Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Vicks7 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
G 650GS or F 800 GS

Hi All,

I'd appreciate your advice on which of the two bikes above would be better for me. I am currently selling my K1200RS and I am looking for a good all rounder that I can use for the general work commute in morning (through heavy traffic so as nimble as possible) as well as a decent bike for touring at the weekend (unlikely to do significant offroading) or for more extended trips. I guess I want it all.

I am however a bit vertically challenged as just under 5 ft 8" with a 30" inseam. I am obviously going to test ride both bikes but from what I have read it seems the F 800 will be too tall for me although if it is the better bike I would look into getting it lowered if this is possible.

Thanks very much

James
Vicks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Vicks7 OP
Adventurer

Sorry, just to add, two up capability would be a factor if there is a big difference between the two when riding with a pillion.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 779
I have the F650GS single, which is basically the same bike as the G650GS. It would be fine for everything you want to do, except 2-up touring. Some people may beg to differ, of course, but I think the F800 would be better for that. I believe you can get a factory-lowered version of the F800 if you're buying new or you can get a lower seat that brings it down a bit and that might be enough without having to use lowering links.
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,587
I have an F800 with the factory low seat. I'm also 5'8" with a 29.5" inseam. I don't have much trouble with the seat height and the verticle challenge.

I occasionally have some issues off road with it and get myself into trouble, but being careful and planning your route works well.

It is my understanding though (but have not done it myself) that the F800 is not great fro 2 up touring. There is the seat factor, which I find I use much of, leaving very little for a pillion and the power issue. The F8 while a lively powerplant, is rumored to be not suited to two up touring.

YMMV
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks7 View Post
Hi All,

I'd appreciate your advice on which of the two bikes above would be better for me. I am currently selling my K1200RS and I am looking for a good all rounder that I can use for the general work commute in morning (through heavy traffic so as nimble as possible) as well as a decent bike for touring at the weekend (unlikely to do significant offroading) or for more extended trips. I guess I want it all.

I am however a bit vertically challenged as just under 5 ft 8" with a 30" inseam. I am obviously going to test ride both bikes but from what I have read it seems the F 800 will be too tall for me although if it is the better bike I would look into getting it lowered if this is possible.

Thanks very much

James

At 5'8"/200lb/30" inseam with a shorter passenger, I 2up on a 35-40WHP DR650. I also used to 2up a lot on a KZ440. The G650GS is better for 2up than either. The stepped GS seat is wider than the DR seat, and the GS puts out more power than either the DR or the KZ. The F800 is ridiculously more powerful than the DR or KZ, but the stock seat may not be as comfy as the DR's current Seat Concepts seat or the KZ's or G650's wide seat. Have it customized, if it is your only beef with the 800 for 2up.

I'd also look at a few Tiger 800XCs. I don't think the G650GS with stock-type tires is going to be considerably better offroad than either 800 with knobbies. At over 400lb curb, the GS thumper is already pretty portly to be ridden as a dirtbike. You'll take a hit on MPG for a substantial increase in power. If you want a highway-capable BMW to ride in dirt that would overtax you on one of the 800s, look for a G650X-bike and get a lower custom seat.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
CTPete
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I, too, am 5'8" with a 30 in. inseam. I have the F650GS single and it fits me perfectly. It's an awesome commuter - nimble and you can't argue with 65 mpg. It's a pretty good tourer, too. I just returned from a 4700 mile cross-country trip and it performed flawlessly. It's happy doing 75-80 mph all day if you want it to and it's fun to take down the dirt track when the urge hits you. It isn't great for riding 2-up however. I've done some weekend trips with my wife and she never feels totally comfortable. It could use some more power to 2-up, too. Still, this bike (now called the G650) is a terrific choice for people our size.
CTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
The_Precious_Juice
Underway

Oddometer: 1,409
Hope this helps.

The following was taken from this website:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/616/13...irst-Look.aspx

"...but the 800 can be adjusted to suit smaller riders also. Optional lowered suspension drops it by 2.36 inches in addition to the usual seat adjustments (34.6/33.5 inches)."

It looks like the lowest seat height is 32.3." That's pretty good.
I got that number from the motorrad website.
I'm guessing this is with the bike dropped in suspension and the low seat height.
_
I'd go F800GS over Sertao, but to be fair, my opinon is about as good as a hair dryer on a windy summer day in Iraq. Completly useless.

The 2014 G650GS base will be in black. Looks like a good 19" tyre MC.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Wy wife is much more comfortable on the F800GS than the R1100RT, so I sold it. Plenty of space. Her, me and 150 or so lbs of gear is not over the manufacturer's weight recomendation, and it's got plenty of power. We rode it 6,000 miles two up last summer, with little pavement, no complaints from the back or from the front.
60 mg is pretty cool too.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
Vicks7 OP
Adventurer

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies. I will take a look at the F800 later today and then later this week the G650.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
abrasive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Of those two bikes, definitely the 800 for two up and mostly slab.

(Have owned the F800GS and currently own a 650 Sertao...)

abrasive screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 01:26 PM
abrasive is offline   Reply With Quote