Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #76
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I want to haul both bikes - which means at least 750 pounds of weight, not to mention that of the trailer. I also want to haul back in to places I would never drive my car, with or without a trailer. So a truck it is.
or an SUV.

I hauled 3 bikes to Winthrop last weekend on a trailer pulled by our Mercedes ML500. Surprisingly I averaged over 16 mpg for the trip. The trailer I have is aluminum and weighs just over 300 pounds. With the 3 bikes, the total load was about 1100 pounds.

I have an older Ford Ranger (2.9 L, V6) that I could have hauled two bikes with. It would have acheived the same mileage but without air conditioning and the creature comforts that the benz provided.

I've thought about getting an Ultimate MX Hauler for those times when I'd only carry a single bike. http://ultimatemxhauler.com/index.php
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 AM   #77
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by (sp?)
or an SUV.

I hauled 3 bikes to Winthrop last weekend on a trailer pulled by our Mercedes ML500. Surprisingly I averaged over 16 mpg for the trip. The trailer I have is aluminum and weighs just over 300 pounds. With the 3 bikes, the total load was about 1100 pounds.

I have an older Ford Ranger (2.9 L, V6) that I could have hauled two bikes with. It would have acheived the same mileage but without air conditioning and the creature comforts that the benz provided.

I've thought about getting an Ultimate MX Hauler for those times when I'd only carry a single bike. http://ultimatemxhauler.com/index.php
Almost all of the time it is just me, myself and I in/on my vehicles (I am divorced and my daughter has long since grown up and on her own), so passenger space is usually wasted and I want maximum hauling space instead without a trailer. I've hauled trailers of almost every kind before (except large RV types), and they have their own hassles to be considered. I will probably eventually get one, but right now I want just the truck.

I was considering a super/extra cab with a short bed (to keep the wheelbase standard), but then thought about it and decided on a standard cab because that would mean the bikes would fully fit in the bed (length of 7 feet v. 6, 6.5 or 8 ft. bed). By getting a tall enough canopy and a long bed, the bikes can be inside out of sight when I stay at a hotel/motel/etc. overnight. Out of sight means out of mind for thieves and people who would just mess with them out of spite.

I am thinking there will be times when I want to camp over night too and again having the longer bed (with the standard wheelbase) is advantageous.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #78
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I was considering a super/extra cab with a short bed (to keep the wheelbase standard), but then thought about it and decided on a standard cab because that would mean the bikes would fully fit in the bed (length of 7 feet v. 6, 6.5 or 8 ft. bed). By getting a tall enough canopy and a long bed, the bikes can be inside out of sight when I stay at a hotel/motel/etc. overnight. Out of sight means out of mind for thieves and people who would just mess with them out of spite.

I am thinking there will be times when I want to camp over night too and again having the longer bed (with the standard wheelbase) is advantageous.
good luck on that. years ago when I did an exhaustive search, I couldn't find a canopy tall enough to take my bicycles standing up.

this solution has van written all over it. my friend Sam used to haul his 'berg around in a Euro Van. I'd often stuff my KTM inside also and we'd travel up to Walker Valley.

There are other vans but I'd doubt there are too many canopies which could accomodate a tall bike like the FE570.

good luck on your search, do report back!
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #79
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
good luck on that. years ago when I did an exhaustive search, I couldn't find a canopy tall enough to take my bicycles standing up.

this solution has van written all over it. my friend Sam used to haul his 'berg around in a Euro Van. I'd often stuff my KTM inside also and we'd travel up to Walker Valley.

There are other vans but I'd doubt there are too many canopies which could accomodate a tall bike like the FE570.

good luck on your search, do report back!
There are a lot of canopies that are tall, but they are out there. Basically you have to go with canopies/shells/whatever, that are meant for commercial trucks:

http://www.4are.com/product/commercial.php

So far, I have found about three candidates.

I am actually having more trouble find a standard cab truck - almost all for sale are super/extra/quad cabs.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #80
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Have you looked at a Sprinter Van? Great fuel economy, TONS of room for you, your bikes, your stuff, etc. Heck...you could sleep in the back of the thing if you wanted to. And with the tall roofline model, you could stand up in it. Loading is easier. Lots of plusses there.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #81
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray R
Have you looked at a Sprinter Van? Great fuel economy, TONS of room for you, your bikes, your stuff, etc. Heck...you could sleep in the back of the thing if you wanted to. And with the tall roofline model, you could stand up in it. Loading is easier. Lots of plusses there.
I've thought about them, but they are not four wheel drive (unless you spend a lot of money converting them) and they don't have the towing capacity of a full sized diesel pickup. Eventually, when I retire, I want to be able to tow a fifth wheel toy hauler.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #82
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
code monkee

Quote:
where do I start?

- lack of cush drive
- lack of fuel range
- lack of rear subframe (to hold any luggage)
- lack of oil capacity
- minimal dealer service network

all of these can be solved, with the exception of the last one. even that one can be mitigated somewhat by the fact that the bike is 90% KTM.

if you want to make it a 610, you'll have to add passenger footpegs.
let me respectfully respond to your list of "faults" regarding the TE 610:

Lack of cush drive: of no real consequense.
Unless you are banging wheelies constantly on asphalt, shock loads transmitted by a solid hub are dispersed by a spinning rear tire on dirt. Non-issue.

Lack of fuel range: My Husky gets around 60 mpg (calculated). On the TAT going across the Southern Rockies (high altitude, leaned out automatically by the ECM), I got over 71 mpg with a loaded bike, verified by 5 other fellow riders at a gas stop. Obviously, your right wrist determines your gas mileage but the bike is certainly capable of high mileage. 150 miles per tank is adequate; do I want a bigger tank? Sure, but it's not a show-stopper.

Lack of rear subframe, can't hold luggage: HUH???
It does have a subframe, not built like a battleship but adequate. What more can you possibly want to carry? See pic.

Lack of oil capacity: You've lost me here. No it is not a dry sump but I don't understand the point of your question. If you are on a trip and want to change the oil at a selected interval, change it! Ten minutes and a disposible pan from NAPA and it's a done deal. It's not the bike's fault if you can't schedule an oil change in your itinerary. 1500 miles will carry you half way across the U.S.

Minimal dealer service network: When you buy a dirt bike you are generally on your own. Especially if you ride TAT-like, long-distance stuff and are not around your home dealer. Self sufficiency is a given. I have NEVER taken my bike to the dealer (100 miles away) since I bought the bike. There are scores of mail-order (Motoexotica/Husky/Whosaberg for example) that can get you parts quickly. Speaking of dealerships, how many Whosa dealers are there???

Passenger footpegs: funny guy!

To summarize, I am sure the Husaberg is a fine bike. I have a 30 in inseam and ride my Husky with a 37 in seat height. But your arguments about the Husky are not valid. It has a superb trans, more than adequate power, dead-nuts reliable and can haul a ton. Yes it has many quirks (suspension needs tweaking, shitty wiring etc) but none are show stoppers and do need sorting out. You will find faults with your new bike. Good luck with your new bike!
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #83
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
I stand corrected. You were speaking of the 570 Husa, and not the TE, my mistake.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #84
L-Train
Dirt......Good.

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
I was with you until the "no GPS" part. Having a GPS is critical for a machine of this caliber which has so little fuel range. Knowing which route to head down can easily mean the difference between walking and riding.

(or getting out of the woods vs. spending the night)
You most definitely do not need a GPS to know which way to go if you have a decent map and some navigational skills, IMHO.
L-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #85
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Train
You most definitely do not need a GPS to know which way to go if you have a decent map and some navigational skills, IMHO.
you need both. a map will get you by in times of no batteries or poor satellite reception whereas a GPS will direct you to the nearest gas station.
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #86
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
I stand corrected. You were speaking of the 570 Husa, and not the TE, my mistake.
ayup

(though one could make many of the same comments about the former, not current, ilk of TE610)
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 07-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #87
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Train
Maps? We don't have no stinkin' maps. We don't need no stinking maps!

Seriously, I can see the value of a GPS, especially with a decent map system and I plan on getting one - eventually (it's low on my list though).

But I have been banging around in the backwoods in 4x4s, on bikes, on skiis, on snowshoes and on foot, often without a map, certainly without a GPS, for over four decades. As I said before, I have gotten temporarily misplaced from time to time, and I didn't always come out where I thought I was going to, but I am here to tell everybody that I have never needed rescue or help in getting home again.

The best maps don't show all of the roads/paths. They are helpful, as is a GPS. The best navigator can be helped with a GPS (I say this after spending 4 years in the CG with some very good navigators).

What I am saying is that I am not going to mount the GPS on the handlebars of the Husaberg. I may on the Ducati, but not the Husaberg. Why?

1) I don't want stuff like those mounts in the way when I go flying over the handlebars or plant my face on them.

2) I don't want the GPS to be distracting me while I am riding off-road. I am going to be making a lot of decisions that will demand my concentration and my hands on the handlebars. If I need to know where I am I will stop and dig out the GPS and look at it.

I do think I will get a SPOT soon though. Besides the peace of mind that it gives my mom and daughter, it might come in handy if I find myself in a wreck while riding alone off-road. Granted, it isn't perfect, and I might not be able to even get to it to push the 911 button, but if I don't come home it will probably give people a place to start looking. The way a lot of people ride they have a general idea of where they are going, but once they get there they take any of a number of different routes and may wind up going to a totally different destination. That is the nature of almost any ride, whether on the street or the dirt. If you are riding in an area where there is no cell coverage as a lot of people do, it is helpful to have an alternative means of communicating your position (in this case automatically) and if you get into trouble.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #88
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Thread on toy haulers:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377275

I've been thinking about getting a pickup before I bought the bike. The eventual goal was to wind up with something like this:

And follow the nice weather up and down the coast.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe by the time I retire I may give up bikes. I hope not. Maybe I will be satisfied with the more minimal approach of having the bikes in the back of a pickup. Either way, I am going to get a used older pickup for under $10K (hopefully under $10K, these things have a way of winding up costing more - I didn't start out shopping for a $10K dirt bike, I started out shopping for a $2K to $5K dirt bike, but there you go).
Old 07-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #89
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #90
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet
There are places where I go that it is hard or impossible to get trailers into, or at the very least inconvenient. No place to park them. No place to turn them around. Plus, unless the trailer is covered the bike is out in the open, tempting people to steal it or mess with it.