User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
been saved OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Why I ride ADV Riding with my family!

This ride report will, I hope, include quite a few rides and be added to by other folks we come in contact with as we ride.

I wonder sometimes if riding is really necessary, it truly can be a pain in the neck, a drain on funds and tiring so why do I feel compelled to do it?

I will start off with the past:

WEELLLL I started controlling a motorbike when I turned 6, I think

and when legs allowed I graduated to this (insert pic of CB 750) but my riding days began earlier

behind my Dad and even earlier

as just a future thought of old Grandpa, yep old WWII Harley in Jamaica. My Dad took that old Harley over from my Grandfather and of course promptly crashed. He was soon straightened out and continued to ride, I guess it goes from generation to generation. I began riding that Big ol 750 when I was 16 (yes I took the MSF) while working at the Harley shop (boy did that make me laugh) and I promptly crashed it after rerouting the throttle cable and leaning into a corner. WOT and a tight right hander do not mix (ATGATT HAHAHA nope shorts t-shirt and evil kneviel coloured open face with no padding). I tried in vain to pretend that the crash did not hurt but dear ol Dad saw through it; chuckled and not only let me keep riding but BOUGHT a bike so we could now ride together (life happened and he had not had a bike in a while). Of course teenage years can be a bit of a challenge and I did not fully appreciate the gift that my Dad had given me. I rode that bike until I was 21 replaced it with a wore out 66 mustang and bikes were secondary to say the least.

The Present:

I now have my own kids and one of them is entering those great teenage years and it is a girl. What to do, what to do, I pray about it, I inform some boys that they may be shot if I see them again and I want to spend time with my daughter that will give us a story to tell and QUANTITY time together (can’t have quality without quantity). This my fellow riders is a TALL order, but hey I am 6’-0” with a 32” inseam I can see over most opportunities and letting my finely tuned engineering mind work on it I come up with some guidelines for success.

a) Time must be spent without talking (as I can say the wrong thing FOR SURE)
b) The activity must require “full commitment” (this way neither one backs out)
c) The activity must be exciting (makes it easier to tell a story)
d) The activity must teach life lessons

I had a few other side points but these were the main ones. I mulled them over with my wife and we saw only one option, motorbikes. The very next day I began poking around and I found ADVRider, I exposed my daughter to it and she was fascinated with the ride reports, and the individual color and flair of the personalities of the writers/riders. The next week I picked up a 01 DR200 and a 91 DR650. This was starting out great! Even the wife was starting to ride. Wouldn’t you know all this riding had us pining for a move that afforded us some more room and more gravel roads, we prayed again and then decided to pick up some land west of Atlanta and build ourselves a place as money allowed. Ain't nothin' wrong with a 700’ driveway is there?

This was working out great, and then the next inline started to want to RIDE he was four,

Well that was great, the three of us would ride (sometimes even four of us when another one would tag along)

And ride and ride, whenever we would stop the busyness long enough to just enjoy each other. Then my Dad looks at all this and says, “hey lets go ride the TAT” ( I had been sending him ride reports….) and he buys this

And starts learning a whole new kind of riding. I figured that was about as good as it could get until my wife looks at me and says “I want a side car, so we can go for an evening ride with all the kids”

We have not purchased one yet but a friend we met at the BMW shop mentioned he had one for sale and we could “test it out to make sure you are a sidecar family".

Now I must admit this is a special kind of nirvana, to get all this seat time but the tale gets even more “bikey” (that should be a word) during Thanksgiving we go with my three siblings and their better halves and all the family to highland park and rent bikes for a day of riding, this was EXCITING as all they had available were KTMs. Talk about tall and fast.

My 20yr old sister who has NEVER ridden a dirtbike mounted up on a KTM 300 4 stroke and tried her best to not let anyone see the fear that surely accompanied that first throttle pull that lofted the front tire. Nobody crashed in a big way (well except for my brother in law but he signed my up for a 12 hour adventure race the next week where we got lost in a swamp for 7 hours …… )

The Future:
After this escapade a plan begins to formulate, since we have been going out to Colorado every summer for the past 15-16 years lets tie a motorbike trip into it!!! I mentioned it to the Daughter and she says “Bring it on I can outride you old man” (pretty tall words for a shorty) so we pitch the idea to Mrs Been Saved she says “I think you should do it the week before our regular trip and we will fly out and meet you for a second week”. OHHH YEAAH this is gonna be good, Dad and I talk and he is, as it were “in like Flynn”. So now a plan begins to form:

THE PLAN: Leave Westcliffe Co on the TAT trail and follow it until Ouray, at that point head south to Dolores and link up with Gaspipe’s trail to get up on the Uncompagre plateau and then up past the gilsonite mines and to dinosaur then hightail it back to Westcliffe to meet up with the second week arriving family. 700+/- miles of riding in 6 days.

So here we are, less than two weeks out from the trip we have laid out a course to ride, we all have bikes, we have a shop to check carbs etc when we get into Colo ( we are trailering to Westcliffe as I have business in Fayetville Ark) we have even been able to get in some test rides together with dear ol Dad (he lives in Florida).

been saved screwed with this post 06-21-2009 at 07:24 PM
been saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
been saved OP
Adventurer

3 days to blast off.

Well it is almost time to leave (only three more days!!) I will have some pictures tomorrow, but today we got the giant loop bag mounted on Pa Been Saved's bike. This was a little more difficult then I anticipated....The bag is very weel made but I do not like the mounting system, it least I do not like it if I am going to take the bag on and off with any regularity, I instead double nutted the screws to the bike and wingnutted the bag to the double nutted screws. We shall see how this works out.

Been saved
Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,388
Alright then, your thread title has been fixified as per your request! Looks good.. the family that rides together, has fun together!!

Thanks for the family history intro!! Sounds like you have a great ride planned.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
kbear
Mudbiker

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by been saved
Well it is almost time to leave (only three more days!!) I will have some pictures tomorrow, but today we got the giant loop bag mounted on Pa Been Saved's bike. This was a little more difficult then I anticipated....The bag is very weel made but I do not like the mounting system, it least I do not like it if I am going to take the bag on and off with any regularity, I instead double nutted the screws to the bike and wingnutted the bag to the double nutted screws. We shall see how this works out.

Been saved
I just mounted the Giant Loop bag on my '08 KTM 450 EXCR (street legal). I have the same opinion of the mounting system. It is a royal pain! They need to do something with that. Having said that, it does stay put once it's on and it holds quite a bit. If you need the contents to stay dry you have to put it in plastic bags or it will get wet. I recently got back from a ride that included a full day (250 miles) of steady rain, 30 mph winds and temperatures in the 40's. The bags got wet inside, but I had my down sleeping bag and clothing items wrapped in plastic, so they stayed absolutely dry. See the RR here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473391

I'm looking forward to the rest of the story. I really enjoys tales that include family. It seems to me that sharing the adventure with the ones you love most is what really makes it all worthwhile. I took a long trip out west last year, but alone, and many times I found I wishing my wife were there to share the views of His handiwork that I was experiencing!

Sincerely,

kbear
kbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 434
If you put as much detail in the RR as you did in the intro, it's got to be a winner !!
I'm in your saddlebag !! .. and don't forget the camera

Like kbear, I too enjoy tales of family rides ... go for it !!
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
kbear
Mudbiker

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by french horn
If you put as much detail in the RR as you did in the intro, it's got to be a winner !!
I'm in your saddlebag !! .. and don't forget the camera

Like kbear, I too enjoy tales of family rides ... go for it !!
Hey there, French Horn,

I see you're from Bundaberg! Just wanted to say I like the rum that comes out of that town. Was there back in '04 to visit my daughter who was attending McQuarrie Univ. for a semester. We travelled up to Cairnes by plane and found out about the rum from one of the tour guides we talked to. Too bad we can't get it here. Next time I get to Australia it will be on 2 wheels for sure.
kbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
rainebow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Hey this is the daughter

and i have to hurry cause my dad is on the way back to the hotel and we have about 12 hours to drive today. We are officially on our way !! He had some work i Arkansas so i have hanging at the hotel all morning and now we are about to leave. Just wanted to give everyone a little update.

We have some pics and stuff that we will post later with a little more detail of what's been going on so far.... :o)

later

rainbow
rainebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
rainebow
Adventurer

Wink

here are a few tech pics of the bike bag mounting systems

this the giant loop on the 350

and here is what will protect the bag from the exhaust on the 650

more stuff later!!!
raine
Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
PsychoSayWhat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435

great idea on the wingnuts!
PsychoSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear
Hey there, French Horn,

I see you're from Bundaberg! Just wanted to say I like the rum that comes out of that town. Was there back in '04 to visit my daughter who was attending McQuarrie Univ. for a semester. We travelled up to Cairnes by plane and found out about the rum from one of the tour guides we talked to. Too bad we can't get it here. Next time I get to Australia it will be on 2 wheels for sure.

Any time Kbear, I got a big shed for your bike ... and Bundy rum is a 12 minute run from here
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
rainebow
Adventurer

Here We Go

Well my dad gave you the history and the plan. And now I am going to tell you all about the planning. And the packing. And the stuffing. And the cramming.
For weeks we looked at map, GPS points, and mapping software. My dad wanted a completely planned route programmed into our GPS. That was DEVESTATINGLY time consuming and frustrating. While I was out of town for 2 weeks in New Mexico, no mapping was accomplished and while I was home for only a week and a half before we had to leave again, no mapping was done. We have a highlighter line on a map and a few hotel reservations so I say we're good to go. (I was against the whole map-it-out idea from the beginning. :o))
Since there was no mapping to be done I spent my time doing laundry, changing truck tires, swimming, sleeping, shopping, getting my nail done, apologizing to my friends for having summer plans, meeting with and calling my college advisor, signing up for classes, talking about getting a car, thinking about getting a job, rescuing goats, getting sun burnt, and going to church. Oh yeah, and packing for a 3 week long trip. :oP
Being a girl I had much consternation about what to pack and what to leave behind. This made packing a very difficult and emotional experience that I prefer not to discuss.

Day One - Tuesday, June 23, 2009
In the Car
So once I had assuring all my precious, well-meaning, but sometimes slightly shallow, friends that I would return in one piece and make them coffee ASAP, we left our humble abode. Here is my dad explaining to our trailer, Johnny, that he had to follow the truck, June, because the operation certainly couldn't work the other way around.

After we got that cleared up we waved goodbye to the rest of the family

and headed down the driveway. But we were accosted by some unusally hostile and financially minded goats who demanded we pay a toll of $50 to leave. My dad quickly set them straight

and we were on our way.
We had planned to drive about 5 hours toward Fayetteville, Arkansas but my dad had made it home later than planned so the new plan was to figure out what we were going to do.

Here I must take a moment to explain something. I am 17 years old and a female, and my dad is 33 years old and a male. We have different tastes in music. In some cases, not so different, but in others, extremely and painfully different. This resulted in much light heart bickering and channel changing during the entire ride.

My dad's work was paying for the first two nights of hotels, so I requested a Hampton Inn (I like their pillows ). At about 11PM we found one in Tupelo, MS and decided that that was a far as we could manage to get. This was the most ghetto fabulous Hampton I had ever witnessed. But they still had soft sheets and very fluffy pillows, even though the room about 5 miles away from the car. Hotel heaven.

Day Two - Wednesday, June 24, 2009
In the Car...Still

We arose early (enough) and continued on our way to Fayetteville. We still had about 7 hours to go. The ride was full of this

I was ignored and felt a complex forming in my psyche.

I managed to make it to Fayetville without resorting to hysterics or tantrums. My dad's work there is one the college campus (Arkansas State) so he showed me around there and the historic downtown. There were some neat sites there.

This a frat house!! If only I were a boy!

(frat house)

In case you can't see the writing this is courthouse. We could hear sirens and I wanted a shot with the police car going by the court house but, alas, my dreams were shattered when the light changed.

This last place looked fairly interesting but we couldn't quite figure out what it was.

My dad has a hotel he likes to stay in when he's working out there but it was full so we tried the Hampton (business benefits :)) but it was also full so we had to go 8 miles down the road to the OTHER Hampton. Now you may think we are snobs, but since work was paying for it and we are likely to be in some not as nice places while riding I asked for some nice places while it was on someone else's bill. So here I am with Johnny and the bikes at the hotel.

My dad dropped me off here and promised to return for dinner, so I hung out and did my hair (yes I sprung to pack the flat iron...).

When my dad returned we walked to the joint next to the hotel for dinner. It was called Marketplace. I was, once again, ignored as we waited for our table, but business is business and business pays for just about everything I do... so...

I will show you my emotions on the matter of the ignoration.

The resturant was nice. We had a really nice waitress and the atmosphere was relaxed but not too Cracker Barrely. I liked it.

Our waitress informed us the Dead Swanky was a hair salon. Good to know. Here's the food, which we enjoyed.

This is my dad's.

And this is mine. It was good.

Actually our waitress said she wanted work there soley because of how good the salad is that my dad got. We ate and chatted with our waitress and decided to order this

It's called a "Mini Mess" and is pretty much a disassembled Reese's with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream. AKA Heart Attack in a Cup.
Here's the deal: the dip the entire cup in melted Hershey bars and then stick it in the freezer. When you order it they take the cup out of the freezer and fill it with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream and drizzle the cup and plate with whipped up Reese's peanut butter and nuts. Here is how you eat it: you scrape your spoon down the side of the cup and across the plate and they dip it inside to cup and eat it. It's deadly. Anyway, our waitress, Andi, took this pics of us

so we took this pic of her... :o)

We returned to the hotel, soaked in the hot tub, and while my dad worked, I watched more TV (just to liquify my brain a bit more) and I tried to figure out how to post pics from Flickr, which I finally figured out thanks to Baldy (you da bomb!!!). I think we passed out around 1:30AM.
*snore*

rainebow screwed with this post 08-02-2009 at 01:46 PM
Old 06-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
been saved OP
Adventurer

Hmmmmmm

This could get interesting with two different perspectives

However for those who are wondering the bikes will shortly become free and the riding will start We are in Trinidad tieing up some loose ends and then we will be jumping into the land of NO CELLPHONES!!!!!!! (I imagine the daughter #1 will be pleasede with that )

I did not even know the truck and trailer had names.....wait a minute I get it .... maybe.

More to come.

Been Saved
Old 06-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #13
rainebow
Adventurer

Wicked And It Keeps Coming ...

Day 3 - Thursday, June 25, 2009
Still in the Car... Ouch

Well we needed to drop the bike as the shop, Valcom in Trinidad, Colorado, by 9AM on Friday. We didn't leave Fayettville until midmorning, so we were in for a late night of driving. My grandmother owns a small coffee shop in Des Moines, New Mexico, so the plan was to crash there for the night and then got up in time to make the hour drive the Trinidad the next morning. I chilled at the hotel until my dad was done working and then we he got there we quickly loaded and we got out of Fayettville around 10AM local time. we drove for a while on I-40. As I am sure all of you know, bathroom stop are essential on a trip, and being just over 5 feet tall and a girl , my bladder can only handle so much. This kindly old gentleman made sure I didn't explode.

As we were driving through Oklahoma we spotted a sign the the Route 66 Musuem, so we decided to check it out. My back was hurting pretty bad from spending so much time the car, so I welcomed the reprive. Just as we were pulling my dad shoved me out of the car with the camera and hollered "Take a picture of Johnny and June!" Alright already. All he had to do was ask nicely.

These tough looking guys were standing guard, I guess from bulldozers,

and these guys made few lewd comments as I passed by.

I ignored them as any lady would do and continued on my way.

We paid a steep $4 each to go through all four sections of the musuem. This little guy was in the the transportation section. I named him Gus.

We were then accosted by . My dad screamed like a little girl and commenced to run . , he screamed. But the musuem ladies and I managed to sedate him and explained that it was just the drive in movie simulator. Whew.
We then saw this neat old plane

that I am certain could fly all the way around the world today if it wanted to.
They had a whole room dedicated to everyone's favorite vegetarian.
It kinda freaked my dad out but I think he was just intimidated.

Well for the sake of the quality of the post and the fact we need to check out of this hotel I will have to save the rest of our Route 66 adventures for later and hopefully I will have some actualy riding to report.

later
rainebow

rainebow screwed with this post 08-02-2009 at 11:26 AM
Old 06-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Condolini
Fountain of useless info

Oddometer: 2,065
Being just over 5 feet tall and a girl isn't an excuse for anything, even a weak bladder.

Looks like you're having fun so far, keep it up!
Condolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
mrs been saved
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Too busy ridin?

OK, so the build up has been great, but... Are you too busy riding and taking it all in to give us an update?? Or are your bums too sore to sit and type? Missin ya ! I can't wait to see the rest of the story!
mrs been saved is offline   Reply With Quote