Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #391
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
You mean the last vid I posted here?

Yeah, I was the one who created the vid and made the comment.

You might want to check the Fishead thread in the PNW forum, but basically the word is out that they are closing it to riding. That plus the fact that they are blocking the trails and roads with trees leads me to believe that if it isn't closed by the next time I go out there (been very busy with work) it soon will be.
Bummer, there goes another one.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #392
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Bummer, there goes another one.
Yeah, but it is limited anyway. The main plus about it is it is so close that I can ride to it easily.

But the trails are too short and I am building up some stamina so I am actively looking for a very specific pickup truck to haul my bike to Walker and other places. That and you never know when the DOL will drop a nice little letter in your mailbox.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #393
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Yeah, but it is limited anyway. The main plus about it is it is so close that I can ride to it easily.

But the trails are too short and I am building up some stamina so I am actively looking for a very specific pickup truck to haul my bike to Walker and other places. That and you never know when the DOL will drop a nice little letter in your mailbox.
Walker seems to be the only one left within decent range of the Seattle area. 50 miles from my house. I've ridden bikes up to Walker quite a few times and the distance coming from the South can be reduced a bit by coming in the South Walker entrance (Peter Burns Rd.) Fin Settlement/Granstrom Rd exit off 99 (just after you cross Pilchuck Creek on 9) puts you close to this South Peter Burns Rd entrance on Lake Cavanaugh Rd. More interesting route on a bike too.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #394
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the bike. It goes plenty fast.

I just don't ride fast off-road because:

1) I suck. I am getting a little better, especially now that my suspension was redone.

2) I don't see a need to spin the rear tire a lot or go flying over stuff. I have plenty of fun riding the way I do. Spinning the rear tire a lot just tears up the trail more and doesn't necessarily make you go faster.

You ride your way, I'll ride mine.
Yea, good point.... spinning is how the fast guy do it and also makes you look fast I thought the bike was having a problem, it just seemed abnormally slow to me but I don't spin my tires either.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #395
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Yea, good point.... spinning is how the fast guy do it and also makes you look fast I thought the bike was having a problem, it just seemed abnormally slow to me but I don't spin my tires either.
No - that is mostly me. I am old and out of shape and just by nature slow. If you actually time one of those trails in my last vid and compare it to a previous vid, you will see I did the trail 20 seconds faster the last time I did it (up until I crashed at the end). Most of that speedup is due to the suspension work I just had done.

I need to get out and ride more. When I first started riding off-road again last year, I could not complete one of those short trails without having to stop at least once, sometimes several times, to catch my breath and let the blood get back in my arms. Now I can ride any of them several times over.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #396
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Walker seems to be the only one left within decent range of the Seattle area. 50 miles from my house. I've ridden bikes up to Walker quite a few times and the distance coming from the South can be reduced a bit by coming in the South Walker entrance (Peter Burns Rd.) Fin Settlement/Granstrom Rd exit off 99 (just after you cross Pilchuck Creek on 9) puts you close to this South Peter Burns Rd entrance on Lake Cavanaugh Rd. More interesting route on a bike too.
Yeah, I've thought about it, but the trails are real trails up there, and I am sure I would be totally knackered after riding them. I don't want to have to ride back on my bike all that way after that.

Plus I need the truck anyway - especially if I want to get a snowbike kit. There is just no other way to get a snowbike to the trails without hauling it.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #397
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
I need to get out and ride more. When I first started riding off-road again last year, I could not complete one of those short trails without having to stop at least once, sometimes several times, to catch my breath and let the blood get back in my arms. Now I can ride any of them several times over.

Maybe less Musing and more riding would be a better use of your time
You certainly have the musing thing down pat, I see your posts all over the internet
Old 12-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #398
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
You certainly have the musing thing down pat, I see your posts all over the internet
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #399
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,321
Quote:

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #400
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
At 10,000 some odd posts you seem to be getting a decent amount of ass time behind your screen too!!
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #401
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
I am making hay while the sun shines (i.e., I am working while I have a contract - which will probably end in the spring - I haven't had a day off in over 2 weeks).

Maybe less bitching about my riding and more riding yourself would be a better use of *YOUR* time?

CodeMonkee screwed with this post 12-11-2010 at 09:47 AM
Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #402
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,321

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #403
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
I am making hay while the sun shines (i.e., I am working while I have a contract - which will probably end in the spring - I haven't had a day off in 3 weeks).

Maybe less bitching about my riding and more riding yourself would be a better use of *YOUR* time?

I ride all the time actually, the internet is something I do at night or when I'm at work waiting for things to happen. This year was pretty slow for me riding wise, but I still managed a week in Moab, several days on the MX track, Hancock, 2 days in the Pine Barrons, Sandblast Rally (I won the big bike class by 2 minutes) Black river stages rally and I did the Paris to Dacre rally in Ontario with two other friends on Super Enduro's. It was a 500+ mile one day exodus through the wilds of Ontario. I think we rolled across the finish line in 4th place

Don't forget all the ice riding

10K post is easy, just don't write a novel every time you post
Old 12-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #404
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oh, Monkey, don't be so sensitive I feel your pain, I've been working everyday for the past two months and usually 12 hour days at that. Sure makes it tough to get on the internet and bitch
Old 12-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #405
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
I am old and out of shape and just by nature slow.
Glad to see I'm not alone.