Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #301
tirebiter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Sorry Code, but I watched your vids.
You need more HP?
Your bike's running fine, right? Jetting's (FI) ok?
Quit over tinkering and stressing over the little stuff and ride..
Seriously.. No sarcasm meant.. Just ride and get more proficient with what ya got.

Dan
tirebiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #302
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter
Sorry Code, but I watched your vids.
You need more HP?
Your bike's running fine, right? Jetting's (FI) ok?
Quit over tinkering and stressing over the little stuff and ride..
Seriously.. No sarcasm meant.. Just ride and get more proficient with what ya got.

Dan
Off-road I don't need more HP - I thought I made that clear with my commentary about the map settings.

On the road and later with a snowbike (usually at higher elevations where the air is thinner), I will probably want more HP.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #303
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Code,are you running the same pressure in your MT43 all the time or still messing with it?and have you noticed any change in handling due to the rear being a bit taller?I'm running the same setup but havent logged many miles,trying to heal ankle sprain.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #304
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoffroad
Code,are you running the same pressure in your MT43 all the time or still messing with it?and have you noticed any change in handling due to the rear being a bit taller?I'm running the same setup but havent logged many miles,trying to heal ankle sprain.
I run 20 PSi on the street and then when I get to the trails I drop it down to 8 PSI. I have tried 10 PSI but that doesn't give me as much traction on the trails. I have tried 6 PSI and that doesn't usually make any difference - although I suppose it might in a really slippery muddy section. There was one section like that two rides ago where I turned around because it was getting towards dark and although the road was only 30 more yards I didn't want to chance getting stuck in this mudhole when I was so tired and there was no one to help me.

On the pavement the bike does handle just a tad different - but not a lot - I trust the trials tire more on pavement than the knobby. It doesn't seem to lose traction as easily. When the pressure is down though, when I ride home from the trails, I do notice that the rear tire flexing considerably more than the knobby did at the same pressure - no big surprise there.

I ordered a GL Mojavi bag and when that comes I think I will start carrying a little stripped down 12 V compressor. No room in my tank bag for more stuff.

I have noticed that the tank bag can actually help me sometimes; if the rear tire is spinning on a root and I am stopped, if I push against the tank bag with my body it helps move the bike forward.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #305
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

BTW, I just learned that there is supposedly a company in Ozzieland that is developing an oil cooler/reservoir for the new 70 deg. engines. similar to the HT Racing reservoir/cooler for KTMs (HT racing cooler below):

They claim it will be better.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #306
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Good stuff.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #307
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
I doubt they need an oil cooler. Got pretty good capacity. Low reving engine. I have been thinking about setting up an oil temp sensor just to see what it runs. You would need a oil thermastat as those street rides you take to and from your trails will keep the oil too cool(with a cooler).
Bergos has a oil thermometer but it is pricey and works off of splash so I wonder just how accurate it is.
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/B...-Husaberg.html

In case that bing translate doesn't work
http://shop.bergos.de/product_info.p...-Husaberg.html

Shameless plug, I am a distributor for oil coolers.
http://www.jagg.com/

They do have a pretty cool small oil thermastat that I have been testing on my 990.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #308
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Well, I took it out for a ride with the hole cut in the seat. I took it up and down several roads where I could test acceleration through the gears. Since I already knew the bike could pop third gear wheelies I did not try full throttle until I was well into third gear. I noticed in fourth gear that it almost seemed like it could bring the wheel up.

Quite a bit louder on heavy acceleration - almost deafening.

Seat of the pants dyno said it seemed to accelerate faster with more 'hit' (a technical term) from mid-range on up. Noticeably more power - it seemed anyway. When you make a change that makes the bike louder you have to be careful about not associating that increased noise with power, but it did seem to have more power - it seemed to accelerate the bike faster.

I came home and put the unmodified seat on to test it back to back - and it did seem that without the hole in the seat the power was a bit lacking from before.

Of course you don't know unless you measure, so a dyno run is in order. If a dyno run indicates that the hole is worth it, then a trip over to Rich's to have a custom seat made on this pan with the hole is probably in the making. The hole will have air filter foam in it so it will breathe. On the underside there will be porous (to air) fabric covering the hole and it will be velcroed to the pan so I can get to the foam. On the top the fabric for that area will be porous but not detachable.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #309
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Don't you move forward on the seat for some corners? You'll be sitting in the hole.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #310
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
Don't you move forward on the seat for some corners? You'll be sitting in the hole.
I don't - but then I don't know how to ride.

Seriously - that hole that you see in the pic is just temporary to experiment with whether it improves the engine breathing and therefore is worth pursuing. If that works, and it seems like it does to me (but I need to run it on a dyno), and I can configure one of the three maps to work well with it while leaving two other maps to work without a hole in the seat (one "aggressive" map for street riding, one 'traction' map for dirt riding), then I will have a local seat maker take the idea and make a seat with the hole in it with the air filter foam in the hole, and porous fabric covering the hole. At that point I don't think there will be any problems with anything getting into the hole; the fabric should cover it well enough to preclude any problems.

Something similar to this is the idea, but with foam in the hole and less of a screen and more of an open mesh/web fabric like what you see on some office chairs or outdoor lounge furniture:

The foam and the mesh should breathe well and only slightly restrict air flow compared to a totally open seat and certainly be a lot better than the stock seat setup.

I have not noticed any real improvement on the bottom end with the hole, at those RPMs and settings where I ride off-road, but then I have not ridden off-road with this. The downside of the mod is that it probably won't work very well with my tank bag, so I will have a choice - either use the maps for the closed seat when using the tank bag, or don't use the tank bag at all anymore.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #311
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
My suggestion is to lose the tank bag regardless of your seat experiment. I've seen it in your pics and there is no way it's not restricting your movement. Back pack or Ogio flight vest.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #312
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
My suggestion is to lose the tank bag regardless of your seat experiment. I've seen it in your pics and there is no way it's not restricting your movement. Back pack or Ogio flight vest.
To each their own. I dislike wearing stuff on my back or even in a vest. It is hard work riding technical trails and all that gear on my back or torso makes me even hotter - I prefer to have it on the bike than on me.

As for restricting movement - sometimes I notice I hit the bag when I am leaning forward, but not much and sometimes it even helps when I get stuck and I can push against it with my body to help me get over or through something. Just the same, I did get the Mojavi saddlebag setup from GL and I think it has enough room for most of my rides, so the tank bag may only come into play when I absolutely need to carry more stuff for longer rides.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #313
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,484
I've looped my 570....so i am thinking about covering the filter up more not less... ....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #314
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
I've looped my 570....so i am thinking about covering the filter up more not less... ....
you need one of these...

a racing map switch from 70 Degree Racing.
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #315
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
There are two things to help with that: