Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #106
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
CM & sp?, I was impressed with how quiet the '09 FE exhausts were, and starting to get fed up with FMF's on a few of my bikes. Even their Q4 "Quiet" Core is too loud, around 96-94dB.

I was wondering if you can tell who made (mfr?) the FE exhaust cans? They look like and feel like (when I rode them briefly at demo day) a performance exhaust, yet remarkably quiet.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #107
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
CM & sp?, I was impressed with how quiet the '09 FE exhausts were, and starting to get fed up with FMF's on a few of my bikes. Even their Q4 "Quiet" Core is too loud, around 96-94dB.

I was wondering if you can tell who made (mfr?) the FE exhaust cans? They look like and feel like (when I rode them briefly at demo day) a performance exhaust, yet remarkably quiet.
dunno, but can reasonably be sure that they're of KTM origin only stamped with a Husaberg part number. the Pro Moto Billet endcap which fits KTMs also fits the 'berg.
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #108
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by (sp?)
dunno, but can reasonably be sure that they're of KTM origin only stamped with a Husaberg part number. the Pro Moto Billet endcap which fits KTMs also fits the 'berg.
sp? thanks for checking.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #109
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Got a Rekluse installed.

So I did some tight trails today. It really does help there. It isn't magic, but it does help you ride smoother because the clutch is more or less self moderating in the sense that you don't need to be working it to keep the bike from stalling. I didn't stall the bike once and there were plenty of instances where I would have without the Rekluse.

The way mine is setup I like it. When going down a hill I don't freewheel because my idle is so low and the clutch is set to engage just above idle, so the only time I go down hill with the bike freewheeling is when I have stopped on a downhill and let the bike roll forward due to gravity and the bike is idling.

As for what some people say about the Rekluse working like a slipper clutch on downshifts/etc. - didn't notice that at all. Once it is engaged it is engaged. The rear tire will skid and so on if you downshift too soon.

The main benefit is that pretty much whatever you do, you won't stall the bike. This frees you up to pay attention and work on other things.

It does take some getting used to, but it isn't that big of a deal. You have to remember that if you apply throttle the bike tries to move forward. If you let it come to a stop and the engine at idle, the bike will roll back if you don't apply the brakes. But overall that isn't that different and is an improvement over dealing with the clutch.

Which brings me to my other observation - the clutch lever seemed useless at first because there was almost nothing there. Well, it still works, it just feels like it is almost not there. Indeed, it is preferable to use it for downshifting to keep the rear wheel from skidding.

Oh, and wheelies. I haven't noticed much difference there, but the bike seems to wheelie easier if anything. I don't wheelie much because about ten years ago I used to wheelie every chance I got until one went wrong and I dropped the bike on my foot crushing it. Seven thousand dollars later (no med insurance at the time), 2 months on crutches/in a cast and a lot of pain, I resolved to not wheelie just for the fun of it.

But even the mighty Husaberg must sleep sometime:
Attached Images

Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #110
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

did you install the Rekluse yourself? or did you have someone else do it? did you install a LHRB?

I'm very tempted just to get the LHRB...

(coming up on 30 hours of runtime and it's still fun)
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #111
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
did you install the Rekluse yourself? or did you have someone else do it? did you install a LHRB?

I'm very tempted just to get the LHRB...

(coming up on 30 hours of runtime and it's still fun)
I had Jeff's mech do it. I don't have a shop to work on my bike - just a carport. I could have done it - but it was easier to have them do it and do it right the first time than for me to mess around with it on the front lawn.

I am thinking about the LHRB or that combo thingy (Clarke?).

I am still trying to get in shape, so when I ride the technical stuff I get tired out easily. I should have rode last weekend, but I wimped out. Today my arms got awful sore and tired, but I wasn't near as exhausted and hot as last time - it was considerably cooler and there was a breeze.

I am very sore and I took a Vicodin half an hour ago. I am going to hit the sack with an ice pack again.

Hopefully some day I will be in better shape and able to ride longer and harder.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #112
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oh, and the Rekluse helps in the downhill stuff too because I don't have to worry about moderating the clutch there either to keep the bike from stalling when I go slow or stop - I just use either or both brakes and go as slow as I want.

Overall, it is a good thing to have. I think the only real disadvantage is not being able to bump start the bike, but hopefully I won't ever have to do that. I do need to learn how to adjust the clutch so that I could do that if I get in a pinch.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #113
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
I had Jeff's mech do it. I don't have a shop to work on my bike - just a carport. I could have done it - but it was easier to have them do it and do it right the first time than for me to mess around with it on the front lawn.

I am thinking about the LHRB or that combo thingy (Clarke?).

I am still trying to get in shape, so when I ride the technical stuff I get tired out easily. I should have rode last weekend, but I wimped out. Today my arms got awful sore and tired, but I wasn't near as exhausted and hot as last time - it was considerably cooler and there was a breeze.

I am very sore and I took a Vicodin half an hour ago. I am going to hit the sack with an ice pack again.

Hopefully some day I will be in better shape and able to ride longer and harder.
I'd be tempted to source a Brembo master clutch cylinder from some ilk of KTM and convert it to a brake (find one which uses brake fluid). The biggest advantage would be in having the same lever. Carry one spare and use it on either side. The unknown is how much fluid does the thing push vs. what your foot cylinder would do. Some actually plumb in a tee so they can have hand/foot/both control of the rear brake.

Good to hear you're still out riding. I've got mine converted to SM trim currently and was in Idaho last weekend riding fireroads, jeep paths and also some twisty backroads.

Steve
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 08-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #114
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
I'd be tempted to source a Brembo master clutch cylinder from some ilk of KTM and convert it to a brake (find one which uses brake fluid). The biggest advantage would be in having the same lever. Carry one spare and use it on either side. The unknown is how much fluid does the thing push vs. what your foot cylinder would do. Some actually plumb in a tee so they can have hand/foot/both control of the rear brake.

Good to hear you're still out riding. I've got mine converted to SM trim currently and was in Idaho last weekend riding fireroads, jeep paths and also some twisty backroads.
Steve
Codemonkee, glad you're enjoying the Rekluse, they are a great riding enhancement.

sp? Rekluse already sells a hydraulic rear brake kit

http://www.rekluse.com/brake.shtml

The "Clake" is the other gizmo, mighty pricey

http://www.clake.com.au/

Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 AM   #115
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
You can use your stock clutch master for a LHRB. Many have, including me, with brake fluid. There is a guy on KTM Talk who makes a brake line just for the app.. I made an adater and used the stock clutch and rear brake line.

Who ever told you a Recluse will work as a slipper on decel doesn't own one. Recluse would never claim such either.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #116
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
Who ever told you a Recluse will work as a slipper on decel doesn't own one. Recluse would never claim such either.
You see it from time to time in threads about the Rekluse. Agreed, Rekluse doesn't make such claims and I think they even have a disclaimer in their FAQ that it doesn't act like a slipper. I just thought I would mention that so it was clear. I wouldn't mind if it did, but it doesn't.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #117
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
The "Clake" is the other gizmo, mighty pricey

http://www.clake.com.au/

Wholly shit! $1180 AUD, $995 USD!!

Too expensive for what it is!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #118
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
You can use your stock clutch master for a LHRB. Many have, including me, with brake fluid. There is a guy on KTM Talk who makes a brake line just for the app.. I made an adater and used the stock clutch and rear brake line.
I think I would want to keep the clutch lever too since it is useful for downshifting and smoother shifting on the street. IIRC, I have seen people who have kept their clutch lever and mounted the Rekluse RHRB.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #119
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oh, and something else. I ran out of gas just after I passed a few gas stations. I could still see gas in the bottom of the tank, but apparently it wasn't enough. I started to push the bike back up the road and some guy came along and loaded it in his pickup to take me back about half a mile.

It took 2.2 gallons.

Lesson: don't rely on being able to see the gas and keep close track of the last time you filled up. I told Jeff I do want the Aqualine rear tank.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #120
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Two more things.

I overheated the bike a bit, *or* when I tipped it over some coolant got on something. I dropped the bike on a really tight uphill. Got up, tried to get up the rest of the hill and shortly I had steam coming off the right rad. Didn't have any other problems and I had to rest after that hill anyway so the bike cooled down.

I hit the rev limiter on the road on the way home going up a hill in third. Very mild compared to the Ducati - but it surprised me, I didn't think I was revving it that high 10.5 is the redline right?