ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
McFlyMpls OP
Gumby...don't ask...
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 39
SYM HD200...more great info

I ran across a website in my quest for more information regarding the SYM HD200. This guy has gone above and beyond as far as making an already great scooter even better:

Jeff's SYM HD200 ("firedrake") webpage

I haven't tried, but it looks like he makes some mean hotsauce, too.
McFlyMpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,652
McFlyMpls,
I'm going to look at a used SYM HD200 on Thursday.
Jeff also has a long thread with mods and reviews of the HD200 at
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index...ay&thread=9202
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Ural Yamal
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
McFlyMpls OP
Gumby...don't ask...
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 39
Barnone,

Good luck getting the bike, I'm sure you won't be dissappointed.
McFlyMpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
HBrew
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Oddometer: 47
More information

Another good review can be found at: http://www.justgottascoot.com/symhd200.htm
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
McFlyMpls OP
Gumby...don't ask...
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew
Another good review can be found at: http://www.justgottascoot.com/symhd200.htm
I'm familiar with JGS and the author of the site, Dave Harrington. A great, knowledgeable guy. I've talked to him a couple of times at Scooterville here in Minneapolis.

Check out his podcast archives for some great internet talkshows about everything 2 wheel related.
McFlyMpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
SpannerX
Adventurer
 
SpannerX's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlyMpls
I'm familiar with JGS and the author of the site, Dave Harrington. A great, knowledgeable guy. I've talked to him a couple of times at Scooterville here in Minneapolis.

Check out his podcast archives for some great internet talkshows about everything 2 wheel related.
Great show, and site, one of the first I started to read when I got interested in getting a scoot mostly because of the Stella. Unfortunatly can't get those here in this part of Canada, and I don't think we have a SYM dealler either, atleast not one close enought to make it worth while. Too bad, I'd love an HD200, it's the perfect size for around town.
SpannerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
jhuth
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jhuth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Northern VA-DC
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlyMpls
This guy has gone above and beyond as far as making an already great scooter even better:

Jeff's SYM HD200 ("firedrake") webpage
.

That is one crazy ass website
__________________
"Art is what you can get away with." -Andy Warhol
jhuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
McFlyMpls OP
Gumby...don't ask...
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerX
Great show, and site, one of the first I started to read when I got interested in getting a scoot mostly because of the Stella. Unfortunatly can't get those here in this part of Canada, and I don't think we have a SYM dealler either, atleast not one close enought to make it worth while. Too bad, I'd love an HD200, it's the perfect size for around town.
Get ready... the 4 stroke Stella is coming!
McFlyMpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlyMpls
Barnone,

Good luck getting the bike, I'm sure you won't be dissappointed.
McFlyMps,
I bought it today and it is in my basement. It'a 2008 with now 59 miles after my 19 mile test ride.
Seems to have plenty of power and good handling but I was taking it easy on the test ride since it was like new, not mine, and very new to me. Last scooter I had was 40+ years ago. I built it from plans. Have had many bikes since then, going up and down the displacement ladder, but am now back to where I started from.
Tomorrow, after reading the owners mnual tonight, I'll check the fluids,tires,etc,.
Saturday there is a scooter ride in Alcoa,TN at the SYM dealer
http://www.alcoagoodtimes.com/default.asp
I'll take her from my home in Robbinsville,NC to Alcoa,TN via the Dragon.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Ural Yamal
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer
 
Bugtussle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Yoncalla, Oregon
Oddometer: 530
Good one Vince !! I'm also really envious of your stable. You've got a sweet combination of bikes there.
__________________
2014 KLR650 NE

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugtussle
Good one Vince !! I'm also really envious of your stable. You've got a sweet combination of bikes there.
Thanks, Bugtussle from Hogwaller.
I've got a wild hog waller up the mountain here in NC. Them wild hogs are always tearing up my pasture here and at my little ranch in Florida.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Ural Yamal
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW La. (USA)
Oddometer: 312
OK if no local dealer?

Howdy,

SYM's HD200 looks to be right up my alley. Only problem is the nearest SYM dealer is a good 150+ miles away. Only local scoots available are Honda, Suzy and Yammy-that's it!
I'd love the chance to thumb my nose at the local dealers who stock only the S'wing , Burgman Executive and 49cc scoots. Would you buy the HD200 with no local dealer handy? Or would you reward the local dealers who refuse to sell Kymco or Sym?

Larry

PS: I know a young local mechanic who has assured me that he'd be more than willing to perform routine maintenance on any Sym or Kymco I might bring him, fwi. (NW Louisiana isn't scooter country!)
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:23 AM   #13
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer
 
Bugtussle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Yoncalla, Oregon
Oddometer: 530
Im 90 miles from the nearest dealer. I do all of my own service work though. They are easy to work on and anyone with a service manual(which can be downloaded for free)can work on one. The only thing that can come close to the HD200 is the new Honda 150. The price on it is way out there. I havent heard of any top speed figures on it yet. When I use the HD200 for my commute I have a 46 mile round trip. 30 of those miles are on the freeway and cruising at 65 in no problem. It has pulled me to an indicated 74 mph on the flats.
__________________
2014 KLR650 NE

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
rhys
Beastly Adventurer
 
rhys's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 1,661
I have looked at, visited and revisited, pressed my nose up to the glass, asked about, talked about, and considered financing one in December when really low interest was available....
There is a power tool, lawn mower, tractor dealership 50 miles from here with a couple blue, a red, and silver 2007 HD200's..... $3,000 out the door.

I want one.
I would modify the plastic under the handlebars so I could flip them, then install some bar-end mirrors on 'em. Because I have a 27" inseam, I would shave the seat and have it covered with leather. I would like to install a plate to the luggage rack so I could swap my Givi top box between it and the Bandit. And the blue paint job is high quality stuff!

I rode a 2009 model with it's rear disc brake, and found the disc to be more effective at stopping the SYM than the front brake. Taking it on a wannabe highway, I got it up to an indicated 72..... which I believe is a real 68 mph. The factory tires followed the rain grooves too easily though, and I would likely change them out.

But I still owe my "overdraft protection" line of credit $1,200 and I'm anxious to look at a Beemer w/Lester mags and a 2-1 exhaust, low mileage R100..... and it's got that really sexy stylistic half fairing.

What to do, what to do.
I want a scooter, and though the HD200 doesn't look scooter'ish enough for me, I think it's the best 'little' scoot out there. But since peering in at a blue toaster tank Beemer on the showroom floor in '72, I jus' GOTTA have me an airhead someday!

SYM HD200..... I say -- GO FOR IT! --
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker
Howdy,

SYM's HD200 looks to be right up my alley. Only problem is the nearest SYM dealer is a good 150+ miles away. Only local scoots available are Honda, Suzy and Yammy-that's it!
I'd love the chance to thumb my nose at the local dealers who stock only the S'wing , Burgman Executive and 49cc scoots. Would you buy the HD200 with no local dealer handy? Or would you reward the local dealers who refuse to sell Kymco or Sym?

Larry

PS: I know a young local mechanic who has assured me that he'd be more than willing to perform routine maintenance on any Sym or Kymco I might bring him, fwi. (NW Louisiana isn't scooter country!)
Larry,
Sym forum at http://symforum.com
I've had mine for 9 months and haven't taken it to the dealer for anything. Did order a new air filter over the internet.
I would buy a HD200 without a local dealer but I do all my own maintenance on my bikes. Your local mechanic should be able to take care of you.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Ural Yamal
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014