ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #5641
terrybunker
Sand Whale

Oddometer: 4
being stupid

Sorry all,
I cant seem to get a pic on here...
whats the trick?
terrybunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #5642
Cuff
no function beer well w/o

Oddometer: 729
Long story short some of us were sitting around at work talking about bikes. One of my co-workers mentioned that he had a friend who wanted a bike out of his driveway. I asked what he had and how much. He said it was an 81 Goldwing and that he just wanted it gone. Oh, ok I'll come pick it up but I'm going to give the guy a case of beer. It was in pretty rough shape from sitting outside for a couple of years but the PO was smart enough to top up the tank and add some decent stabilizer. Flash forward 12 days and a grand total of $513.80 out of pocket for everything from a new battery to the last drop of WD-40. My wife and kids even got in the act cleaning and polishing. Boy, that aluminium foil and water trick sure does the job for cleaning up chrome. Some of the before and after picks of the chrome parts are unbelieveable.

You see, I gave away a couple bikes in the past (one running one not) to friends who wanted to get into riding. Payed it forward since one of the bikes was given to me for some beer. Karma smiled on me.
Tear down.

Wife and kids getting into it.

Before and after chrome.

Finished.

IBA# 38547

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...er/1446/sort/3

Cuff screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 05:27 PM
Cuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #5643
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuff View Post
Long story short some of us were sitting around at work talking about bikes. One of my co-workers mentioned that he had a friend who wanted a bike out of his driveway. I asked what he had and how much. He said it was an 81 Goldwing and that he just wanted it gone. Oh, ok I'll come pick it up but I'm going to give the guy a case of beer. It was in pretty rough shape from sitting outside for a couple of years but the PO was smart enough to top up the tank and add some decent stabilizer. Flash forward 12 days and a grand total of $513.80 out of pocket for everything from a new battery to the last drop of WD-40. My wife and kids even got in the act cleaning and polishing. Boy, that aluminium foil and water trick sure does the job for cleaning up chrome. Some of the before and after picks of the chrome parts are unbelieveable.

You see, I gave away a couple bikes in the past (one running one not) to friends who wanted to get into riding. Payed it forward since one of the bikes was given to me for some beer. Karma smiled on me.
Tear down.

another nice old wing put back into service
Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #5644
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybunker View Post
Sorry all,
I cant seem to get a pic on here...
whats the trick?

Doesn't look like skydrive is too friendly for posting pictures. If you select "view original" and then grab the link for the window that opens up. Then when you bring up the "reply to thread" select the insert image icon and paste that link in the box. But you need to re-scale your image to about 800x600 or it will be too large for most people's screens.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #5645
CuberBob
Starter

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuff View Post
Boy, that aluminium foil and water trick sure does the job for cleaning up chrome. Some of the before and after picks of the chrome parts are unbelieveable.
Fabulous looking final product...

Aluminum foil and water... 'Splain, please

Thanks!
Bob

2006 Concours

RIP -80 KZ750, 09 Ninja EX500
CuberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #5646
Cuff
no function beer well w/o

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuberBob View Post
[/INDENT]Fabulous looking final product...

Aluminum foil and water... 'Splain, please

Thanks!
Bob
For the chrome I followed an old wives tale. You wet the surface you are working on with water. You then wad up some aluminium and rub. Within 2 swipes the worst rust comes off. Apparently the aluminium breaks down into aluminium oxide. This oxide attacks the rust and the water just wipes it away while. The results are cheap and awesome. It also gets melted rain pants and road grime off pipes without any worry of scratches.

IBA# 38547

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...er/1446/sort/3
Cuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #5647
grumpy-1944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Harley Honey & Bonnie Bill

This is the first long ride MLW took (with me), from Hanford, CA to Morro Bay, Ca. Over 200 miles round trip. This is where we stop and stretch, let some feeling return to our ---es and rehydrate.

She has since rode to Elk Grove, Ca up Highway 49 (Gold Country), over 200 miles one way. We stayed three days and took the same route home. I know, without pictures, it didn't happen. Our camera was stolen but the next time we take that same trip, and I get home wit my "new" camera, Pictures will be posted.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #5648
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy-1944 View Post
This is the first long ride MLW took (with me), from Hanford, CA to Morro Bay, Ca. Over 200 miles round trip. This is where we stop and stretch, let some feeling return to our ---es and rehydrate.

She has since rode to Elk Grove, Ca up Highway 49 (Gold Country), over 200 miles one way. We stayed three days and took the same route home. I know, without pictures, it didn't happen. Our camera was stolen but the next time we take that same trip, and I get home wit my "new" camera, Pictures will be posted.
Looking good lad. You just missed the 10th annual Bonneville Rally in Cambria (about 20 miles up Hwy 1 from Morro Bay) last weekend. The ride launch featured a short speech by the CEO of Triumph America, who flew out from the east coast to join us for the event. Also had the restoration-in-progress of the Gyronaut X1 Triumph streamliner that set the LSR back in the 60's, and gave the Bonneville it's name.
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #5649
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084

Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #5650
tkwetzel
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Here is my 2012 V-Strom with painted Touratech Zega Pros. Hopefully I will have some better pictures (not in a parking garage) soon.

tkwetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #5651
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
Great idea, looks nice with matching panniers.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #5652
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwetzel View Post
Here is my 2012 V-Strom with painted Touratech Zega Pros. Hopefully I will have some better pictures (not in a parking garage) soon.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #5653
uliandim
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
While the picture of the GS is not especially noteworthy, thought I'd share this pic because just about every tree you see (close and far away) in this photo was consumed by the 137,000 acre Hayman Fire (still burning but contained) in the Pike National Forest. Pikes Peak is about 50 miles to the SE. Had lunch on the log to the right. Not a single vehicle passed during lunch. Saw fringe portions of the burn area two nights ago on a ride. Moonscape with black tree sticks. Hope to take the GS in the fire area when the main roads are opened up. While forest fires naturally occur, kinda sad to know this one was human started, claimed 133 homes, and the forest will not return to the way it looked in this photo during our lifetime.
Nice bike :)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #5654
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sum View Post
That was going to be my next bike instead of buying another Speed Triple, but Kawasaki chose to screw owners with the model designation. You *must* be getting raped on insurance my friend!
It depends on the company... USAA wanted $700 a year more than what I'm currently paying with GEICO. Screw that noise.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #5655
loosesprocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
2012 V-Strom 650

Givi Crash Bars, Yann Skid Plate and Rad Guard, Pro Taper ATV High Bars, Madstad 18" Adventure Shield in Lt Gray w/ Madstad Bracket, First Gear Silverstone Tank Bag, CooCase Top Box not installed yet.

loosesprocket is offline   Reply With Quote