User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
CONC OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Talking need a laugh, here I am

Well to all you seasoned rider I love reading your stories of great rides. Of over coming obstacles, finding awesome spots to ride. I have been riding three weeks and 400 miles later been down twice. smashed the right side of my brand new KLR650 in sand a 100 miles from home. Second time smashed the left side, 2 feet from the opening of my garage. I hit the front brake instead of the clutch. Both times face plant leg under the bike. I get up and try again tomorrow. I got to say they do make these bikes durable. Thank God for that, and thank God for ice packs and aspirin.
CONC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
grandelatte
Consistently Inconsistent

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONC View Post
...I get up and try again tomorrow....
YUP, you've got the right attitude!!
Old 03-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Well to all you seasoned rider I love reading your stories of great rides. Of over coming obstacles, finding awesome spots to ride. I have been riding three weeks and 400 miles later been down twice. smashed the right side of my brand new KLR650 in sand a 100 miles from home. Second time smashed the left side, 2 feet from the opening of my garage. I hit the front brake instead of the clutch. Both times face plant leg under the bike. I get up and try again tomorrow. I got to say they do make these bikes durable. Thank God for that, and thank God for ice packs and aspirin.
Welcome!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
PAAVO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Glad you've got such a positive attitude about eating it . I dropped my KLR twice in the first month I had it in the exact same spot in the mud on a gnarly 2 track in the middle of nowhere.(Think I would have learned to go around that spot the second time I went through there ) Took me awhile to figure out how to pick it up considering I weigh a buck fifty.
PAAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
May the force be with you!!!

Good attitude, hang in there!
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
blackvans1234
Talking to myself...

Oddometer: 521
I went down on some ice in the middle of the woods. The bike landed on my foot and leg and I was stuck face down on the trails.
Im laying there thinking "This is how it's gonna end, trapped by the bike"
Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,061
There are two kinds of riders-those that have fallen and those that have not fallen yet.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Did you even consider learning on a lighter, more easily handled used bike? The KLR has a lot going for it, but it is a pig.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
I'm not sure why but it seems easier to get clear of lighter bikes. Heavier bikes seem inclined to pin your little twig of a leg. Or leap at you with intent to smash and grind. Best be nimble and leap clear. Easier said than done when you're torqued out, trying to keep the pig from tipping over.

Falling is inevitable when learning to ride rough terrain. Or even when experienced. Trying to avoid the bike landing on you is usually a good plan. Motocross boots and heavy pants with armor are good policy.

Not having to pick the thing up is good reason to avoid falling altogether.
Good luck with that. I try to limit tip overs to the near stationary type and that seems to satisfy my bike's need to be picked up.

About the front brake instead of the clutch, are you dyslexic? Are you affected by bicycle controls memory? Or are they just still unfamiliar? Slow speed balance exercises and trials type riding can help train control and muscle memory. A bit of time with a good instructor would be well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
Did you even consider learning on a lighter, more easily handled used bike? The KLR has a lot going for it, but it is a pig.

psmcd screwed with this post 03-28-2014 at 08:26 PM
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 962
Welcome, & great attitude...

Just face plant 37 more times and we'll be even...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #11
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Have you taken a riding class? I did when I took up riding and sort of assumed that most people did. Anyways...good educational stuff, professional instructors, people to learn with in a controlled environment, etc.

Maybe just let a little air out of your tires when you ride on the soft stuff.
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Silver lining!

You got it out of the way ASAFP!! That's a good thing, it's all...maybe downhill isn't the right word!
Take an offroad course for beginners, you'll be good to go.
+1 on the attitude, the hard part's over, you done been down.

Take the class, have an open mind while there. Dirt is hands down the best place to learn, it translates well. You'll learn how to do controlled slides, with throttle and brake, knowing that is vital, and best learned in the dirt.

I got sideways one morning coming out of the neighborhood, let off, countersteered, got back on it, and it broke loose again. I just said screw it, grabbed a handful of throttle and rode it out, at 4 am, the guy walking his dog on the corner just shook his head. Probably figured I was an ass playing around, when I really was just saving my ass... and bike.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
RideThePig
n00b

Oddometer: 7
that reminds me...

was thinking of trading my XR650L for an older Triumph Sprint and was talking to the Sprint owner. He asked about my Honda "has it ever been down?" and I was like "oh yeah, like every couple weeks." Weird thing is I was the one that backed out of the trade. Even with risers those old sprints kill my wrists.
RideThePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
If you're going to crash your KLR that frequently then you will probably need to invest in a couple of extra milk crates so you always have a spare on hand.
Other than that, no worries.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #15
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Thank God for that, and thank God for ice packs and aspirin.
Aspirin? Good grief, find a doc who'll write you a prescription for some Percocet. It has about 12 million times more pain-killing ability than aspirin. Get a pill cutter and cut the Perky into 1.5 to 2 mg. pieces. For mild/medium /non-screaming pain, after ~20-30 minutes most of the pain will be gone for ~2 hrs.

Just don't take more and get hooked. Oh yeah, sell that KLR and get something smaller/lighter.