Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #106
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
The yellow flat tracker style is so nice. I raced a XV920RH in BOTT for a few years in the '80's. I remember how funny is was to push that lead sled through the Camel Pro race tech guys. They always got a laugh about the weight. So getting those cast spiral wheels off would save a ton. You can slide the triple trees down the stock fork tubes about 1.25" to add a little quick to the steering. Pull the rubber caps off because you will getting a little tight. The hot shoe carb was del Orto pumpers for carbs at the time. The rear swing arm weighs a ton and I think there were some off label options from the yz's and tz's just prior that would help. Sorry... I don't remember the year and model. Yamaha was trying to put together a Jimmy Felice flat track effort, I think Mert Lawwill was involved too, and they put together some chain drive 750 engine combos for the effort. I think Axtell was involved. So after they abandoned the effort they were selling the remainder off through Cycle News in like 1983 or '84. The flat tracker was interesting but they put so much adjustability into the frame that they might still be working though set up formulas. Plenty of power. Some of the photos show removal of the two piece engine crank cover. You'll see the viewing glass (Yamaha liked doing this on stuff around that time) and the center hex cap cover in the middle is a match for the inspection cover on the enclosed chain. One is silver and one is black for a cheap accent. This system was nice on the street but weighs a total ton. Remember no O ring chain if you keep the enclosed system. You can run with the chain system "empty" and use spray chain lube, but the chain will clang like a bell against the housing if you don't keep the rubber boots on. I see a lot of the folks keep the little plastic "spoiler" above the front cylinder. It really did nothing and if you pull it and run bigger coils, it will keep them cooler. Remember to kep your plug wires equal length. The rubber bellow on the stock carbs, generally the back, will sometimes suck in and allow air leaks. Watch them... and drill/pick out the covers on your stock carbs to be less lean... they were factory sealed and easy to overlook. You can swiss cheese the air box and keep the filter, but ya gotta do sumthin with that air horm/rubber velocity stack. The RH's were cherry red (81's) and the RJ's were silver and black (82's). I see Chris Steward mentioned. He rode the '82 in BOTT production and Yamaha had some contingency money in '82. A west coast ghost... you'd see him at the start and the finish. The shock has a remote rebound (I think I remember) adjust on the frame. Also weighs a ton and the cables stretch. That stock also had air preload. Dump it and buy something that reflects what weight changes and riding you'll do. The earlier YZ parts bin or aftermarket was the way to go. The lock and chain weighed a ton as did the nearly useless rear fender (it mounted to the swing arm to add more unsprung weight!) I would lose them and the lock box behind the seat. That unbolts with two screws and then reposition the tail light. The grab rail is an easy removal, it takes the '80 goofy look away and drops another ton of weight. The 2:1 exhaust is such a good idea, but it did look bulky and bulbous. You can punch out the baffle, but as old as these are now, let is rest and switch the system out. You need a fork brace and to update the brakes. The stock fender is heavy up front too.The rotors are a solid as a rock... at least have them patterned. The rear drum is in need of some holes to lighten things up. I saw one of the bikes with drill outs on the foot peg frames. They are so heavy. Raask made rear sets for it, but I didn't like the quality or the positioning. I liked the stock location... just a little higher. The side stand ignition lock was a pain. The rear set links could pinch it an produce an open circuit. Easy to unscrew it and short iit out to allow it to run. and I ran it with clubman bars and clip ons. It is a big tank to reach through with clip ons. I had two RH's. One track, one street. Loved those big horses. The era forYamaha was a good one to be able to hair dryer heat the gold plastic medallions off the tank and side covers. Speaking of starters, the TR1, europe and Canada, too, had 980cc bore and was a easy upgrade, and I think their version of the marbles in a can starter was better. This was improved in the later years (through the 80's at least) Viragos in the states, too. Speaking of weight, that is quite a battery, too. Right out of a Mack truck. This has to be replaced with a smaller one... my gosh it is huge!

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 04-17-2011 at 11:16 PM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #107
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,493
I am pretty sure Chris Steward won the stock production BOTT title on the XV in 82, with factory money. That's what Chris told me anyhow.

Maybe 83 as well?

Michael Shilts rode the XV in a couple of stock production BOTT races in 81. He said the ducs had 10+ mph top-end on him.
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #108
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Mike Shilts

Gee Whiz, Knoxy,

Mike Shilts is a name I haven't heard in almost 30 years. I have a memory... probably goofed up over time... of Mike (in like 2nd or 3rd place) sliding out low side on an inline four at Grattan, Michigan in like '82 and the bike dragging him and he won't let go... like an asphalt superman... and Mike continually blipping the gas to keep it running with the rear wheel spinning like mad until he got to he clutch... so he could just pull up and go as soon as he stopped sliding. The stock XV was weak for top end. You could regear but the enclosed system made it difficult unless you ran open.

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 03:42 PM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #109
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Looking for one?

For ejunker and anyone else looking for one of these, I have an '81 I could part with. Can I say that here? Not really 'for sale', as in 'ready to put it in the Flea Market', but not something I'll be getting any use out of for a few years. In a friend's garage Ohio, been sitting for a year as I'm in Germany. (I've seen three or four of the TR-1's here already.) PM me if you're interested in chatting about it. Looks a little better in this photo than it looks in person.

More photos at https://picasaweb.google.com/jbar28/YamahaXV920R#
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #110
SthrnSqrl
n00b

Oddometer: 4
jbar28, What would you have to have for it? I'm also in Ohio. What part of the state is it in?

Da Skwerl
SthrnSqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #111
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
I had one of these in the early 80's and put a reasonable number of miles on it. I'd been interested since reading the road test on their release and really wanted to get my hands on one as it looked to be a perfect tourer. I never took to it though - the motor felt very 'soft' for a big V, and I was used to big BMW twins. Just didn't feel like it had the torque you'd expect. No real issues apart from those mentioned below, but I didn't miss it when it had gone a couple of years later.

Good points: easy to work on, good suspension, very comfortable and very quiet on the road, enclosed chain kept the chain and sprockets in incredible condition. Think I only had to adjust it a couple of times in the time I had the bike, and pulling the cover off showed the works were pretty well as new. Ran pretty smoothly (few vibes) and loafed along on 60mph cruise.

Bad points: You could hear the starter motor half a mile away and the rear carb used to blow off the boot, despite replacing the boot a couple of times. Even tuned up properly it would backfire every now and then. Fuel consumption was pretty ordinary too, quite a bit more than my R100 on the same runs.

(Mine was the Australian model - XV1000, same as the European one.)
Scrivens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #112
choppahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
We had an '81 for a couple of years. Toured quite a bit on it. Rode it out to Sturgis in '82.
Did my best to 'chopperize' it, as I really wanted another HD.

Overall it was a great bike. The starter gave out on another trip out west in '83. I think my wife pushed that bike half way across Colorado to bump start it!

Finally sold it after 3 years or so for the FLH I really wanted. That FLH became not so affectionately known as the 'Antichrist'! But that's another story....
choppahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #113
rdtbull
Have a Plan

Oddometer: 14
My BOTT 920

Brought it out of Storage going to light it up soon.
Attached Images

rdtbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #114
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Nice 920 Racebike! Are those Lectron carbs or Dellortos? Marvic wheels? Would love to hear more about the mods on this one! I see that you have made some recommendations a couple posts up the thread.

Maybe a video of it running?
ctune80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #115
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 695
Selling my XV920R

I have my XV920 for sale over in the flea market. Real good running, clean bike with a few mods; Supertrapp, K & N, fork brace, Sargent seat, SS brake lines, carb jetted.

I did replace the neon yellow spark plug wires with something a little less NASCAR too.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736564

motorcyclefanatic screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 07:27 AM
motorcyclefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #116
rdtbull
Have a Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctune80 View Post
Nice 920 Racebike! Are those Lectron carbs or Dellortos? Marvic wheels? Would love to hear more about the mods on this one! I see that you have made some recommendations a couple posts up the thread.

Maybe a video of it running?
Thank you, Just got it out of storage will make run shortly. Flat slide 38 (40 bored by sudco) Mikuni Carbs.
Branch Heads/Megacycle Cams/Venoli Pistons/ Falicon Crank, ETC. Motor is very cool.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #117
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtbull View Post
Thank you, Just got it out of storage will make run shortly. Flat slide 38 (40 bored by sudco) Mikuni Carbs.
Branch Heads/Megacycle Cams/Venoli Pistons/ Falicon Crank, ETC. Motor is very cool.

As ctune said nice and tell us more.

Suspension ? Brakes ? Race weight ?

Do you remember the flatstock aluminum framed bike that Britt Turkington rode?
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #118
rdtbull
Have a Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Yes I remember the Aluminum Frame Built in Austin out of Kasson's yamaha. (I will think of his name!) Used cardboard templates, then traced on aluminum, all done in his apartment. He was fast himself!

Mine was built using parts from old race bikes and salvage at House of Wheels Yamaha Houston TX
Has FZR1000 Front Brakes and the front forks/ rear shock were done at H.O.W., Rear Brakes are Lockheed Rego. I think Wheels are old Campagnelo's (True magneasium wheels). I do not remember race weights. I will need to look at old BOTT Tech inspections.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #119
rdtbull
Have a Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

I remember his name now: Vernon Davis Built & rode the bike. He worked at Bill Kasson Yamaha Austin Texas
Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #120
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post
Found a deal on one semi locally, so I have been noodling around for inspiration.

just wondering....has anyone tried to build one with two front cylinders? would kind of clean up the aesthetics of that forward facing carb.