Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #61
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana
hey i rode the 570 at taskys demo day. great bike. what do you think about making into an adventure touring bike? compared to say lets say the husky 610
where do I start?

- lack of cush drive
- lack of fuel range
- lack of rear subframe (to hold any luggage)
- lack of oil capacity
- minimal dealer service network

all of these can be solved, with the exception of the last one. even that one can be mitigated somewhat by the fact that the bike is 90% KTM.

if you want to make it a 610, you'll have to add passenger footpegs.
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #62
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana
hey i rode the 570 at taskys demo day. great bike. what do you think about making into an adventure touring bike? compared to say lets say the husky 610
IMO, converting it that way would be defeating purpose of the bike - at least if you do what most people do - farkelize it, put racks and panniers on it, put street tires on it, etc.

I bought the bike because it was a light weight dirt bike in the 400 to 600cc displacement range, with good suspension components and an engine/trans that works across a wide range of situations. Stock, it doesn't have anywhere that you can put a rear rack or a pannier rack on it. You would have to get something custom made - starting with a different subframe. You would also need to spend money on different gas tanks.

Not that I am not going to try to have 'adventures' on it, but I am going to try to keep those off-road as much as possible. It is an expensive bike for a dirt bike and it seems (to me) like a waste to put more hours on it on the road than is necessary to get to a nearby off-road riding area. I am seriously thinking of buying something to haul it (and other stuff) to riding areas that are not nearby rather than ride it on the road. I could ride it on the road, but I would wear out the knobbies on pavement when I should be wearing them out on dirt - not to mention the engine.

I may put a Giant Loop bag on it for extended back country trips. But other than that no bags, no GPS, no radar detector, no bluetooth intercom, no iPod, etc.

If you keep to the spirit of the intended purpose of the bike, sure, you could have some great adventures on it.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #63
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I may put a Giant Loop bag on it for extended back country trips. But other than that no bags, no GPS, no radar detector, no bluetooth intercom, no iPod, etc.
I was with you until the "no GPS" part. Having a GPS is critical for a machine of this caliber which has so little fuel range. Knowing which route to head down can easily mean the difference between walking and riding.

(or getting out of the woods vs. spending the night)
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 07-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #64
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by (sp?)
I was with you until the "no GPS" part. Having a GPS is critical for a machine of this caliber which has so little fuel range. Knowing which route to head down can easily mean the difference between walking and riding.

(or getting out of the woods vs. spending the night)
I may eventually get a GPS to put in a pack, but not to mount on the handlebars.

I've gotten along for the last 40+ years of riding without one. I never get lost, I just temporarily misplace myself.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #65
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
I may eventually get a GPS to put in a pack, but not to mount on the handlebars.

I've gotten along for the last 40+ years of riding without one. I never get lost, I just temporarily misplace myself.
unlike compasses, having a GPS in the pack does one no good. it's equally as important to know where you've been (tracks) as it is to know where you are (waypoints). it's the blend of waypoints and tracks that allows a GPS to do its magic. getting lost and then turning on your GPS is the equivalent of screaming "I'm here at the top of your lungs". It won't help much when you need it most.

think of it as a survival tool. every time you head into the woods ask yourself: 'am I prepared to spend the night here?' if not, take steps to eliminate that possibility. I'm an amateur radio operator (ham) and often bring a handheld transceiver programmed with local repeater frequencies. if something turns to shit, I (or someone) can get to a location where help can be contacted. having accurate GPS coordinates is really important here.
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #66
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
think of it as a survival tool
Exactly and I would add once you get this tool learn to utilize all the functions necessary to maximize it's capacity for your needs.

In spite of illness, In spite even of the archenemy sorrow, One can remain alive long past usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ways. - Edith Wharton

Need a smugmug coupon? Well here you go z0g48s072w1kE
PowerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #67
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
unlike compasses, having a GPS in the pack does one no good. it's equally as important to know where you've been (tracks) as it is to know where you are (waypoints). it's the blend of waypoints and tracks that allows a GPS to do its magic. getting lost and then turning on your GPS is the equivalent of screaming "I'm here at the top of your lungs". It won't help much when you need it most.

think of it as a survival tool. every time you head into the woods ask yourself: 'am I prepared to spend the night here?' if not, take steps to eliminate that possibility. I'm an amateur radio operator (ham) and often bring a handheld transceiver programmed with local repeater frequencies. if something turns to shit, I (or someone) can get to a location where help can be contacted. having accurate GPS coordinates is really important here.
I am going to get a SPOT.

Just because the GPS is a pack doesn't mean it can't track where I have been. But on the Husaberg I am not going to mount it (at least that is what I am thinking at this point in time). Like I've said - I've been out in the woods many times, on foot and in vehicles. I eventually get myself out. Not always the way I planned, but that is half the fun - to me at least.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #68
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerT
Exactly and I would add once you get this tool learn to utilize all the functions necessary to maximize it's capacity for your needs.
RTFM
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #69
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
I am going to get a SPOT.

Just because the GPS is a pack doesn't mean it can't track where I have been. But on the Husaberg I am not going to mount it (at least that is what I am thinking at this point in time). Like I've said - I've been out in the woods many times, on foot and in vehicles. I eventually get myself out. Not always the way I planned, but that is half the fun - to me at least.
SPOT is a decent layman's tool. it's a bit expensive and rudimentary for my liking. it does serve a need and I can see why it sells. when I want to be tracked, I use APRS on my 2M radio, e.g. http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cg...k4hg-8&terra=4

once you have a license and own the equipment, it's free.

GPS work inside a backpack? maybe.

GPS depends on line of site to the satellite. in northern latitudes (like ours) it is often difficult to get a lock. this problem is exacerbated by tree canopies and mountainous terrain. in other words, your GPS is challenged to get reception on a good day in the PNW. why compound the problem by hiding its antenna inside a backpack?
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #70
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
unlike compasses, having a GPS in the pack does one no good. it's equally as important to know where you've been (tracks) as it is to know where you are (waypoints). it's the blend of waypoints and tracks that allows a GPS to do its magic. getting lost and then turning on your GPS is the equivalent of screaming "I'm here at the top of your lungs". It won't help much when you need it most..

no sure what model you use, but i run around the bush with my gps in my pack, recording track, just fine. start it recording when i go in, chuck it in my camelback and pretty much forget about it until i get suitably lost :) pull it out and reference where ive come from and make my way back.. im only using garmin software on a nokia phone, known to not be the most sensitive reciever out there..
V8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #71
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
SPOT is a decent layman's tool. it's a bit expensive and rudimentary for my liking. it does serve a need and I can see why it sells. when I want to be tracked, I use APRS on my 2M radio, e.g. http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cg...k4hg-8&terra=4
The main purpose for me is peace of mind for my daughter and my mom so they don't worry when I am riding, especially on a trip alone. For that purpose, except for the imperfect TX, it should work well.

Quote:
GPS work inside a backpack? maybe.

GPS depends on line of site to the satellite. in northern latitudes (like ours) it is often difficult to get a lock. this problem is exacerbated by tree canopies and mountainous terrain. in other words, your GPS is challenged to get reception on a good day in the PNW. why compound the problem by hiding its antenna inside a backpack?
You can get external puck antennas and for most backpack material it should be virtually transparent. The main thing about forest cover, especially on wet days, is the moisture content and the tree branches/trunks. Backpack material should have no measurable effect on reception. We'll see.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #72
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8R
no sure what model you use, but i run around the bush with my gps in my pack, recording track, just fine. start it recording when i go in, chuck it in my camelback and pretty much forget about it until i get suitably lost :) pull it out and reference where ive come from and make my way back.. im only using garmin software on a nokia phone, known to not be the most sensitive reciever out there..
New South Wales is just slightly south of there, isn't it? I've not been there but I'm guessing it's quite a bit less mountainous and quite a bit less forested than the Pacific Northwest. IOW, you missed the point entirely.

As far as sensitivity, your Nokia (and most current handhelds) would likely have the SIRF III chipset inside - one of the more sensitive GPS receivers around. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiRFstar_III)

Think for a moment why your cellphone has GPS - it's for the authorities to find you in case of emergencies. Having a GPS receiver that can get a position from inside a building is key. Having cell coverage that also can get inside the building makes the system work. There's no cell coverage most places I ride. Compared to rest-of-world, the US is a wasteland when it comes to cellular coverage.
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #73
Powder Muncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Gps works fine through my Aircraft window 1/8" Plexiglas a backpack will not be a issue.
Just a cheap small Garmin GPS is all one needs .
Stick it on the bike and forget it in the dirt put it in a zip lock bag or if you have it on the mount put the bag over it and zip tie it to keep the dust and water/mud of it.
Powder Muncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #74
datol
n00b and improved!

Oddometer: 93
Trailer

Quote:
... I am seriously thinking of buying something to haul it (and other stuff) to riding areas that are not nearby rather than ride it on the road. ...
My riding buddy and I used a Mercedes 300D for trailering for a few years, it was awesome, nice AC, comfortable, quiet, and nothing like showing up for a race all refreshed instead of beat to death by the pick-up you drove over night to get there.

We built a small receiver hitch for it, but now you can buy some small ones for cars.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Trailers...4168-Brand=BMW

The other key is a light trailer.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/mot...e_trailers.htm

Very cool bike, good luck

Dane

We learn nothing from the things we do right the first time.
datol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #75
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by datol
My riding buddy and I used a Mercedes 300D for trailering for a few years, it was awesome, nice AC, comfortable, quiet, and nothing like showing up for a race all refreshed instead of beat to death by the pick-up you drove over night to get there.

We built a small receiver hitch for it, but now you can buy some small ones for cars.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Trailers...4168-Brand=BMW

The other key is a light trailer.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/mot...e_trailers.htm

Very cool bike, good luck

Dane
Thanks, but I've talked to quite a few people about this and they just don't work well - in part because there is no frame, you wind up ruining the underbody and if nothing else you get rust and leaks from drilling holes in the car - not to mention seriously degrading the value of the car. Look around and see how many late model 3 series Bimmers (not an X3) you see running around with a trailer hitch. I have seen none, nada, zip.

I want to haul both bikes - which means at least 750 pounds of weight, not to mention that of the trailer. I also want to haul back in to places I would never drive my car, with or without a trailer. So a truck it is.