ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Visian OP
Look out!
 
Visian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: ATL/WNC
Oddometer: 1,688
Georgia Mountain Ramble, May 1-2, 2015

REGISTRATION ENDS TONIGHT (4/26)

The GS Giants invite you to the Georgia Mountain Ramble, a 2-day, 400-mile adventure ride through the mountains of Georgia, with more than a little North Carolina and possibly a touch of Tennessee.

This event is free with your Georgia Mountain Rally fee.

The ride will be tame, roads of the Forest Service variety with perhaps with a few optional hero sections available. We'll throw in some bike games on Saturday afternoon to entertain the , and enjoy the hospitality made possible by the BMW Performance Center's U.S. Rider Academy, Michelin Tires and Jesse Luggage.

The winner gets an $850 discount on a set of Jesse Luggage to fit their bike, that is once we figure out a way to win...

...and

...you can get a chance to win a free set of Michelin tires.

It's free, it's fun, it's what we used to do before Facebook, ADVrider, the GS list, even the IBMWR list. (I am searching for some "back in the day" film photos to scan... stay tuned.)

I am looking for a few volunteers with GPS expertise to help, btw...

You can register for the event here.




.
__________________
'67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Visian screwed with this post 04-26-2015 at 08:52 AM
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
ghostryder
made it
 
ghostryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 5,896
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Missy Impossible
gone and forgotten
 
Missy Impossible's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: back, not that you noticed I was gone...
Oddometer: 179
I think my $700 Anakees from Utah have only 8K miles on them. I should be good, right?

__________________
First of all, don’t love the one you’re with. Love the one you love, and don’t give up on that love until it is gone.... Love for the sake of loving, love because you want to and need to not for money or a nice watch. - Charlie Brown
Missy Impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Visian OP
Look out!
 
Visian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: ATL/WNC
Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Impossible View Post
I think my $700 Anakees from Utah have only 8K miles on them. I should be good, right?



You should be good to go, Missy.

Now then, if you'd like to win an $850 discount on a set of panniers from Jesse Luggage Systems you will need a photo of your bike in places like this:



The rides will go past a number of nice waterfalls.... maybe bonus points for photos:





.
__________________
'67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
DoubleM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DoubleM's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: L.A. Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 146
Looks like a good time. Going to try and make it.
DoubleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #6
Visian OP
Look out!
 
Visian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: ATL/WNC
Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleM View Post
Looks like a good time. Going to try and make it.
Going out today to continue making some turn-by-turn directions for the GPS-challenged...

It might be possible to get a route sheet for all 400 miles of the ride, or maybe just to lunch and enough to get you lost.


.
__________________
'67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
jimncin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jimncin's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: home for the summer
Oddometer: 264
I might have to move all the stuff off the bike, chase the spiders, mice, snakes away and check this one out.
jimncin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #8
Visian OP
Look out!
 
Visian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: ATL/WNC
Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimncin View Post
I might have to move all the stuff off the bike, chase the spiders, mice, snakes away and check this one out.
Hey... it's your kinda price, too.... FREE!

Bring that rear shock you talked about... I may want to buy it...
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #9
DoubleM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DoubleM's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: L.A. Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 146
[QUOTE=Visian;26561399]Going out today to continue making some turn-by-turn directions for the GPS-challenged...

It might be possible to get a route sheet for all 400 miles of the ride, or maybe just to lunch and enough to get you lost.



Good deal! Are the routes mainly off road or street?
Thinking about bringing my better half
.
DoubleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #10
Visian OP
Look out!
 
Visian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: ATL/WNC
Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleM View Post
Good deal! Are the routes mainly off road or street?
Thinking about bringing my better half
.
There is about a 50/50 mix of dirt and street, and this is a great ride to bring your SO along.

Some of the roads are a touch bumpy (it was a long winter) but nothing too dramatic.

There's one optional rough section, but it will be on a separate route so you won't ride it by mistake....


ALSO....

You can save $10 if you register for the Georgia Mountain Rally before midnight tonight (4/14)


BE sure to also register for the Georgia Mountain Ramble for free, be sure to do this so you can get your GPS filees *before* the event. (they're a huge hassle to download at the event)




.
__________________
'67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:52 AM   #11
DoubleM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DoubleM's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: L.A. Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 146
Thanks got in in time to received the discount.
See you there!
DoubleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:23 AM   #12
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 8,171
Just a heads up. Charlies Creek/Upper Hightower has gotten destroyed by the 4WD clubs this winter. It would have been a hero section on larger bikes in past years but is the worst I have ever seen now. Rumors are the FS will gate it since they can't keep the yeeha's out of the creeks and attempting whatever hill climb they deem challenging.

FS163 is nice, coming off 76 one mile East of the AT and going through to Popcorn Road. Go left on Popcorn and Right on Plumb Orchard and out to Persimmon.

Go left on Persimmon and continue to Patterson Gap and out to Bettys Creek Rd near Dillard. Here you have options. Left to Mulberry Road and then to Otto and pick up Coweeta Lab Rd to Pickens nose and Standing Indian and out to NC64 or right and you can pick up 246 from Dillard to Sky Valley and Hale Ridge Rd/Overflow Creek Rd. back down to Warwoman Road. (Which just happens to be right next to 28 )
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 AM   #13
Visian OP
Look out!
 
Visian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: ATL/WNC
Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Just a heads up. Charlies Creek/Upper Hightower has gotten destroyed by the 4WD clubs this winter. It would have been a hero section on larger bikes in past years but is the worst I have ever seen now. Rumors are the FS will gate it since they can't keep the yeeha's out of the creeks and attempting whatever hill climb they deem challenging.

FS163 is nice, coming off 76 one mile East of the AT and going through to Popcorn Road. Go left on Popcorn and Right on Plumb Orchard and out to Persimmon.

Go left on Persimmon and continue to Patterson Gap and out to Bettys Creek Rd near Dillard. Here you have options. Left to Mulberry Road and then to Otto and pick up Coweeta Lab Rd to Pickens nose and Standing Indian and out to NC64 or right and you can pick up 246 from Dillard to Sky Valley and Hale Ridge Rd/Overflow Creek Rd. back down to Warwoman Road. (Which just happens to be right next to 28 )
Thanks for the heads up, Patterson Gap/Coweeta/PickensNose/Ball Creek is on the ride, but from Standing Indian the ride goes north over Leatherman, then west over Tellico... etc.

I've pre-ridden most of this. But gonna stay away from Upper Hightower area since that's probably a bit rough for many... this is a laid-back ride, but there will be one hero section that will figure largely for the gold!
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:50 AM   #14
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 8,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Patterson Gap/Coweeta/PickensNose/Ball Creek is on the ride, but from Standing Indian the ride goes north over Leatherman, then west over Tellico... etc.

I've pre-ridden most of this. But gonna stay away from Upper Hightower area since that's probably a bit rough for many... this is a laid-back ride, but there will be one hero section that will figure largely for the gold!
FS163 is a real nice way to get over to Persimmon. It parallels 76 on the other side of Popcorn Creek watershed. Big bike friendly and not any traffic. Google maps does not show it going all the way through but it does.
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #15
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction
 
HappyCRNA's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Kentucky
Oddometer: 2,268
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015