Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #181
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39
I'm plannin on experimenting with a KTM SX muffler to free up the exaust a lil bit. Somebody else posted a 7 HP gain,,I gotta see this for myself.
Will you have it figured out in time for the next Ice ride? I'm playing with gearing on the SE to get it to come off the corner quicker, so bring more power
Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #182
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
I'm plannin on experimenting with a KTM SX muffler to free up the exaust a lil bit. Somebody else posted a 7 HP gain,,I gotta see this for myself.
I believe that was from the guy whose bike was really lean. Gain came after re-map with user tool.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #183
gabrielu
who's a berg?

Oddometer: 440
for the SE 16-51 is the sweetest way to go IMO- if you want really short gearing you can find a 15 teeth cs, a german company sells them, you can find the post with a search...

Now though I am also in love with the 570... I don't need more power but it does sound a bit constipated with the stock muffler, plus a little more flow will probably help a little with the heat. So the SX muffler bolts right on? Anybody here knows what bolts on without paying almost a thou for the Akrpovic???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Will you have it figured out in time for the next Ice ride? I'm playing with gearing on the SE to get it to come off the corner quicker, so bring more power
Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #184
gabrielu
who's a berg?

the tire is a Pirelli MT43, and I really like it, I am converted. I gather other tires have even more grip, like the Michelin TT X11 but are also twice as much $ and have softer sidewalls, not ideal for enduro bikes, and for my weight (more than the bike )

Can't compare with the OEM knobby, but compared to all the other riding I have done on knobbies the feel is different because you ride with less spin and skid. Grip is substantially better on wet roots and rocks. Haven't tried yet on loose rocks and on hard pack but I understand it's just as phenomenal.
In sandy terrain (Mattawa) the grip was surprisingly good, just as good as a knobby up the hills, better than a knobby in the gulches. I don't know in true sand, and I hear it is clearly inferior in mud.

As expected on street it is a bit wallowy even at higher pressure, but it is fine for legal speeds. Much safer than my SE on Teraflex .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
So Gabriel,

Are you running a Trials tire on your bike?

If so, which one and how do you like it compared to the knobby that came with the bike?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #185
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielu
for the SE 16-51 is the sweetest way to go IMO- if you want really short gearing you can find a 15 teeth cs, a german company sells them, you can find the post with a search...
Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking of going back to the 16/45, since I've done everything from single track to rally without complaint.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #186
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
Quote:
Only ice racing can leave you wanting more power... even with an open class MX bike or big bore off road bike!
One of the few places you see 500cc two strokes in their element! Have fun.
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #187
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,443
Quote:
the tire is a Pirelli MT43, and I really like it, I am converted. I gather other tires have even more grip, like the Michelin TT X11 but are also twice as much $ and have softer sidewalls, not ideal for enduro bikes, and for my weight (more than the bike )
Thanks. I am considering the Dunlop because that is what my dealer recommends and runs on one of his bikes. It is a radial instead a bias and has an even softer sidewall.

My problem is that until I get a job I won't be getting a pickup to haul the bike in, so I must ride it on the street to get to the trails. The stock knobbie is okay for that, but spins on roots/etc., so with my slow speed and lack of skills I often get stuck on those. Of course, it is an incentive to use better technique and keep momentum over such obstacles. Still, it would be nice to have the traction there.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #188
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
Only ice racing can leave you wanting more power... even with an open class MX bike or big bore off road bike!
One of the few places you see 500cc two strokes in their element! Have fun.
Snow bikes suck the power - especially in the deep powder.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #189
gabrielu
who's a berg?

the Pirelli is what Jeff had on his 570 when I bought it... I don't think it matter much really, since we are not talking about advanced trial work-

Also, since you are doing low speed technical stuff, you should be able to go way low in pressure w/a knobby too. As long as you have the rimlock you'll be fine, just go slow to avoid pinch flats, and pump some air back in when you go on the road.

re truck/trail, consider one of those one bike carriers to plug in a receiver - problem solved for $150, and if you have a car you can have installed an invisible mount hitch, so the car looks clean for normal duty.

Quote:
Thanks. I am considering the Dunlop because that is what my dealer recommends and runs on one of his bikes. It is a radial instead a bias and has an even softer sidewall.

My problem is that until I get a job I won't be getting a pickup to haul the bike in, so I must ride it on the street to get to the trails. The stock knobbie is okay for that, but spins on roots/etc., so with my slow speed and lack of skills I often get stuck on those. Of course, it is an incentive to use better technique and keep momentum over such obstacles. Still, it would be nice to have the traction there.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #190
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
the Pirelli is what Jeff had on his 570 when I bought it... I don't think it matter much really, since we are not talking about advanced trial work-

Also, since you are doing low speed technical stuff, you should be able to go way low in pressure w/a knobby too. As long as you have the rimlock you'll be fine, just go slow to avoid pinch flats, and pump some air back in when you go on the road.

re truck/trail, consider one of those one bike carriers to plug in a receiver - problem solved for $150, and if you have a car you can have installed an invisible mount hitch, so the car looks clean for normal duty.
Yeah, I have run the pressure down to about 8 PSI. I need to get a better gauge though as below 15 PSI it just isn't very accurate.

I have a BMW 3 series - they just are not amenable to any kind of trailer hitch, or I would have got one already. I should have got the VW Beetle instead, but I got a good deal on the Bimmer and it is otherwise fun.

I should have a new job soon - I just hold back from any big expenditures though until I have my normal income again.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #191
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Snow bikes suck the power - especially in the deep powder.
Ice riding doesn't suck the power, but you get amazing hook up which allows you to put it to the ground. In the straights, we usually see 80-90 MPH with commitment.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #192
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Yeah, I have run the pressure down to about 8 PSI. I need to get a better gauge though as below 15 PSI it just isn't very accurate.

I have a BMW 3 series - they just are not amenable to any kind of trailer hitch, or I would have got one already. I should have got the VW Beetle instead, but I got a good deal on the Bimmer and it is otherwise fun.

I should have a new job soon - I just hold back from any big expenditures though until I have my normal income again.
When I use to run SCCA stuff guys would pull trailers to the track with the 3 series alot. Small trailers with just tire sets and tools. You get a good fabricator and they can do it. But then again we are back to that money thing. Trailer+hitch=lots of knobbies(could pay for).
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #193
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr
When I use to run SCCA stuff guys would pull trailers to the track with the 3 series alot. Small trailers with just tire sets and tools. You get a good fabricator and they can do it. But then again we are back to that money thing. Trailer+hitch=lots of knobbies(could pay for).
From what I understand, the newer Bimmers with the E46 body (maybe earlier, maybe later) are not really suited for hitches. I am not saying it can't be done, but that it strongly is recommended you don't do it because eventually you will wish you hadn't.

That plus the fact that some of the places I would want to haul my bike to, the roads are sometimes not what I would want to drive my car down, I just think it would be better to use a pickup. I especially started thinking about this last year when we had the snow and not only did my car suck in the snow, but it got beat up with the potholes and ruts in Oregon during Xmas (I-5 was a total mess).

I have other uses for a pickup, and I may sell the car once I get one, but until I get a job no big changes.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #194
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr
I believe that was from the guy whose bike was really lean. Gain came after re-map with user tool.
Wouldn't these bikes compensate for a different exaust on there own?

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #195
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Maybe,,,I'm picking up a 09 EXC muffler cheap.

The plan is to then get an SX end cap and core. I like the stock look with a little bite.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote