ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #151
spric116
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnd
I've been looking at that area on the map and there are lots of out of the way roads that look like good gravel.

Going to have to go check that out now.
You may have already been out this way, but my brother and I found some nice gravel by accident on the way out to Sperryville on Saturday. This is southwest of Marshall, somewhere between 66 and Ada on Mountjoy Rd and Elihu Rd. It was a surprise, because on google maps it shows up as yellow, which I thought meant it was at least a paved road. It was steeper than it looks in the pic, with some big holes, but was pretty fun.

It looks like it could get kind of muddy after a rain.
spric116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #152
mnd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by spric116
You may have already been out this way, but my brother and I found some nice gravel by accident on the way out to Sperryville on Saturday. This is southwest of Marshall, somewhere between 66 and Ada on Mountjoy Rd and Elihu Rd. It was a surprise, because on google maps it shows up as yellow, which I thought meant it was at least a paved road. It was steeper than it looks in the pic, with some big holes, but was pretty fun.
It looks like it could get kind of muddy after a rain.
Wow, and right off of Free State Road.

That looks great!

South Road off of Free State looks interesting too.
mnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #153
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Man am I looking fwd to riding this area!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #154
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by spric116
You may have already been out this way, but my brother and I found some nice gravel by accident on the way out to Sperryville on Saturday.
Found that the other day as well, then noticed it was marked as private, even if it was marked on the two maps I looked at as a major road.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #155
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Took a ride out to Harrisonburg today. WOW!! Great weather, great scenery, just an awesome ride. I was getting an endorphin rush just from soaking it all in. I took 211 west to rt. 11 then south to Harrisonburg.

I think everyone knows where this is

This was on 11 heading back from H-burg towards New Market.
Economy really has this place down.

My stinking camera doesn't work well in bright light or sometimes heavy glare so I have to put it on a setting that makes the pics come out a little darkish and grainy, kinda screws up the pic, oh well
On 11, I think

Stopped for lunch in New Market

Heading east on 211, not far from New Market. Dang I need a new camera!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #156
Kurlee
2009: A Bike Odyssey

Oddometer: 1,927
Pics still look pretty good mica! 211 is one of my favorite roads. If only the part heading towards the mountains wasn't so straight and full of cops

But once you cross that, it's alllllll gravy.
Kurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #157
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Somebody posted not long ago that the cops are never on 211.

It's rare I go out there and do not see any. One trooper yesterday.

One day I will route out a back way to get come out in Sperryville and avoid the long boring stretch out of Warrenton.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #158
bbooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Nice looking ride Mica. It looks to me like the pictures turned out fine. I was out that way a couple of times this summer taking may daughter to and from camp. The road to the camp is next to that Lacey Springs Grocery. Going east on that road (806) and then north on Mountain Valley (620) is a nice way to hook up with 211. If I remember correctly, there's even a little gravel along the way.

bbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:37 AM   #159
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
shakedown or shakeout run today

maybe not the best deal i've got on a bike, but close. i guess this is the 4th or 5th one of these i have had but its been over 15 years since riding such a rice burner.

i got it running more quickly than i expected, just in time for the weekend. my family is going to luray caverns today and i'm thinking it might be fun just to meet them up there on this:

would anyone care to ride with me or otherwise run sweep? there are some good routes from marshall to luray as you know.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #160
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Motocox told me about an unpaved road to check out, so I did. Shenandoah Path off of Elk Run. I wasn't in picture taking mode yet so no pics of that road. The last turn, a left, is really sharp, 90 degrees. Well I was going about 45mph when I realized how sharp it was. I was hard on the binders but in the dirt, I just started skidding. I eased off the rear brake. The thought occured to me the only way I will make this turn is if I back it in. Hmmmm.....that'snot going to happen. There was another unpaved road coming from the right which gave the extra room I needed to brake. So anyway..

I turn down Elk Run Rd and feeling a little hungry so I stop here. NOVA Tag #80

Elk Run is a great road but I have done it many times so I head down Midland and stop at NOVA Tag #127. Stop in there and get a bottle of water. The proprietor wasn't the friendliest fella. But a 1/2 litre of Deer Park water 62 cents!! The same one that is a $1.20 at the 7-11.

Headed down Bristerburg, Poplar etc., took some road I didn't know and it put me out on Hartwood. Then I swung into NOVA Tag #39. Big gravel parking area. Played around in the gravel a bit, hmmmm... not feeling the love for that Trailwing on the front.

Continued heading north and hit Tacket's Mill. This a nice road, 4-5 miles long. I had a flat on my VFR here about 4 weeks ago.

I went past the following Tags on my way home. This is blast from the past, when we wee using the coin, MojaveGS grabbed in the darkess of the early morning.

Then Aden Grocery set by Elkhound. It looks like their old sign just couldn't take it anymore.

Of course the Aden bridge was next.Tag # 119. No cars were coming from either direction as I took the pic. I walked back to my bike and turned around there were 5 cars sitting there waiting for me. I purposefully parked far in front of the stop sign and line, so anyone coming could see the other side and go around me. Oh well.... dummy.

Then a quick hit on the Brentsville Superette. Tag #41 set by Elk grabbed by Kurlee.

I didn't go out with intention of hitting old Tag spots. There are so many of them I just started stumbling into them. I could have grabbed a few more without much effort.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #161
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 994
Tags from the past, how about that?
I came across 2 myself -this morning, believe it or not.

I like to get up and ride early - cool and minimal traffic.

Here's NOVATag#7 along the GW Parkway posted by MojaveGS and
grabbed by Rocketman back in April. Haven't heard from Rocketman for
awhile, but hopefully he'll be making an appearance before too long.

And a little later, I chanced by Gadsby's Tavern in Old Town Alexandria-
NOVATag#13, also posted by MojaveGS.
This one was grabbed by Kurlee.

I've got more from this morning, I'll probably post later.
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #162
LoCoMatt
Busy

Oddometer: 491
NoWVa Weekend Ride

So as mentioned in the ToR thread, I went out to WV last week. What a beautiful place with great roads. I originaly planned a circular loop that would bring me out west near Canaan Valley and then south east to Front Royal, and then north east to Purcellville, but I ended up farther north, later in the day, so I backtracked on 50 some of the way. I have to say, 50 in WV is great. There are some very twisty spots, similar to 211 in VA near Skyline.

Total distance was approximately 301 miles.

This was my route:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...2,2.897644&z=9

Stopped here to figure out where my next westerly turn would be. 5 more miles, that's easy.

That's a chicken coop. There are a lot in WV. Saw a lot of Purdue signs on this road.

I then drove past my turn (one of the reasons for the new GPS), so I went back. Wouldn't you know, it had a "Dead End" sign about 500 feet in. I thought about, and then figured google wouldn't steer me wrong, so I kept going.

Close, but no dead end yet:

And here we have it. The road goes on, but there's a nice little "No Trespassing - Keep Out" sign on the tree. This being WV and all, I didn't want to test the hospitality.

So I turn around and head back. Some nice scenery heading in the other direction.

From here I headed down to Seneca Rocks

Had lunch here

Food was good, and it was an educational experience

From Seneca Rocks, I went north to Canaan Valley and Davis, WV. Davis is the highest incorporated town in WV (they have that on their welcome sign).

I cut north east across 93 and descended into the valley of the windmills.

I later learned this was Mt. Storm lake. Dominion has a giant power plant here too.

More windmills:

These are from a rest stop on 50. I believe it is Summit, WV.

I went over there to get a cache. Amongst various little things, was another ADV member's former mascot that he wants move forward with the cache. I obliged and have been carrying it until I set the cache in a new location.

All in all, a great day. I highly recommend this area to anyone looking for a nice day long ride (or longer if you like to camp).
LoCoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #163
spric116
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomatt
So as mentioned in the ToR thread, I went out to WV last week. What a beautiful place with great roads. I originaly planned a circular loop that would bring me out west near Canaan Valley and then south east to Front Royal, and then north east to Purcellville, but I ended up farther north, later in the day, so I backtracked on 50 some of the way. I have to say, 50 in WV is great. There are some very twisty spots, similar to 211 in VA near Skyline.

Total distance was approximately 301 miles.

This was my route:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...2,2.897644&z=9

All in all, a great day. I highly recommend this area to anyone looking for a nice day long ride (or longer if you like to camp).
That's a great ride; I have seen those windmills from rt. 50 before, but never went to investigate further. I'll be riding up that way next weekend and am looking forward to exploring more of that corner of Maryland and WV.
spric116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #164
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 994
Good riding Matt. Hard to beat a ride to Seneca Rocks.

US 33 over the WV/VA border to HBurg is another good route to/from there.
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #165
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,153
Took a quick ride out to some fun gravel out around the Plains / Middleburg / Hopewell. It was a little hot but a good ride. Its easy to forget you are only 30 minutes outside the beltway....

Video

Photos

error cooled screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 08:18 PM
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote