I want to, but it'd have to be the weekend before I can make the trip

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #198
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
my 2 cents

I read backwoods comments on the Jackson area thread about changing the TOR rules and maybe even a Capital city TOR.

SO. Why not change and do what works for us? I like riding and I like "HAVING FUN ON MY BIKE". I like doing all sorts of goof ball stuff and I also like just a little competition. It also appears that the Jackson area has the most participation. So if we like the same things and know our limitations why not make something for us. WE could make a central MS TOR or what ever with a limited range ( I do not like the 50 mile rule because that does not even make Vburg, but anything works for me.)
We could also do something like keep score!!!!!!!!!! and at lets say Christmas give a prize to the TOR master of the year.
I like thinking outside the box and I like doing things different. I went to a bike rally last year, not your normal bike rally, a rally where you went on a ride to different check points and then after a 6 hour ride your points were added up and a winner crowned. Just another way to have fun

So why not change things up?
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #199
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Oddometer: 3,428
Man, I hate that this seems to be heading downhill, I guess there's just not enough people in the game . Hopefully it will pick back up.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #200
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,354
My guess is that we have too large of a geographical area (the whole state), too few watching this thread (2 or 3 around Starkville and 8-10 around Jackson), and too few with enough free time to make the longer rides. I had hoped to get groups rides up for some of the longer tags like the one in Clarksdale (thanks again Pappy for leading me out on that one) and then me taking it over near Meridian where we have no riders in the area.

So if it will help keep things going, I'll go back to current location to retrieve mascot and we can narrow the game down until we have more riders involved to cover more area. Or we can just start a separate thread for smaller tag area around Jackson and leave the MS TOR as is and let it move when it can and keep two games going. One of my problems when moving the tag to its current location was finding somewhere to hide the mascot. If we do the shorter area tag around Jackson metro, we may want to go back to "first photo posted" rules if it is too hard to safely hide a mascot. What do y'all think? Two games to keep things moving?
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #201
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,060
I vote to leave it where it is through this weekend. Some of us may want to go get it Sat. or Sun. As for the other suggestions, I'm with you fellers.
carabnsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #202
wolfy317
Beemer lover

I'm with the 2 games thing. I'd like for the overall MS one not to disappear, but it might be a good thing if we did shrink it geographically. The tag site I have in mind for when I get it again, may be a stretch as well, cuz there are very few of us in the north

Al

Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #203
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Having read the two comments above and thought about this over lunch, I go for two games. if the current tag sits for a week or two, so be it. I would vote to start a new thread that is a "Central MS Tag" game and just run both at once.

I have a friend at work who just got a bike and wants to start playing. We will eventually draw in more...

So current tag will stay until someone gets it. Next question is how do we define the new game? A circumference from a fixed point (capital building, etc.) or a list of counties that it has to stay within?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #204
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 2,060
list of counties
carabnsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #205
redduck124
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
distance maybe

How about, instead of a list of counties, we use a general "within 100 miles of Jackson" (or another distance that meets a general consensus) with a little bit of a fudge factor built in. When the weather cools a bit, I know I'll be up for an expansion in the distance. I think the heat has a lot to do with the lack of interest in longer rides right now.
'73 Bultaco Sherpa T
redduck124 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #206
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck124
How about, instead of a list of counties, we use a general "within 100 miles of Jackson" (or another distance that meets a general consensus) with a little bit of a fudge factor built in. When the weather cools a bit, I know I'll be up for an expansion in the distance. I think the heat has a lot to do with the lack of interest in longer rides right now.
\

I definitely agree about the cooler weather. I won't blink at a 5 hour round trip ride when it's nice, but right now....I cringe at the thought of the latter half of my ride becoming a sweat box! That 100 mile radius sounds pretty tasty to me. Jackson is only 120 miles from here, and us Starkville folk might even get to jump in on the central tags from time to time :)

Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #207
The Batman
Caped Crusader

Oddometer: 102
I like the list of counties. That's more cut & dried. Much easier than trying to determine if a given spot is within "x" number of miles of Jackson. Having said that, I'm game for whatever is decided on! Like someone else said though, the heat has played a MAJOR role in my not riding as much lately.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #208
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

According to Google Maps, current tag is 97.6 miles from Jackson. If we use Google maps as the official measure (put in Jackson, MS as the start point and TAG location as destination), then we would still be in the legal area.

If the heat bothers so many of you light-weights, we may just have to let the tags sit until fall... I have only owned a street legal bike for a few weeks and already have 1000 miles on it. I love to ride and that is the purpose of the tag games. To get people out riding and exploring new places. (I thought y'all were a bunch of "Gnarly Adventurers"!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #209
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR
According to Google Maps, current tag is 97.6 miles from Jackson. If we use Google maps as the official measure (put in Jackson, MS as the start point and TAG location as destination), then we would still be in the legal area.

If the heat bothers so many of you light-weights, we may just have to let the tags sit until fall... I have only owned a street legal bike for a few weeks and already have 1000 miles on it. I love to ride and that is the purpose of the tag games. To get people out riding and exploring new places. (I thought y'all were a bunch of "Gnarly Adventurers"!!!

Well street riding is new to you then , I've been riding street for 15 years, and have learned that it is not fun to ride in 100 degree heat
97 miles ain't bad however, and someone will surely snatch it soon. It's more like 127 miles for me. Still doesn't sound bad, but I like the backroads, and they are considerably farther. We'll get it yet though!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #210
Cybervlad
Volusia Man

Oddometer: 73
Thumb Fun tag

Just joined this forum today, sounds like fun. I live in Jackson but I'm still learning so I got my bike stored in the Columbia/Bassfield area to practice riding until I get my license. May convince someone this weekend to ride out that way with me if it is still there. Depends on how the short the Wive's leash is this weekend. Hopefully I can talk Backwoods into riding to the DMV with me soon so I grab a license and take some of these on solo.
Cybervlad is offline   Reply With Quote