Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
Left
Lauren -

looks like you did some aftermarket work on the saddle. it doesn't look like mine (factory tall seat)

whose kit did you go with?

Steve
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by (sp?)
Lauren -

looks like you did some aftermarket work on the saddle. it doesn't look like mine (factory tall seat)

whose kit did you go with?

Steve
Jeff said he was going to put the tall seat on and when I picked it up it had the Guts seat - or at least the Guts cover.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #19
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Okay, where was I?

I can see where this bike, or one with a little different suspension, would be a great super motard. Even with knobbies on it, the bike felt like I could make any corner at any speed - the tighter the better.

That said, I wouldn't want to ride it very far on the road without a drastically different seat, and changing the gearing a little bit - but I bet, at speeds under 100 MPH, with the right suspension (maybe a few inches less travel and lowered) and the right tires/wheels, the right rider, this bike would kick ass in the tight twisties - and by kick ass I mean it would kick the ass of most if not all street bikes.

On a different note, I filled up the tank just before getting to the trail. I filled up when I got home - 1.4 gallons, 44 miles - 31.4 MPG. I am definitely going to need a larger tank.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:32 AM   #20
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Thumb

[QUOTE=LaurenI can see where this bike, or one with a little different suspension, would be a great super motard. Even with knobbies on it, the bike felt like I could make any corner at any speed - the tighter the better.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, you need two, one with the sm wheels.

Good choice, the best. Keep the thread going. This code monkey here, unfit 55 vintage, with boring manager and even more boring collegues, finding advrider somewhat boring these days, need more threads like this.
ok, I'd better try to work today.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #21
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
On a different note, I filled up the tank just before getting to the trail. I filled up when I got home - 1.4 gallons, 44 miles - 31.4 MPG. I am definitely going to need a larger tank.
I hear ya. I bought a set of these for the interim. they will mount all the way forward on the shrouds and can carry a liter fuel bottle in each.

the bags fasten via the two top cross straps you see plus two at the bottom: one in front and one in the rear. I created anchor points by mounting some folding D-ring tabs on various 6 mm bolts. I will need an exhaust shield for the right rear strap.

and oh yeah, this (former) code monkey turns 55 this year as well...
'05 BMW R1200GS

(sp?) screwed with this post 06-09-2009 at 05:54 AM
Old 06-09-2009, 06:03 AM   #22
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat

Good choice, the best. Keep the thread going. This code monkey here, unfit 55 vintage, with boring manager and even more boring collegues, finding advrider somewhat boring these days, need more threads like this.
ok, I'd better try to work today.
Well, I should point out that I like my job, my colleagues and my manager is good - I just like that song.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #23
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat
Well, I've got the Ducati which is a fun bike too. I had always lusted after a Ducati and bought it on a whim - and I am glad I did. I think if I had a Super Motard I would probably lose my license or crash it. Of course, one of these days I am going to do the ton (I usually do at least once during a ride) and go by a parked cop I didn't see, then that will be all she wrote for my license.

Until then...

It is just that the two are so different - which is exactly what I want - a nice fun street bike and a nice fun dirt bike, not something in between.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #24
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
I hear ya. I bought a set of these for the interim. they will mount all the way forward on the shrouds and can carry a liter fuel bottle in each.
Yeah, I used to recommend that to others as an expedient source of emergency fuel when I was riding an Airhead GS. The Sigg type fuel bottles are almost indestructible and a liter or two of fuel can make the difference between walking/pushing and riding to the gas station.

Still, if you want to push 50 to 100 miles into the wilderness, that solution is not going to get you back out. I would want to double my fuel capacity.

Fortunately we will probably have a solution in the future. I am thinking about getting the Christini 2WD mod though, and that requires a different fuel tank - which I assume they make themselves.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #25
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,413
I stopped by Gunnison MotorSports last Friday. I dropped off my old 650 and spent some time looking at the new bergs. I might have to get a 570. Nice looking bikes, that's for sure.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #26
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Still, if you want to push 50 to 100 miles into the wilderness, that solution is not going to get you back out. I would want to double my fuel capacity.
invite a friend with a KLR, carry one of these...

'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #27
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Which reminds me of something I was going to mention and need to take a pic of: the fact that like my Ducati, the tank goes back under the seat. This is good in the sense that the weight is low and to the rear, but it causes problems. The problem is that if the tank isn't properly vented at the rear then air bubbles form back there and preclude you from properly filling the tank. On both bikes I rock the bike back and forth to help with this. The Ducati has a vent at the rear of the tank, the Husaberg does not and there is still some air trapped back there no matter how much I rock the bike on a flat surface - although it does help somewhat. Maybe running the front wheel up on a steep incline might help.

The tank is so small you have to get every bit you can out of it.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

The brakes are good, but the rear brake is currently too sensitive - it doesn't take much at all to lock up the rear wheel, so I am going to have to see if I can adjust that.

The suspension is good - it is WP after all, but as (sp?) pointed out, the bikes didn't come setup from the factory guys our size. I do think I could use more control and some more initial compliance. I noticed that even on the Elby bridge the roughness of the road came through the suspension in a way that I had not noticed on my street bike.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #29
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
The brakes are good, but the rear brake is currently too sensitive - it doesn't take much at all to lock up the rear wheel, so I am going to have to see if I can adjust that.

The suspension is good - it is WP after all, but as (sp?) pointed out, the bikes didn't come setup from the factory guys our size. I do think I could use more control and some more initial compliance. I noticed that even on the Elby bridge the roughness of the road came through the suspension in a way that I had not noticed on my street bike.
I have Pivot Pegz on my bike. For the first time I am finally able to finesse the brake with my foot on these bikes (dirt bikes). The rotating pegs make a world of difference - so much so that I bought another set for my GS, replacing the Fastways that I liked. I like the Pivot Pegz more.

Since you're in Seattle we should get together sometime soon. You can ride my bike to see how it's different: suspension, pegs, etc.
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #30
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Since you're in Seattle we should get together sometime soon. You can ride my bike to see how it's different: suspension, pegs, etc.
Good idea - sometime soon before it starts raining again?

Gonna take my bike down to Tasky's tonight for the 3 hr check. I'll probably do the work from now on, but I guess maybe I need to find a way to check the fault codes on it and the tool to tighten the spark arrestor.