Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #211
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Sorry to hijack but did you like the Motoz rear tire?
Haven't even rode the 990 in the dirt yet . Tires are still bundled up. Going to have to take it down to SoCal where they got good wet dirt right now and not this crappy snow ah, unless that's your thing. I saw the pics, I'm just not that tough.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #212
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr
Haven't even rode the 990 in the dirt yet . Tires are still bundled up. Going to have to take it down to SoCal where they got good wet dirt right now and not this crappy snow ah, unless that's your thing. I saw the pics, I'm just not that tough.
Cool, let me know what you think!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #213
gabrielu
who's a berg?

Oddometer: 440
Husaberg/KTM Fuel Injection User Setting Tool (UST)

[off-topic]
I have the Motoz Tractinator on my SE, and love them- Almost as good as the Teraflex, not nearly as dangerous on street. Highly recommended. Non DOT though... not an issue in WA, but check your state rules.
Now back to 'Who's a Berg' matters...
[/off-topic]

Anybody here has bought the FI management tool?
After looking at the manual for it I am very tempted... Looks like one can change with software the impact of different throttle body angles... like having even slower first quarter turn and then a nice power hit when I need it.

Any fact base opinions? Hearsay? Pure opinions? Wild guesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Sorry to hijack but did you like the Motoz rear tire?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #214
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielu
[off-topic]
I have the Motoz Tractinator on my SE, and love them- Almost as good as the Teraflex, not nearly as dangerous on street. Highly recommended. Non DOT though... not an issue in WA, but check your state rules.
Now back to 'Who's a Berg' matters...
[/off-topic]
FYI, I'm a Motoz dealer I was the first guy to run them on the SE and now everyone appears to be on the band wagon, which is good
Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #215
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,027
CodeMonkee, nice riding with you and Gabrielu today. Those FE570's are impressive and the auto-clutch makes the 570 an unstoppable tractor.
Hope you enjoyed the quick jaunt on my RXV550.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #216
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
CodeMonkee, nice riding with you and Gabrielu today. Those FE570's are impressive and the auto-clutch makes the 570 an unstoppable tractor.
Yes, I had a lot of fun, too bad it had to end sooner than planned and on such a down note. I am debating on whether to go back out today as it is supposed to be even nicer. Right now it is overcast, but I bet it will clear off and be beautiful like yesterday and I need to take advantage of nice days while I can. Someday I will find a job and then I will be limited to weekends.

I would have liked to taken more pics and maybe vids while were riding, but we were too busy having fun. That's probably where a helmet cam would come in handy as it would always be recording. I'll have to get off my butt and get a job so I can justify the expense.

Yes, I enjoyed riding the Aprilia - it was surprising, actually I expected it to be more of a fire breather, but then I took it pretty easy and didn't try to really wind it up. I went out and did some research and went to the Aprilia forum too. It seems they had some teething problems but they are getting them sorted out.

I need to keep the bike in mind as a possible replacement for my Ducati, but first I need to try one on the street with good SM tires/wheels. I don't know about the wind protection though, I just now thought of that - as a naked bike it might be very tiring to cruise along at 80+MPH without so much as a small windscreen.

Still, the appeal of a lightweight bike that could do 100+MPH and still not be a pig on the trails (like a GS or something like that) is something to think about. Then all that HP would be useful in the snow too.

I noticed there that IMS sells a 20L tank for it now - but the thread in the forum suddenly goes quiet on the subject. Is it because you can't hinge the tank up with the IMS?
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #217
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,027
I have that 20liter tank in my garage, just haven't installed it yet, and yes you lose the ability to hinge the fuel tank with just one bolt to get at the air filter. I think the AF1 thread got quiet because those that wanted one, got one and many are still afraid of the bikes old history to use them for longer rides. Too bad, they are missing out.

I was running the 12liter yesterday. My RXV was a late '06 that had some teething problems (since sorted out) but from '08 on they have worked most of the issues out of it. I don't hear of any problems with the '08, '09 etc RXV & SXV's. Aprilia RXV's got quite a bit more headlines this year getting on the Dakar 2010 podium!

The SXV550 is the 'street' SM version with shorter suspension, and a harder hitting powerband. My RXV550 has the latest offroad powerband and nobody riding it yesterday got anywhere near where the power really hits at a 5K to 10K, that's usually too much for anything but open desert or sand/snow.

I need to add one of those FE570's to the stable too...amazing trail bike.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #218
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Yeah, I like it. It is nice to know that I am not completely off track in how I set it up - that other people like it. I think the main thing is the combination of the handling, the Rekluse and the way it puts power to the ground.

I did like Gabrielu's ergos - something worth exploring, but first I have a list of things I want to get /do. Top of the list is the suspension, then the rest will just be items to make it more rounded and convenient for backcountry exploration.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #219
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
Yeah, I like it. It is nice to know that I am not completely off track in how I set it up - that other people like it. I think the main thing is the combination of the handling, the Rekluse and the way it puts power to the ground.

I did like Gabrielu's ergos - something worth exploring, but first I have a list of things I want to get /do. Top of the list is the suspension, then the rest will just be items to make it more rounded and convenient for backcountry exploration.
sorry I didn't get a chance to hook up with you guys. I'm coming off hip surgery (arthroscopic) but am pain free and feeling well enough to ride sometime soon.

Steve
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #220
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Seems like a lot of people getting injured and not being able to ride. Come on guys, get your priorities straight.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:55 AM   #221
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Well do you guys have any pics of your bikes in action?

Let's see em.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #222
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39
Well do you guys have any pics of your bikes in action?

Let's see em.
Unfortunately the action ended when someone broke into Mark's rig. I had my camera but we were having so much fun that I forgot about it until Cyborg had to leave and we took the break to go back to Mark's rig where the breakin put an end to the day.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #223
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Seems like a lot of people getting injured and not being able to ride. Come on guys, get your priorities straight.
not so much injury as wear and tear. what I had done was equivalent to a re-ring. I'm breaking things in now.
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #224
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Yup. That was me.

Yeah, I need to hook up with some people who don't mind my plodding ways. ;) I need to have someone there in case I go over the handlebars or something.
As I see you ride by yourself this might be helpful info for you. Or at least keep the heart rate down a little longer. I had my tank off to put a sensor in. I thought since it was apart and completely empty I would see how much fuel it takes to turn off the fuel light. At 6 pints it was getting dimmer. 7 and the light was out. Figure about 25 miles when the light comes on. I don't know if the fuel pump sucks every drop out of the tank but the fuel pressure return line dumps directly in to the fuel pump module right on top of the filter. What I didn't like was just the two tiny little holes that the fuel would draw in from. They were bigger than a 170 main jet so Husaberg must have figured it out.
I pulled the tank back off so maybe when I put it back on I will just add 1/2 pint and see if it will run. The last time I put two pints in and it wouldn't start. Some knucklehead forgot to connect the fuel line.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #225
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr
As I see you ride by yourself this might be helpful info for you. Or at least keep the heart rate down a little longer. I had my tank off to put a sensor in. I thought since it was apart and completely empty I would see how much fuel it takes to turn off the fuel light. At 6 pints it was getting dimmer. 7 and the light was out. Figure about 25 miles when the light comes on. I don't know if the fuel pump sucks every drop out of the tank but the fuel pressure return line dumps directly in to the fuel pump module right on top of the filter. What I didn't like was just the two tiny little holes that the fuel would draw in from. They were bigger than a 170 main jet so Husaberg must have figured it out.
I pulled the tank back off so maybe when I put it back on I will just add 1/2 pint and see if it will run. The last time I put two pints in and it wouldn't start. Some knucklehead forgot to connect the fuel line.
Thanks for the info.

I once ran out of gas. I was going down a slight hill on the street and the bike stumbled then quit. I could still see gas in the bottom of the front part of the tank from the filler cap. When I filled it up it took 2.2 gallons. So now I know. Generally I fill it up every chance I get - usually just before going out to Machias. That usually results in about 50 miles round trip, so I think I am safe until I get more capacity.

Still working on finding a job so I can spend my money on the tanks now that they are becoming available.