User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #1
OldM3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Terlingua Lodgings

I am going to Big Bend in March. The Chisos Lodge is full (no surprise) so I am thinking about Terlingua. Looking for lodging recommendations. Google Maps shows a couple places there. Read some reviews, nothing alarming just looking for some firsthand info.

Thanks
OldM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
tridawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Camping or just hotel?
tridawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
OldM3 OP
Adventurer

Sorry, hotel.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
maxjett
"Born on a KLR"

Oddometer: 579
You might send Dan at http://gsmmotorent.com an email. We did his rental last year and rented two small houses in Terlinqua but I don't remember the details.

LODGING

Big Bend Resort and Adventures-
(432) 371-2218
1 room w/ 2 beds: $87 per night including tax. (must mention GSMmotoRent for this price)

Terlingua Ghost Town area
El Dorado Motel- 432-371-2111 or 800-371-3588
1 room w/ 2 beds: $112 per night including tax.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
tridawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I camped at a place just west of Terlingua so I know about it but not the rooms, yet. When you going? We're gona stay in the Big Bend Resort the first of March so we may either see you there or I'll be able to tell you about once I get back. I've been past it several times. If your looking for a 5 star resort, it aint, but if your just looking for a shower and a bed with a roof over your head it'll probably work for ya.
tridawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 671
Big Bend Resort and Adventures is okay if you need an RV space. The room I rented last year was dangerously out of code. The door had been broken in and was not correctly repaired, the coffee pot leaked everywhere and there were electrical problems in the bathroom. Friends staying in another room had similar problems. There may be good rooms, but don't be surprised if you get one that is not safe or secure.

If you decide to camp there be prepared for a dirt lot with a road close by for extra dust. Even if you pay for an RV space or campsite bring quarters because the showers in the bathhouse are all pay. I'll be out there later in March for Uncles. If I ride I'll stay at the Lajitas Golf Resort and Spa. Why live like animals? If I take the truck I'll just rent a camp site at BBRaA and sleep in the truck.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,746
Lajitas is by far the best place to stay close to Terlinqua. Rates are around $125.00 per nite or so but worth it. Great bar and place to eat right on premise also a nice pool. Go for it.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,567
My son and I stayed in Lajitas 3 years ago and it was fine. Nothing fancy.
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Cheap Beer & Tenderloins | "You know your getting old when a bad hair day includes your nose, eyebrows and ears" - Inmate - advNZer?
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Slice19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I stayed at the El Dorado Hotel in Terlingua this past October. It was basic but clean. They have a bar/restaurant on site. Nothing fancy but was good enough for the one night I stayed there and they had live music. Staff was friendly too.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #10
philipbarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice19 View Post
I stayed at the El Dorado Hotel in Terlingua this past October. It was basic but clean. They have a bar/restaurant on site. Nothing fancy but was good enough for the one night I stayed there and they had live music. Staff was friendly too.
+1 on the El Dorado, stayed many times, sparse but clean & a short stagger from the bar to bed.
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #11
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,340
Most lodging in/near Terlingua is "OK" If you want fancy, get your wallet out and book well in advance. If you're headed over spring break, bring two wallets.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:15 AM   #12
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 671
My march trip is still in the planning stage, but I may just end up sleeping in the Explorer. It's cheaper, closer to the bikes at night and more comfortable than lots of other options.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #13
OldM3 OP
Adventurer

Well I managed to get two nights at La Posada Milagro (Terlingua) for my daughter and I. Basically we'll have one full day at the park.

So we're just going for a day-hike basically and I've never been there before. Any suggestions on a destination? There are two parks down there, a state and national park, which would you visit if you had one day?

TIA
Old 01-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #14
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldM3 View Post
Well I managed to get two nights at La Posada Milagro (Terlingua) for my daughter and I. Basically we'll have one full day at the park.

So we're just going for a day-hike basically and I've never been there before. Any suggestions on a destination? There are two parks down there, a state and national park, which would you visit if you had one day?

TIA
f you only have one day, definitely go to the national park, the state park is more remote and a bigger commitment to get to, never mind doing any of the hikes there. In the NP, the classic day hike is to the Window overlook, it's a few miles and ~800 climb. If you are in good shape, you can do the Emory peak hike, but that is ~3,000 feet of climb, and is a full day and very strenuous. Talk to the rangers at the Panther Junction visitor center, they can clue you in.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
OldM3 OP
Adventurer

Thanks.
We're in pretty good shape. I had read about the Emory Peak hike, I think we may do it.