Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #406
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Back on the subject (my riding skill is not the subject here - the bike is); I still have a broken kickstand and I haven't found a replacement.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #407
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Back on the subject (my riding skill is not the subject here - the bike is); I still have a broken kickstand and I haven't found a replacement.
You've inspired me monkey, I'm looking at a 2010 570 left over for a really good price. Should I do it and sell my EXC 400? Thinking of riding baja next year, so power would sure be nice. Care to muse a bit in my direction?

I'm working by the way, just taking a break.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #408
gabrielu
who's a berg?

Oddometer: 440
wow Crankshaft, you are really cool. Lots of riding and lots of working and lots of posting. Good for you mate. You're special.

Now go and piss on some other thread, troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I ride all the time actually, the internet is something I do at night or when I'm at work waiting for things to happen. This year was pretty slow for me riding wise, but I still managed a week in Moab, several days on the MX track, Hancock, 2 days in the Pine Barrons, Sandblast Rally (I won the big bike class by 2 minutes) Black river stages rally and I did the Paris to Dacre rally in Ontario with two other friends on Super Enduro's. It was a 500+ mile one day exodus through the wilds of Ontario. I think we rolled across the finish line in 4th place

Don't forget all the ice riding

10K post is easy, just don't write a novel every time you post
Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #409
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
You've inspired me monkey, I'm looking at a 2010 570 left over for a really good price. Should I do it and sell my EXC 400? Thinking of riding baja next year, so power would sure be nice. Care to muse a bit in my direction?

Given your massive amounts of skill and riding ability and how fast you go compared to me, you should probably ask other owners as I am not qualified to say whether you should get one or not. I would say go over to Husaberg.org and ask there.

Seriously, those guys are much more knowledgeable about comparing the new Hussy to a KTM - I have not even ridden a KTM.

However, from what I have read, almost everybody that has upgraded from a KTM to a 70 deg. Husaberg has said that the Husaberg handles better. There are some quibbles from those who own or have ridden KTM two strokes, but even there the general consensus is that the Husaberg handles very well, especially when compared to other 4 strokes. Very few have gone back to KTM.

One downside is that I doubt Christini will ever make a 2WD kit for the new Hussys due to the engine layout. If you ever had dreams of getting a Christini, then stick with KTM.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #410
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
I ride all the time actually, the internet is something I do at night or when I'm at work waiting for things to happen. This year was pretty slow for me riding wise, but I still managed a week in Moab, several days on the MX track, Hancock, 2 days in the Pine Barrons, Sandblast Rally (I won the big bike class by 2 minutes) Black river stages rally and I did the Paris to Dacre rally in Ontario with two other friends on Super Enduro's. It was a 500+ mile one day exodus through the wilds of Ontario. I think we rolled across the finish line in 4th place

Don't forget all the ice riding

10K post is easy, just don't write a novel every time you post
Quote:
Oh, Monkey, don't be so sensitive I feel your pain, I've been working everyday for the past two months and usually 12 hour days at that. Sure makes it tough to get on the internet and bitch
Quote:

Fuck off
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #411
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar View Post
Fuck off
Its easy to say over the internet ain't it
Old 12-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #412
gabrielu
who's a berg?

Oddometer: 440
don't feed the troll

I know I know, I did feed the troll, my bad.
Here's the fix:

Control Panel
Edit Ignore List
Add a Member to Your List
Type: name_of_the_troll
Press Okay

Move on
Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #413
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

A few observations after riding yesterday with someone else (and getting beaten into the ground because I was out of shape) - not specific to the Husaberg:

1) Having an e-start is very nice compared to a kick start.

2) Having a better bike, especially a bike with a better suspension but also with great tractability, can make a difference - for me especially on technical trails. I think as I get better at riding it will make even more difference. I don't buy the assertion that if you are a poor rider that you should start with a lesser bike; I think the better the bike the better you will do - as long as it is not a fire breathing dragon.

That said, specific to the Husaberg 570. There were many times yesterday I wished I had a lighter bike (not sure that there are many street legal dual sports that are lighter that have Husaberg quality). There were a few times I wished I had the 390 instead of the 570, but not many. The bike just makes a lot of traction going up a hill with that trials tire and you have to stay on top of it to keep the front end down. I am not sure that the 390 would not be that way too, but maybe a bit less power would have helpt at times.

3) Now that the trails are getting sloppy, and I am going a little faster because of the better suspension, I notice the trials tire slides side to side when leaned over a bit. You have to watch it or you go down. IIRC, in my last video, I fell a second time in just such a spot because I came through and wasn't paying attention to that fact. What we need are trials tires with knobs on the side. The trials tire does do better most everywhere else - except on downhills where it isn't scary but noticeable, and when you get stuck in some muck, where it isn't horrible but annoying. Overall for the trails I ride I still like it. There were times when I just motored through stuff where the other guy with a knobby just sat and spun - this was mostly on harder terrain with less mud - if he got stopped somewhere and had to restart, his knobby just sat and spun where I my tire had traction.

4) We were back in there after it started getting dark. The lighting on the bike sucks. The adjustment can't get the lighting down onto the ground very well and the brights are useless as they are up in the trees. On the pavement more than one car thought I had my brights on even though the brightness was poor.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #414
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
That said, specific to the Husaberg 570. There were many times yesterday I wished I had a lighter bike (not sure that there are many street legal dual sports that are lighter that have Husaberg quality). There were a few times I wished I had the 390 instead of the 570, but not many. The bike just makes a lot of traction going up a hill with that trials tire and you have to stay on top of it to keep the front end down. I am not sure that the 390 would not be that way too, but maybe a bit less power would have helpt at times.

Thats why it has a switchible ignition.

If you don't have the switch for your bars,i think there $40.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #415
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Thats why it has a switchible ignition.

If you don't have the switch for your bars,i think there $40.
Yes, the first thing I do when I get to the trails is switch it to soft. If I don't it reminds me real quick like. Still, I could sometimes maybe use a bit less power.

I think tunable traction control would be a good thing on a dirt bike. Maybe even something that you could set to keep the front wheel on the ground.

When electric bikes get more sophisticated, I could see traction control as a feature.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #416
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,048
Hey Codemonk - I just mounted up trials tires on my trail bike but haven't had time to test them out much yet. In researching the trials tire, I did see several comments about losing traction if the bike is leaned over. I guess the alternative is to stand up and use "body english" to try to keep the bike more upright?

PS I did ride on the snow today and the tires worked a lot better than my daughter's half worn out dualsport tires....
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #417
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
I think tunable traction control would be a good thing on a dirt bike. Maybe even something that you could set to keep the front wheel on the ground.
Try a throttle cam on the 570. They work really well down low in the throttle, but give you the same kick up top. Works wonders to take the edge off the 570. I think the 400 cam is the most popular.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #418
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

I brought the bike inside my house this weekend because I wanted to work on it and I have nowhere to work on it outside during the winter.

I tried to drain as much gas out of it as possible using a siphon pump, but some was still left behind (I could not get the hose where the gas was) so I just brought it in that way. After two days of a smelly living room from the gas I had enough. I took the tanks off and moved them in a spare storage room. I tried to drain fuel out of the subframe tank from the drain and the vent, but there was just some gas I couldn't easily get to.

My point is that if you ever have to ship this bike where they absolutely require every little drop of gas be drained, you should dedicate some time to removing the tanks and draining them from the feed hoses and using a siphon pump, then probably washing them out and letting them dry in the open air for a day or two before you ship the bike.

I wanted to strip the tanks off anyway. This is the first time I have stripped the bike down this far (Tasky's did the installation) and I wanted to know how to do it and where things were under there. It isn't too bad.

Now I am going to wrap the silencer so it is less likely to burn my pants, install a header shield (maybe wrap the front part of the header too - the part that goes up inside the tank is already wrapped) and install some new taller handlebars.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #419
Greg Masters
Upon Westminster Bridge

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Now I am going to wrap the silencer (maybe wrap the front part of the header too)
My header wrap didn't last too long. The glass-fibre wrap quickly got frayed and has now worn through. I need to rewrap from the port to the exhaust sensor. It looks like this job will need doing every 20-30 hours.

Greg
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #420
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Masters View Post
My header wrap didn't last too long. The glass-fibre wrap quickly got frayed and has now worn through. I need to rewrap from the port to the exhaust sensor. It looks like this job will need doing every 20-30 hours.

Greg
Ceramic coat the mid pipe and be done with it forever.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote