Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #166
JicJac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippydapanhead View Post
So the previous owner wasn't shy about a little pimp job, but... I bet the wheels and carbs are goners anyhow. Replacing the forks, wheels and brakes on the front? When you pull the grab rail and the rack, think about trashing it all and living with the seat a liner with a smaller light and indicators. Goodbye 40 to 50 pounds, right now!
Yeah, I told the previous owner the candycane pinwheel color scheme had to go. I think he was offended. Oh well. I'm going with mostly a John Deere Blitz Black color (tank, fenders, etc.,). I'll keep the white wheels (less the red accent pin stripes) for now ($). I have a tombstone combo tail light - directionals - plate holder going on the rear fender. Keeping the 8" headlight (looking for a rock grill for the light - if anyone knows where I can get one), the seat will go cafe' style, the center stand will come off, etc., etc. Like I said, I'll post pics along the way.

BTW Zippydapanhead - here I am with my sister Pam on my last bike before I crashed it....

JJ

JicJac screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 11:54 AM Reason: type-o
JicJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #167
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
I remember when Yamaha over-produced in '82-'83 to best Honda in sales and it did not pan out to think that "if you build it they will buy it". My local dealer was running a 2 bikes for 1 sale with a Seca 650 thrown in for every 920 Virago.

I see the swing arm changed color... Did you keep the shaft, fiddle with it, or go to a chain?[/QUOTE]

Yep. This is one of those bikes. It sat somewhere in Canada from something like 1984 to 1992 until it got shipped to Holland.

We just painted the swing arm. Nothing changed.
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #168
JicJac
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
I remember when Yamaha over-produced in '82-'83 to best Honda in sales and it did not pan out to think that "if you build it they will buy it". My local dealer was running a 2 bikes for 1 sale with a Seca 650 thrown in for every 920 Virago.

I see the swing arm changed color... Did you keep the shaft, fiddle with it, or go to a chain?
Yep. This is one of those bikes. It sat somewhere in Canada from something like 1984 to 1992 until it got shipped to Holland.

We just painted the swing arm. Nothing changed.[/QUOTE]

The 81 Virago XV290'R and I think XV920RH models (also known as the TR1) was chain drive only. So, the chain is stock. And, for some reason this model is also know as a Seca model..... AND European model. Go figure. It was introduced to compete with the HD Sportster (or so I've read). I like the swing arm construction. I've pondered getting rid of the center shock and going hard tail - maybe with struts. Just not sure yet. This way, I could lower the ass. And, I could let the forks slip up through the triple tree an inch or so to level it off. I haven't made all the decisions. Yes, the carbs are ugly (painted gold) but they are Mikuni carbs - so.... they'll probably stay (NOT gold though). My shovel had as S&S shorty carb, with S&S stroker kit, 80" HD OEM jugs, etc. JJ
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #169
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
The 81 Virago XV290'R and I think XV920RH models (also known as the TR1) was chain drive only. So, the chain is stock. And, for some reason this model is also know as a Seca model..... AND European model. Go figure. It was introduced to compete with the HD Sportster (or so I've read). I like the swing arm construction. I've pondered getting rid of the center shock and going hard tail - maybe with struts. Just not sure yet. This way, I could lower the ass. And, I could let the forks slip up through the triple tree an inch or so to level it off. I haven't made all the decisions. Yes, the carbs are ugly (painted gold) but they are Mikuni carbs - so.... they'll probably stay (NOT gold though). My shovel had as S&S shorty carb, with S&S stroker kit, 80" HD OEM jugs, etc. JJ[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you have Micuni's ? The bike came with Hatachi's . I'm looking for a set of Micuni's to try on my XVr. The Micuni's are flat slide , Hatachi's round slide. I'd think the Mic's to be a step up.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #170
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
920 Virago Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post

We just painted the swing arm. Nothing changed .
So I watched the video on your link... what is on the left side that looks like it has a rectangular lid on it with a cut pipe frame... kinda like an on-board, exhaust-utilizing, sandwich warmer?

They sound sooo good on straight pipes... small block chevy-ish.

The Virago has a single disk on front... will the wheel reverse direction if you switch sides with the rotor... attacking swirl instead of reacting swirl?

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 04:15 PM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #171
JicJac
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
The 81 Virago XV290'R and I think XV920RH models (also known as the TR1) was chain drive only. So, the chain is stock. And, for some reason this model is also know as a Seca model..... AND European model. Go figure. It was introduced to compete with the HD Sportster (or so I've read). I like the swing arm construction. I've pondered getting rid of the center shock and going hard tail - maybe with struts. Just not sure yet. This way, I could lower the ass. And, I could let the forks slip up through the triple tree an inch or so to level it off. I haven't made all the decisions. Yes, the carbs are ugly (painted gold) but they are Mikuni carbs - so.... they'll probably stay (NOT gold though). My shovel had as S&S shorty carb, with S&S stroker kit, 80" HD OEM jugs, etc. JJ

Are you sure you have Micuni's ? The bike came with Hatachi's . I'm looking for a set of Micuni's to try on my XVr. The Micuni's are flat slide , Hatachi's round slide. I'd think the Mic's to be a step up.[/QUOTE]

When I called the previous owner about the bike, I asked him if they were Hatachi carbs. He is a retired YAMAHA service manager. He said they were Mikuni carbs. I just now walked outside and looked at them. There are no manufacturer markings that I can see - and I have not taken them apart to see the slide. However, this page confirms they are probably Mikuni: http://www.vocpics.com/XV-920.htm
Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #172
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
JicJac's New Toy

[IMG]http:s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/JicJac/Virago/?action=view&current=DSCF0555.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket[/IMG]

Maybe bead blast the wheels and clear coat. Cheaper... not white... maybe nice? If you're pulling the centerstand, you might unplug the sidestand kill switch from the harness and remove the switch. If you change the pegs and/or overadjust the shift linkage, you could short it anyhow, so...

The PO really liked the paint. I see he got the twelve pound rear fender. If you change the shock... you'll save weight by dumping the adjuster knob and linkage. You could keep the shock, dump the adjuster and cables and just run the schrader valve to the side with a cable tie. At 20+ years, that shock is probably begging for retirement.

If you pull the fender you can slide down on the fork tubes about two inches without contact... and those plastic aero covers on the coils could be tossed... maybe a steering damper mount there and bigger coils?

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 12:49 PM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #173
JicJac
Adventurer

Quote:
[IMG]http:s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/JicJac/Virago/?action=view&current=DSCF0555.jpg" target="_blank">[/IMG]

Maybe bead blast the wheels and clear coat. Cheaper... not white... maybe nice? If you're pulling the centerstand, you might unplug the sidestand kill switch from the harness and remove the switch. If you change the pegs and/or overadjust the shift linkage, you could short it anyhow, so...

The PO really liked the paint. I see he got the twelve pound rear fender. If you change the shock... you'll save weight by dumping the adjuster knob and linkage. You could keep the shock, dump the adjuster and cables and just run the schrader valve to the side with a cable tie. At 20+ years, that shock is probably begging for retirement.

If you pull the fender you can slide down on the fork tubes about two inches without contact... and those plastic aero covers on the coils could be tossed... maybe a steering damper mount there and bigger coils?
Good ideas Zip! I've started the mods, but it's slow sledding. I have an avalanche of work (self-employed) anchoring me to the computer 12-14 hrs a day 6-7 days a week. Arrgggg. I should have updated photos by Monday. Heading to New England (Boston and above) for a few daze R&R next week. So, it'll be several weeks before I get the bike on the road. My idea is to set it up enough to get rid of the PO ugliness and ride it for a while to make sure the engine, exhaust, carbs, suspension, etc. is good to go - before I start investing more than labor and paint. Dig?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #174
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

. He said they were Mikuni carbs. I just now walked outside and looked at them. There are no manufacturer markings that I can see - and I have not taken them apart to see the slide. However, this page confirms they are probably Mikuni: http://www.vocpics.com/XV-920.htm[/QUOTE]

According to my Hayne's manual , which covers all the air cooled V's from '81 to '03 they all had Hatachi's until 1988. From '88 on all got Micuni's. He may very well have changed the carbs, but, what I see in your pics sure looks like the Hats.
You can easily verify by pulling the hose that connects the inlet side of the carb to the airbox/frame.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #175
JicJac
Adventurer

Quote:
. He said they were Mikuni carbs. I just now walked outside and looked at them. There are no manufacturer markings that I can see - and I have not taken them apart to see the slide. However, this page confirms they are probably Mikuni: http://www.vocpics.com/XV-920.htm

According to my Hayne's manual , which covers all the air cooled V's from '81 to '03 they all had Hatachi's until 1988. From '88 on all got Micuni's. He may very well have changed the carbs, but, what I see in your pics sure looks like the Hats.
You can easily verify by pulling the hose that connects the inlet side of the carb to the airbox/frame.[/QUOTE]

I'll check the location you mention (above). Does the Hayne's manual cover the TR1, R, RH (chain - not shaft) models? According to this chart: http://www.vocpics.com/XV-920.htm , they could be Mikuni carbs. And, like I said, the mechanic was a retired YAMAHA service manager and HE told me they were Mikuni carbs.

Also found this entry: The real reason lay in Yamaha's choice of carburation and valve sizes. choosing to keep the 40mm Mikuni instruments found on the 920cc TR1 models as well as the large diameter inlet and exhaust valves. This leads to a very heavy breathing 750cc engine.......

JJ
Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #176
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

I have a XV920RH and a XV920RJ . The Haynes covers the chain and shaft models and TR1 [chain] version.The earlier motors with chain and shaft in 920,980 and 750 sizes all used the 40mm Hatachi carburators.
All models switched to Micuni's in 1988.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #177
JicJac
Adventurer

Quote:
I have a XV920RH and a XV920RJ . The Haynes covers the chain and shaft models and TR1 [chain] version.The earlier motors with chain and shaft in 920,980 and 750 sizes all used the 40mm Hatachi carburators.
All models switched to Micuni's in 1988.
I can't argue with that. A little later I'll run outside and see if I can find the identifying markings and at least take a better photo of the carbs for your review. Now I'm really curious. *inquiring minds...

JicJac screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 07:33 AM Reason: Added Information...
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #178
JicJac
Adventurer

If you are indeed correct about the slide type, then yes, these are Hitachi carbs. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #179
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
The 81 Virago XV290'R and I think XV920RH models (also known as the TR1) was chain drive only. So, the chain is stock. And, for some reason this model is also know as a Seca model..... AND European model. Go figure.
The "Seca" label was applied to Yamaha's sporty bikes of that time so it natually got applied informally (and erroneously) to the XV920R bike, which was sportier than its sister bike, the XV920 Virago, and so was therefore obviously a Seca. There was a Seca 900 but that was an inline 4. The "Euro" tag was another descriptor used to distinguish it from the Virago, meaning a bike of the European style rather than the American cruiser style. The R bike never had a name in the Yamaha lineup other than its XV920RH/RJ designation, and it's not a "chain-drive Virago" as lots of folks have called it. Once you've owned one of these you become a little sensitive to that aspect of it. I've even encountered employees at Yamaha dealerships who would swear (and have at me) that "All Yamaha V-twins are Viragos." Them's fightin' words to anyone with one of these bikes or a Vision, but let's not even go off on that tangent. Vision folks have plenty of problems already.

The Europe-only TR1 was actually a 980cc bike and stayed in production for several years longer than just the two that we got, and the tailsection got restyled for a more integrated look about the third year in.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #180
JicJac
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
The "Seca" label was applied to Yamaha's sporty bikes of that time so it natually got applied informally (and erroneously) to the XV920R bike, which was sportier than its sister bike, the XV920 Virago, and so was therefore obviously a Seca. There was a Seca 900 but that was an inline 4. The "Euro" tag was another descriptor used to distinguish it from the Virago, meaning a bike of the European style rather than the American cruiser style. The R bike never had a name in the Yamaha lineup other than its XV920RH/RJ designation, and it's not a "chain-drive Virago" as lots of folks have called it. Once you've owned one of these you become a little sensitive to that aspect of it. I've even encountered employees at Yamaha dealerships who would swear (and have at me) that "All Yamaha V-twins are Viragos." Them's fightin' words to anyone with one of these bikes or a Vision, but let's not even go off on that tangent. Vision folks have plenty of problems already.

The Europe-only TR1 was actually a 980cc bike and stayed in production for several years longer than just the two that we got, and the tailsection got restyled for a more integrated look about the third year in.
Wow! Sounds like you really know your designations. And daaaaum, the Seca is hawt! Thanks for the clarification. I've owned several Virago skoots - none over 750cc. So the 920, 980, etc is all new to me.

I'd like to expose the chain for the cafe' style I'm looking for. Any comments? At this time, I don't even know how the chain (in the casing) is oiled. I will eventually "look it up".

Thanks for the info!

JJ