Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
brian81 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Can you see anything intresting?

Well, I have finally finished planning my rout across America. I have 3 months to do it in, I should be OK. Here is a link to the gpx file. If you have any suggestions on cool places, roads, or anything interesting around my rout, I would love to know about it. I really have no schedule, so I can pretty much go where I want. If you know of any cool things along my rout let me know!

Just right click and save as!!!!!!!!!!!!

brian81 screwed with this post 06-17-2009 at 07:01 PM
brian81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,648
Can't get it to work as a .gpx, I get a .xml document
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
brian81 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Can't get it to work as a .gpx, I get a .xml document
If you right click and save as it will work
Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,709
Do you really want me critiquing it? I love coming up with routes on maps.

First major thing I see is you owe it to yourself to cover the entire "going to the sun road" in Glacier National Park. You have yourself coming in and going out the same way. Its well worth it to do the entire thing if it will be open when you go through there.

The other thing I just noticed is you do have interstate sections down in the SW. For a 3 month trip and only covering 10k miles which leaves you plenty of time to take your time and explore, you owe it to yourself to stay off the super slab. Just a quick glance even looks like you are on more major highways in places then I would choose. I've down 6k miles over just 2 weeks and hardly ever touched the interstate. I stay on back roads and even sometimes find cool gravel roads to go hit, but that may not be your thing. I envy you to have that amount of time to go on a MC trip, so don't waste it hitting the slab. Find those out way back towns and old deserted highways no one travels anymore.

I'm still going over it, I'll be back with more feedback!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Just curious before I go looking at this more?

I'm wondering if your GPX file had everything or if all the route info is actually being loaded correctly?

For example, if I look around the BRP, right at the state line of VA/NC. As you come down through VA, you are following the BRP and there a bunch of blue "via point" flags marking your route. Once it crosses into NC, the blue flags stop, the route jumps off the BRP, and gets on I-77 to I-40 over no the next waypoint where the BRP ends?

I would think you would take the BRP the entire way? So is this displaying correctly on my machine where in shows you taking the interstate there? I'm thinking there's a whole bunch of blue via pt flags missing to keep it on route along the BRP? if you took the time to mark the beginning and end of the BRP, I would assume you would plan on following the entire thing???

I might try DL the file again and see if I get something different. I don't think my MapSource tried to re-calc the route when I opened it.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Moose_DK
No stress

Oddometer: 589
USA trip waypoints

Hi
I made the attached GPX for our USA trip..
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462173

Its just a lot of waypoints of places we could visit.. maybe you can finde something you could use.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx usa trip waypoints.gpx (45.9 KB, 56 views)

Our RR: M & M Touring the states. July 2009 to January 2010
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post10289818

Our danish blog
http://touringthestates.blogspot.com/

-------------------------
morgen stunden har guld i munden
men kan også ha ondt i hovedet
Moose_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Okay, I DL it again, but same thing. It just looks like that particular section of the BRP, you don't have any via points forcing it to stay on it?

I did notice though like after you get off the Natchez Trace Pky around Jackson MS, you have it basically following I-20 towards Dallas, but staying on a highway just off of it. Same thing from Dallas to OKC following I-35, and then once again, from OKC almost all the way to CA as you follow a highway just off I-40? Is there a reason you are basically following the interstates even if you aren't quite on them?

I'm not sure how much you have traveled before, especially out West, but I would definitely be trying to put some distance between me and the interstates. Sometimes in the NE, its hard to avoid them because everything is so crowded, but out west especially, enjoy the wide open spaces. Get out away from the everyday travelers because even traveling the highway right next to it, you aren't going to see anything except everyday chain type gas stations and places to eat. Find all the little mom and pop places to eat, small little gas stations to stop at and just find the people that haven't traveled more then 100 miles from their little bitty town their entire life. That is the type of memories and experiences that will make a trip like this.

Get off on state highways away from interstates and even secondary roads. Your trip will be so much more enjoyable. I'd also try to avoid some of the big cities you are going through unless you are just going there to visit someone.

Do you have an avg number of miles you like to cover in a day? Are you camping at all or just hoteling it the whole time.

I'll send you a link, but my wife gathered different GPX files that people have put together of places to eat. One of them is called Diners, Drive In's and Dive's from a TV show by that name. Basically its all these little hole in the wall places you would never know existed, but are just awesome little treasures. I think another file is called "Ride to Eat" and I forget what the other one is. All said and done, I think combined its 1300+ places to eat through out the US.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
I'll send you a link, but my wife gathered different GPX files that people have put together of places to eat. One of them is called Diners, Drive In's and Dive's from a TV show by that name. Basically its all these little hole in the wall places you would never know existed, but are just awesome little treasures. I think another file is called "Ride to Eat" and I forget what the other one is. All said and done, I think combined its 1300+ places to eat through out the US.
Okay, here's the files I was talking about. The one I couldn't remember is Road Food. The last file has all 3 put together. It looks like I can only upload 1 at a time, so I'll post 3 more with the rest.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Diners_Drive_Ins_and_Dives.gpx (138.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Ride to Eat
Attached Files
File Type: gpx RTE.gpx (454.4 KB, 110 views)
Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Road Food
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Roadfood.gpx (160.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

All 3 files combined.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx DD&D,Roadfood&RTE.gpx (615.4 KB, 153 views)
Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
brian81 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies. I will be doing "going to the sun road", where I enter parks and major cities I didn't bother mapping everywhere I'll go. I'll be spending a few days in these types of places and who knows where I'll end up.

As for the interstates I went back and looked at it, and I did notice there are places where it routed me to an interstate. I will try and avoid the super slab at all costs. It looks like I'll have to go back threw the entire rout and correct it.

I plan on camping as much as possible and am going to try some boondocking, which should be interesting. Thanks for the places to eat I will definitely check them out.

keep the suggestions coming
Old 06-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
brian81 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Same thing from Dallas to OKC following I-35, and then once again, from OKC almost all the way to CA as you follow a highway just off I-40? Is there a reason you are basically following the interstates even if you aren't quite on them?
That section is supposed to be the original Rout 66. I got a gpx file and those were the way points to keep you on the original. I figured If once I got on it if it wasn't any good I would re-rout.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Ah okay, I'm a bit more anal and like seriously have the entire thing mapped out ahead of time. I think I would still try to get yourself a bit farther from some of those interstates you are basically following. It will just keep things more interesting.

The one thing I noticed is you pretty much skip the entire Pacific NW? That is pretty nice itself, especially up in Oregon and Washington. Up there is Crater Lake, Mt Ranier, and many other places. Lolo Pass which runs between ID & MT is very scenic and where those signs people post that shows curves for next 77 miles!

You probably don't want to skip CO, but maybe you could go further North as you head West and catch places in CO and Utah as you go out.

Also, Southern Utah has quite the scenery also. Canyonlands national park, Bryce Canyon, etc is all worth seeing there. I was amazed going through Bryce Canyon at the vibrant colors and huge cliffs. Another little gem I happened across is just past a small city called Mexican Hat, UT. Follow Hwy 261 NW from there and you'll see where the road gets extremely twisty for just a couple miles. It basically winds its way up or down the side of the mountain with about a 2k ft change in altitude. Heading NW, you'll go up it. It was amazing coming down that last year.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #15
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian81
If you right click and save as it will work
Still get a .xml file if I do that, must be on my end though...
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote