south of the city) then from there to Lac du Bonnet (north east of the city). riding to LDB was very wet and cold to say the least.

Enough chatter, here are a few pictures.

In St. Malo, the KLR just hangin' out by the bonfire with the rest

All packed up

My cousins on me and Chris689's bikes

My uncle trying to remember how these things work

In some small town on our way to LDB, stopped for a hot meal on a cold and wet day

Proof that we were riding in the rain!

Finally made it to the cabin
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #5199
chris_689
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Always something

John- tried that listerine you suggested, taste is still there
Anyway, so just my luck, we spent like 8 hours on my bike at the tech day and today I manage to get the weekend off, take the bike out, and 20kms later, left fork seal is blown. Stopped at a restaurant and theres oil all down the fork, brakes and left side engine, Biggest question I have is, Do i need the special tools in order to change the fork seals? As usual Mel and I had plans to go to the lake this weekend but I obviously cant ride out there without suspension.

So do i need the special tools mentioned in the old service manual? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: Met a guy on a fully farkled red KLR at futureshop who had never heard of ADVrider. So there may be another KLR owner on here soon.
Enjoy the long weekend everyone.
chris_689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #5200
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_689 View Post
John- tried that listerine you suggested, taste is still there
Anyway, so just my luck, we spent like 8 hours on my bike at the tech day and today I manage to get the weekend off, take the bike out, and 20kms later, left fork seal is blown. Stopped at a restaurant and theres oil all down the fork, brakes and left side engine, Biggest question I have is, Do i need the special tools in order to change the fork seals? As usual Mel and I had plans to go to the lake this weekend but I obviously cant ride out there without suspension.

So do i need the special tools mentioned in the old service manual? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: Met a guy on a fully farkled red KLR at futureshop who had never heard of ADVrider. So there may be another KLR owner on here soon.
Enjoy the long weekend everyone.
The old trick...that worked more than once for me, take an old film negative, curve it, and slide it between the fork and seal. Go around a few times , then use Brake Kleen to clean it all up.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #5201
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,544
I have 2 KLRs with krapped out fork seals on the right side. Mine is leaking badly and the wife's is just weeping. Got a quote from Excalibur in TBay to replace for $85 plus parts (if I just bring them the fork legs). Headingly sports in Winnipeg was a bit higher. Think I will take them off and let Excalibur do it so it is done right and will last longer than my shade tree mechanic ability can provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_689 View Post
I manage to get the weekend off, take the bike out, and 20kms later, left fork seal is blown. Stopped at a restaurant and theres oil all down the fork, brakes and left side engine, Biggest question I have is, Do i need the special tools in order to change the fork seals? As usual Mel and I had plans to go to the lake this weekend but I obviously cant ride out there without suspension.

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #5202
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
I have 2 KLRs with krapped out fork seals on the right side. Mine is leaking badly and the wife's is just weeping. Got a quote from Excalibur in TBay to replace for $85 plus parts (if I just bring them the fork legs). Headingly sports in Winnipeg was a bit higher. Think I will take them off and let Excalibur do it so it is done right and will last longer than my shade tree mechanic ability can provide.
hey there, chris_689 and I were working on his busted fork seals last night and found a way to do it ourselves without having to pay someone to do it. If you're interested, you could do the same. I'll link you to the youtube video we used, it's actually very helpful and it's very simple. The only thing you may have a problem with is getting a 24mm bolt and 24mm socket into the upper fork, but if you have a bunch of ratchet extensions, you're halfway there. what we are going to do it weld a 24mm bolt to a socket that fits in the upper fork and using the extensions, reach into the tube and loosen the dampener. Anyway, this will all make sense when you see the video. The do-it-yourself method is very simple and you'll be spending way less money AND it'll be done withinnnn let's say an hour if you had all the parts at your disposal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yITE7ByETVk

Cheers,
Mel
Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #5203
Tothelake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
KLR forks

Years ago I made my own by welding a 24mm bolt to a pipe that was long enough to fit into the bottom of the forks. It worked well but I don't think I have it anymore.....might be in my garden shed but can't be sure! I may get a chance to look next week but that likely won't help you for an immediate repair!
Tothelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #5204
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

No worries, we're gonna make our own bolt/extension tool so we can keep it in a tool tube and have it with us anywhere we go since both Chris and I have KLRs
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #5205
Tothelake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
John Fry sighting

About an hour ago I saw a helmet the same colour as in John Fry's avatar on a KLR headed south across Fermor on Archibald......is that a bonifide John Fry sighting or is it the liquid lunch I had???
Tothelake is offline   Reply With Quote