Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #31
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren
Yup. That was me.

Yeah, I need to hook up with some people who don't mind my plodding ways. ;) I need to have someone there in case I go over the handlebars or something.

jon and I passed you as well.. when the other ff'ers left, jonk and i, (xr650 and gas gas) passed you there at the interesection.. i almost went off the gravel road staring at your berg,
markwoodlief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #32
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
Yup. I just did a google on it and found this:

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...rticle_id=1098

Later. Got to get back to work.

Code Monkey get up, get coffee
Code Monkey go to job
Code Monkey have boring meeting
Boring manager Rob
Rob say Code Monkey very diligent
But his output stink
His Code not functional or elegant
What do Code Monkey think?
Code Monkey think,
Maybe manager wanna write
Goddamn log-in page himself
Code Monkey not say it out loud
Code Monkey not crazy, just proud

Code Monkey like Fritos
Code Monkey like Tab and Mountain Dew
Code Monkey very simple man
Big, warm, fuzzy, secret heart
Code Monkey like you
Code Monkey like yooooouuuuu

Code Monkey hang around at front desk
Tell you sweater look nice
Code Monkey offer buy you soda
Bring you cup, bring you ice
You say no thank-you for the soda 'cause
Soda make you fat
Anyway, you busy with the telephone
No time for chat
Code Monkey have long walk back to
cubicle
He sit down, pretend to work
Code Monkey not thinking so straight,
Code Monkey not feeling so great.

Code Monkey like Fritos,
Code Monkey like you
Code Monkey like you, a lot

Code Monkey have every reason
To get out this place
Code Monkey just keep on working
See your soft pretty face
Much rather wake up, eat a coffee cake
Take bath, take nap
This job fulfilling and creative way
Such a load of crap
Code Monkey say someday he have
everything
Even pretty girl, like you
Code Monkey just waiting, for now
Code Monkey say someday, somehow

Code Monkey like Fritos
Code Monkey like you
Code Monkey like yoooooooouuuuuuuu

can relate
markwoodlief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #33
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Good idea - sometime soon before it starts raining again?

Gonna take my bike down to Tasky's tonight for the 3 hr check. I'll probably do the work from now on, but I guess maybe I need to find a way to check the fault codes on it and the tool to tighten the spark arrestor.
I did the oil change, filter change, tightened the bolts at about that same interval.
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #34
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by (sp?)
I did the oil change, filter change, tightened the bolts at about that same interval.
I just got back from taking my bike down to Tasky's.

Timed it just right; the hour meter ticked over to 3 hours just as I pulled up to his shop.

I figure I'll let him do the first service then do the rest myself.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #35
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief
jon and I passed you as well.. when the other ff'ers left, jonk and i, (xr650 and gas gas) passed you there at the interesection.. i almost went off the gravel road staring at your berg,
Yeah, I was sitting there trying to catch my breath and wipe off some of the sweat - very out of shape am I.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #36
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
I have Pivot Pegz on my bike. For the first time I am finally able to finesse the brake with my foot on these bikes (dirt bikes). The rotating pegs make a world of difference - so much so that I bought another set for my GS, replacing the Fastways that I liked. I like the Pivot Pegz more.

Since you're in Seattle we should get together sometime soon. You can ride my bike to see how it's different: suspension, pegs, etc.
I was just reading about the pegz - I didn't know they existed, but it seems like a good idea.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #37
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

A few comments on the fuel injection.

Not finicky or too responsive - very progressive. Except for the fact that it is so smooth and fairly 'linear' you wouldn't know it was fuel injection (or at least on the power setting I was using).

The only thing I noticed was just a hint of hunting at light load and steady throttle. So light I might have been imagining it. I've had carbs hunt more.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #38
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Today was Husaberg project day.

I finally wired in an ignition switch. For those of you who don't know, the Husaberg is a race bike. As such it lacks things like an ignition switch and steering lock. I sourced the switch from Suzuki - the 2004 DRZ400 has a great ignition switch. It's 3 position: OFF, ON, PARK, with 2 circuits.

I used it to disable the starter. It works. I plan to use the other circuit to disable the fuel pump. I'm sourcing the connectors but it should work also. It will simply turn off the pump and the engine will die.

I fashioned a dashboard out of 1/8" aluminum. It mounts directly to the top triple clamp and covers the area between the headlight mask and the triple clamp. My ignition switch mounts there on the righthand side. On the left hand side is a single powerlet.

I am in the process of converting all of my indicator lamps to LEDs. I found some high intensity panel mount LEDs that only require a 5/16" hole from http://www.radlites.com/led_body_mounts_lighting.htm.

They are bright! I will install a series resistor to dim them a bit.

I also reworked my turn signals. I fashioned some mounts out of 1/8" aluminum stock to mount a set of Hyperlites turn signals http://www.hyperlites.com/turn.html

I will have to install a couple of 100 ohm/2 watt resistors to load the flasher relay. Otherwise they are excellent: bright and look great.

I also completed wiring in a relay with fuseblock. I sourced it all from Jim Davis of Eastern Beaver. www.easternbeaver.com. Good stuff, quick turnaround even though he's in Japan.

I'll post some pics of all this goodness when I get it done.
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 06-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #39
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Today was Husaberg project day.

I finally wired in an ignition switch. For those of you who don't know, the Husaberg is a race bike. As such it lacks things like an ignition switch and steering lock. I sourced the switch from Suzuki - the 2004 DRZ400 has a great ignition switch. It's 3 position: OFF, ON, PARK, with 2 circuits.
I was thinking of putting one or two hidden switches (possibly keyed) somewhere on the bike so that it wouldn't be so easy to start and ride off. But I don't think that would make it that much harder to steal. It is such a light bike that someone could just walk up and walk off with it, pushing it down the street until they could find a place to hotwire it or put it in a van/truck. So for now I have a heavy cable lock on it, which is better than a steering head lock which is super easy to defeat on almost any bike. I am thinking about something more compact that would lock up the bike when I park it while riding.

The thing about my Ducati is that you cannot get it running without the key without replacing both the ignition/FI module and the dash unit, both of which add up to several thousand dollars IIRC, and are not easy to come by (although I think there may be some third party ignition/FI units now). Either way, both bikes are fully insured.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #40
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

I was just thinking that one way to disable the bike without mods would be to pop the seat and pull all the fuses. One supplies power the fuel pump, another the ignition. They are all the same size.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #41
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I was just thinking that one way to disable the bike without mods would be to pop the seat and pull all the fuses. One supplies power the fuel pump, another the ignition. They are all the same size.
a keyed switch is soooo easy. the only hard part is finding a place to mount it. the DRZ switch is a nice one. so far all I've cut is a short jumper into a connector. I can source mating pins for that connector, so no big deal.

I also sourced mating connectors to intercept the fuel pump and have an extra set. with mating connectors you don't have to hack the harness. If I still have the extra connectors when I complete the wiring on my bike they're yours for my cost.
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 06-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #42
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
a keyed switch is soooo easy. the only hard part is finding a place to mount it. the DRZ switch is a nice one. so far all I've cut is a short jumper into a connector. I can source mating pins for that connector, so no big deal.

I also sourced mating connectors to intercept the fuel pump and have an extra set. with mating connectors you don't have to hack the harness. If I still have the extra connectors when I complete the wiring on my bike they're yours for my cost.
I wouldn't mind having a keyed switch, but it is easily bypassed and doesn't prevent someone from walking off with the bike.

I am researching what might be an effective method for locking the bike without carrying around a large, heavy, stiff cable lock. Maybe a disk lock, but those don't prevent someone from physically picking up the bike and putting it in a truck or van - which is what many bike thieves do.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #43
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I wouldn't mind having a keyed switch, but it is easily bypassed and doesn't prevent someone from walking off with the bike.

I am researching what might be an effective method for locking the bike without carrying around a large, heavy, stiff cable lock. Maybe a disk lock, but those don't prevent someone from physically picking up the bike and putting it in a truck or van - which is what many bike thieves do.
if they want it, they will find a way to take it. I just want to make it painful enough that they decide it's not worth the risk.

short of locking your bike to a 1 ton mass there's little you can do to protect it. even a lock easily yields to a grinder.
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 06-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #44
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

I see over on Husaberg.org that Aqualine is going to make rear saddle tanks for the new FEs - 8 liters of gas for a total of 16.5 liters with the stock tank. 4.4 gallons roughly. That would get me 60 miles into the boonies before I have to turn around and ride out.

I think that will be about right. Seal up the subframe for water storage.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #45
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

I put another couple of hours on the Whoosaburger today. I wasn't feeling well Friday or Saturday so I couldn't bring myself to ride those days - which was the right decision because I wore myself out today with just two hours riding. Like I said, I am out of shape and I am using this as an excuse to get out and stop being a couch potato.

Anyway, I had Machias all to myself today. I didn't see or hear anybody else. I imagine they were all off at better places to ride. That's fine - I need to get back into shape to where I can ride for more than a couple of hours and Machias is closest, although limited in area.

A number of things I confirmed:

a) Definitely going to drop down one tooth in the front and try to lower the idle. While I am getting better at riding single track, I really need the bike to go slower downhill and in the tight stuff. I do okay, but I often want to go slower. I do really like the bike - it is very capable and for the most part it is great in the tight stuff which is what I want. Plus, the bike has plenty of gearing for the street - in 6th I am lugging it below about 65 MPH if there is any load, so there is plenty left on the top end.

b) I will say it again, this is a tall bike. I am 6'6" and I can just flat foot it on level ground, but 5 minutes after I took the lousy pic below (I was resting), I got on the bike and put my right foot in a slight depression and down I went with the bike on top of me. THIS is where I am glad I bought a relatively light bike. All else, the power, the handling, whatever, it is weight that will get you down and the less you have the better.

c) The bike gets skittish/busy/front end light above 75 MPH. Not anything scary for an experienced rider, but definitely noticeable.

d) Plenty of power. I have yet to really open the bike up because I have to put another 7 hours on it before I can do that and I am running on the 'standard' setting, so I have yet to experience the 'aggressive' setting which should be interesting.

e) It is really easy to get the rear end light when stopping. It was good I was alone out there because I wasn't paying attention and blew right through a T intersection and went off into the weeds about ten feet. Fortunately there was nothing there but weeds, but it was stupid embarrassing. I had grabbed a lot of rear brake and no front brake - I should have done the opposite - and the rear end was hopping around, even after I felt it and let off the brake.

I still love the transmission - 99% of the time it is very smooth shifting, makes the bike easier to ride. I am getting used to the bike a bit more now and feeling more confident on it. I just have to get back in shape.
Attached Images

CodeMonkee screwed with this post 07-06-2009 at 06:55 AM